Talk

Advanced search

how do I get out of this one?

(4 Posts)
makipuppy Fri 12-Jun-09 13:12:00

We're returning from overseas a month before our first baby is due. We've rented a flat that's an hour train ride from London, where all my friends live. One of my friends (an ex actually) offered to throw a party for our return which I thought was lovely. I did say, oh no, we'll have a house-warming party at our flat anyway and he said, hey, I love having parties, let's do it at my house, it'll be fun. So I said OK, very nice of you. Now I have an email from him suggesting an afternoon bbq/evening part and telling me to go ahead and start inviting people and he'll help me with the salads hmm

I can't be bothered any more and frankly, past resentment of his bossiness is haunting me. But this is a very kind offer, so does anyone have a clever idea about extracting myself without offence?

pinkdelight Fri 12-Jun-09 13:49:12

You have the perfect get-out. A month before your baby is due, you do not want to be flogging into London for a party, so just use the bump as your excuse (maybe compounded by blaming your DP a bit, saying he doesn't want you wearing out etc.) and stay home. Believe me, you'll be using the kids as a get-out for all manner of unappealing events to come. And he can have his own parties whenever he likes.

Longtalljosie Fri 12-Jun-09 14:03:08

Just say you're much more tired than you'd realised last trimester, and you don't think you're up to a party any more. But thank you anyway.

makipuppy Fri 12-Jun-09 14:05:32

Thanks pink I just emailed to say we could do something very scaled down that didn't require salads.

This was the boyfriend I was with for 3 years and his greatest fear was a baby - even now when we meet he completely ignores the fact that I'm pregnant!

Not much fun preparing a wild party knowing you'll be tucked up by midnight...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now