Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To want to buy my 2yo ds clothes without skulls on?

(18 Posts)
AnybodyHomeMcFly Sat 13-Jun-09 08:23:15

What is it with boys' clothes and death motifs at the mo? I wanted to buy ds some surf style swim shorts the other day and every bloomin option involved skulls. I'm not one to oversentimentalise childhood but am I alone in finding this just a bit wrong for little boys?

Jojay Sat 13-Jun-09 08:25:44

Yep, I agree - and it can be really hard to get plain, bright clothes for boys, not covered in logos etc.

LadyOfWaffle Sat 13-Jun-09 08:27:41

Urgh, yes! I see lovely things only to see a skull and cross bones on it.

broguemum Sat 13-Jun-09 08:30:38

YA so so so so NBU

Do you have JBC in the UK? They are usually pretty good although there is a tendency to have camoflague / air force theme stuff... Or try jako. With the pound getting a bit stronger the prices are reasonable.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Sat 13-Jun-09 08:39:44

Thanks Brogue, I also have low tolerance to camouflage. I love stuff like Katvig and other European brands but they are so expensive compared to the high st brands. Most of ds's stuff in from m&s although the shorts incident was Primark.

helsbels4 Sat 13-Jun-09 08:44:14

Yadnbu! I still can't bring myself to buy ds clothes with skulls and the like on and he's nine!

Little girls clothes have furry cats, rainbows and butterflies, so why do boys have to have skulls?! Makes me cross!

AnybodyHomeMcFly Sat 13-Jun-09 08:52:05

I know! I think boys get just as gender stereotyped as girls, poss even more so. I want to delay that for ds as long as possible and just encourage him to like what he likes - currently steam trains, gardening and Abba!

screamingabdab Sat 13-Jun-09 08:58:53

YANBU

As someone else said, it's the more expensive brands that don't have either skull or camouflage on.

Gap are pretty good,9 when the stuff hasn't got GAP written all over), and at least they have Sales.

Boden also do lovely boys clothes (expensive)

5inthebed Sat 13-Jun-09 09:00:34

H&M are quite good for boys clothes as well.

I triedis several shops the other day to find a plain white tshirt for my 3 year old. It was mission impossible!

mamas12 Sat 13-Jun-09 10:22:49

So agree with this and my boy is 12
Have also recently seen a surf brand top with daggers all over it wtf
Also agree, why this particular type of stereotyping? I bocott it as with the awful playboy stuff for dd.

NancyPreg Sat 13-Jun-09 10:36:04

YANBU. I also dislike the trend for skulls...makes me think of genocide (though realise that it is meant to represent pirates).

Primark sell some great T-shirts for boys, lots of witty logos and pictures.

Pannacotta Sat 13-Jun-09 10:45:45

YANBU I totally agree.
I shop at M&S, Boots (Mini Mode) and H&M for my DSs (age 4 and 2) and have managed to avoid skulls so far...

Poshpaws Sat 13-Jun-09 10:50:02

I have a 2yr old and 4 yr old Dss. They do not own one item of clothing with a skull or daggers on it, so it can be done.
Sainsbo, Next (not everything has skulls, etc in there but you may be subjected to chimps grin), H & M...

Find it more difficult for DS1 (7,nearly 8), but he has no skulls either. A skateboarder t-shirt and camoflage shorts(boak) but no skulls and daggers smile

StayFrosty Sat 13-Jun-09 11:18:37

Mini Mode stuff is nice. Kids Should Be Kids is nice as well, the odd skull/bit of camo, but lots of nice stripy tees. My ds has not even been born yet but I am taking a keen interest in boys' fashion, my pet hate is bratty slogans about how wilful and naughty the wearer is; my dnephew has some dreadful t shirts.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 13-Jun-09 11:28:02

www.adams.co.uk has great surfer shorts in their swimwear section for boys

PrammyMammy Sat 13-Jun-09 11:37:28

Pequillino boys stuff is quite inexpensive and nice. I got a little 3 piece outfit with shorts a vest and a shirt for 10 pounds. They were surfer style. Not sure where sells them, but you can buy it online.

StorDrengPingviner Sat 13-Jun-09 12:12:48

try name it
if you have a credit card, they deliver to uk

posieparker Sat 13-Jun-09 12:27:31

John lewis

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now