Advanced search

to call the police and report a disturbance every time my neighbours start their massive rows?

(11 Posts)
idranktheteaatwork Sat 13-Jun-09 10:03:01

Our neighbours are loons. I have posted on here about them before but twas a long time ago.
They argue constantly but very loudly and viciously. It puts everyone in my house on edge, they swear constantly when rowing at the tops of their voices, lots of door slamming and throwing things. The mother and son get physical with each other.
And did i mention that this generally happens in the early hours of the morning.

We are all really suffering from lack of sleep now, last night was a shitty night and i am royally fed up with it. They were rowing from 3am ish until about 6.30 this morning.
Their house is up for sale but they haven't had any viewings let alone offers. I would just like for us to be able to live in our house without being on edge because of the nutters next door.

Apart from them it's a lovely street in a good area, all the neighbours are friendly now and we socialise together occasionally which is nice.

It's just this one family. They just sound like they hate each other.

JenniPenni Sat 13-Jun-09 10:09:32

Does your council have a Noise Complaints team? I'd give them a ring when they argue next. They are disturbing the peace.

It's amazing what impact neighbours can have on one's life - luck of the draw I guess.

idranktheteaatwork Sat 13-Jun-09 10:14:25

We do have a noise complaints team but they are not 24 hr here and the worst rows are generally late night/early morning.

I spoke to them and they said that rows probably wouldn't trigger much of a response from them as they tend to look at sustained periods of noise disturbance such as loud music for example or diy noise.
I was a bit hmm about that explanation to be honest, sounds more like a brush off to me.
They are at it again today in their garden. Bastards.

purepurple Sat 13-Jun-09 13:45:33

we are in the same position and have had enough. The neighbours row violently and we have called the police on them the last few times. They came and arrested him and the sense of satisfaction seeing him being hauled into the back of that police van is beyond compare.
The rows are now less frequent and not so violent. We have replaced the dividing fence at the fron that he karate chopped down in a temper. We don't talk, just say hello, they know I don't like them.
We are now trying to sell our house because of these dickheads.
Have they got children?
The police now have to respond to domestic situations where children are present, it is classed as emotional abuse.

Call the local police station when they start and phone them every time they have an arguement

Syb Mon 15-Jun-09 00:00:03

If there are children in the house, phone the social work department/nsccp as well as the police

Every time you call the police, it gets recorded as an incident, even if no action is taken. THis is very useful for the Social Work department because domestic abusers/violent parents always claim that they have never been in a fight before/behaved like that in front of the children. Your calls help workers assess the risk that violent families present. So keep calling.

dizzydixies Mon 15-Jun-09 00:09:06

you need to phone the police every single time it starts, the minute it starts - you can always phone them back to say that its stopped if it has before they arrive BUT they cannot help you if you don't call in

if it persists and becomes an ongoing neighbourhood problem you will be issued a community liaison officer who will talk you through procedure, give you best advice and allow you to have a constant point of contact rather than having to explain over and over again to new officers

it might not be them who attend everytime, officers cannot work 24hrs a day 7days a wk BUT if they're doing they're job properly then the cops who cover where you live will be aware there is a problem and inform him/her everytime they attend

keep calling on your local force NON emergency number unless you feel the disturbance merits a 999 response

FourThingsAndALizard Mon 15-Jun-09 00:10:01

If you complain to the police about your neighbours, you will have to disclose it to your buyer, or risk being sued.

dizzydixies Mon 15-Jun-09 00:10:59

and keep a diary, start writing it all down - times/behaviour etc so you have a point of reference to talk to the officer/council about

its difficult to remember details at the best of times never mind when you're stressed and sleep deprived

Qally Mon 15-Jun-09 00:15:26

FourThingsAndALizard, she's already complained to the noise complaints team. That horse has bolted. And the neighbours are trying to sell, not her (that was Purepurple?).

I think Syb is right, actually. If people reported this kind of thing more often then action might get taken sooner - and people might do it less, too. Bit inhibiting for most people, the realisation that the neighbours hear it too, let alone will call the police.

idranktheteaatwork Mon 15-Jun-09 16:30:09

Hi ladies, just to give you an update, things escalated and we ended up speaking with local social services.
It's in their hands now.

Many thanks for your replies. x

dizzydixies Mon 15-Jun-09 18:59:52

fingers crossed thats it all sorted then - good luck smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: