Talk

Advanced search

to not really want to go to the school fate

(25 Posts)
BCNS Sat 13-Jun-09 11:33:15

it's sunny.. we live rather close to the beach..and I would actually prefer to go there and splosh, get sandy and play cricket and long range catching with the dc's, and then have a nice long evening BBQ with a nice cold glass of wine.

yet school have made such a "you must come" to the dc's that I'm being nagged by them to go.

I don't want to dissappoint.. but I hate being cagooled into going to something and I'd rather pull my own teeth out.

hey and I alway do the xmas one.. and I have done my bit in the past supporting the summer ones. and lets face it.. it's going to cost a fortune for the games that have to be played and the dodgey bbq burger and hot dogs on offer.

IDidntRaiseAThief Sat 13-Jun-09 11:34:38

maybe go to the fete for an hour max. tell dc's they have a fiver each and thats it?

violethill Sat 13-Jun-09 11:35:58

LOL at fate. Was that intentional? The school fete is a fate worse than death.....

I'd go to the beach BTW - far more fun

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 13-Jun-09 11:38:09

It's my Ds's school fete today too...It's Ds's last one and because I've previously always been at work, I've never been to one before, so this time it's me that wants to go...mind you, I went to the Christmas one last year and was bitterly disappointed!

saintmaybe Sat 13-Jun-09 11:54:08

LOL, my dad always called it the 'fate worse than death'

it's only a few hours though

and the dcs LOVE being at school but going a bit mad, and hanging out together

posieparker Sat 13-Jun-09 11:57:02

You should support the school. You may even have a fabulous time and as you live close to the beach there will be plenty of time to go to the beach!!

onthepier Sat 13-Jun-09 12:10:33

I would far rather go to our school summer fete than the Christmas one, it's outside in spacious grounds, so isn't too crowded.

Our Christmas ones tend to involve lengthy queues in hot corridors for Santa's Grotto, carrying all of our winter coats because there's nowhere to put them, trying to get past pushchairs/prams without spilling drinks all over people, arghh! Give me a summer fete any day, smile

Aimsmum Sat 13-Jun-09 12:13:56

Message withdrawn

TheDevilWearsYFronts Sat 13-Jun-09 12:15:10

I offered to help at a baby/toddler table top sale today, I am bloody dreading it.

ah well at least the DC will get knackered on the bouncy castle and go to bed early.

macdoodle Sat 13-Jun-09 12:35:08

Ours too am bloody dreading it ! School put pressure on the children to go, and DD1 best friend is folk dancing so must go to show support!

BUT ....XH OW who he is now with (and who he had a baby with when we were married who is 5 months older than my DD2) - and I honestly am so over them, have a lovely new DP (which is the only reason he is now with OW)...

Anyway though she DOES NOT live in my village nor does her DD go to the village school, her mother does live in the village and she seems to think this is a good enough reason to attend , for some reason to have a go at me .......

Anyway she will almost certainly be there and though I really could care less about her would rather not have to see her at all!! And no doubt DD1 will want to go and say hello to her and half sis - see I am good she does see them with her dad all is civil and grown up ........except I dont want to see her at MY village fete I just dont !

So YANBU lol grin and so sorry for long rambling self indulgent hijack blush

bigchris Sat 13-Jun-09 12:43:59

ours is always on a friday night btw 6pm and 8pm
at least yours doesn't eat into your evening envy

knockedgymnast Sat 13-Jun-09 12:49:18

grin @ bigchris

toast55 Sat 13-Jun-09 12:50:05

go to the fete. I presume the money raised goes to YOUR childrens school.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 13-Jun-09 12:50:31

Does anyone bother at that time of the day bigchris? very odd time IMO!

Marne Sat 13-Jun-09 12:54:29

Our is on a friday night too grin

mummypig Sat 13-Jun-09 13:01:44

ours is today too. dp hates it. We have a deal that I will take the kids as long as he looks after them afterwards, so that I can have my hair cut. smile

Maybe you can do a deal where your dp takes them and you have a break?

Friday night fetes sound crazy.

BCNS Sat 13-Jun-09 13:24:37

ewww evening fetes (fates).

ahh well they money does go to my dc's school.. but seeing as I spent £50 at the christmas one.. I think i've done my bit..along with the buying this and that etc through out the year.. oh.. and I'm sure I'll be able to finacially contribute at the sports day etc as well.

well. problem solved anyway here.. ds2 has blown up again.. so whatever I feel about the fete.. we wouldn't be going anyway. ( don't have anyone here right now to leave ds2 with to be able to take the others).

so.. no beach either! aggghhh well.

but I have found local thing on tomorrow that has a hog roast and things. so that wil be nice.. and I have a sitter for tomorrow if ds2 doesn't calm down as well.

so might as well open the wine now! ..

bigchris Sat 13-Jun-09 13:26:33

an evening one is a pita when you have preschoolers who need to be in bed
and yes they do seem to be people who turn up

BabyJaguar Sat 13-Jun-09 13:29:08

ours is early evenign too
much better

LOL AT "fate"

junglist1 Sat 13-Jun-09 13:33:08

Fate worse than death is well funny! Me and my mates got tipsy on Pimms last year and were dancing in the playground and whooping at the talent show acts roll on the next one!

tassisssss Sat 13-Jun-09 13:36:29

I would so rather give £20 and not have to help set up/do a stall/bake stuff/spend money on stuff we don't really need.

(although having said that it was a nice enough morning)

GypsyMoth Sat 13-Jun-09 13:37:25

Does anyone else have 'themed' fetes?

Ours is a Flintstone theme this year. Outfits are on sale for it at between £6-£8 each....... And they had a preview of outfits in school so of course all the kids want one now!!!

And it's a mufti day on fri and kids have to go dressed in this theme!! The pressure to buy/ go and support is immense!

bigchris Sat 13-Jun-09 13:39:32

omg themed fetes shock

MadameDefarge Sat 13-Jun-09 13:40:00

Am personally loving the idea of being 'cagooled'. will they make you wear rainwear on entering the "fate' wink

I used to love the school fete, really felt exciting. so I reckon YANBU to not really want to go, but might be a BU to not actually pop in!

Have fun, so jealous of beach being nearby!

MadameDefarge Sat 13-Jun-09 13:41:00

oops, missed post about change of plans. hope tomorrow works better for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now