Talk

Advanced search

In thinking that 80 million pounds is a ridiculous amount of money to pay

(38 Posts)
wrinklytum Thu 11-Jun-09 22:13:00

For a man (albeit talented)who kicks a football around.

tiredemma Thu 11-Jun-09 22:13:45

Its obscene.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Thu 11-Jun-09 22:15:01

I agree - it is absurd.

Ewe Thu 11-Jun-09 22:15:11

YANBU makes me sick. Hope he is taxed to fuckery on it.

plonker Thu 11-Jun-09 22:16:30

It's like monopoly money isn't it?!

EyeballshasBackBoobs Thu 11-Jun-09 22:16:47

It's not too much at all. I'd pay far more than that to get rid of the little fecker. Happy day for me

pinkstarfish Thu 11-Jun-09 22:18:14

I think it's disgusting. There are children starving to death in the world FGS angry

Noonki Thu 11-Jun-09 22:23:02

and me eyeballs made me shudder to think he drives near my house

LovelyTinOfSpam Thu 11-Jun-09 22:23:06

Oh this.

I put on news24 to catch up when I got up. And they were going on and on about this. I called DH and said "apparently some bloke who plays football transferring is the headlines"..

Next thing the presenter said to the sports bloke "lots of viewers have complained saying that some bloke who plays football transferring shouldn't be headlines".

So we're not alone smile

But...

Then they continued to go on and on and on about it while running a ticker thing across the bottom saying things like "meteorite headed for earth all to die.... queen exposed as giant 2 headed lizard.... barack obama to divorce michele and marry george w bush.... etc".

Ludicrous.

Rindercella Thu 11-Jun-09 22:26:04

YABU. 'Tis market forces.

That money would not get anywhere near the 'children starving to death'. You may not like it, but it's what makes the world go around.

tallulahbelly Thu 11-Jun-09 22:26:48

It's the market rate one company is prepared to pay another for a commodity.

And Ronaldo, Man Utd and Real Madrid are all famous so make famousx3.

So why do you think it shouldn't be on the news?

southeastastra Thu 11-Jun-09 22:27:07

it's a record offer though isn't it so is news.

wrinklytum Thu 11-Jun-09 22:35:30

I don't think it shouldn't be on the news just that it is silly money!

gerontius Thu 11-Jun-09 22:39:14

He's not going to be taxed on it because he doesn't get it. The club gets it.

LovelyTinOfSpam Thu 11-Jun-09 22:40:15

News24, which normally starts again every 15/30 mins, was not covering anything else at all.

This is not ridiculous? hmm

tallulahbelly Thu 11-Jun-09 22:44:27

Sky does the same 15 minutes thing and are covering Ronaldo and Hugh Grant kicking a pap in the crotch.

However, they are covering the Iranian elections so all is not lost.

Rindercella Thu 11-Jun-09 22:45:07

Try watching Sky bloody Sports News hmm, or listening to one of the sports radio stations. That's wall-to-wall coverage for you! hmm

tallulahbelly Thu 11-Jun-09 22:46:41

Rinder - they would be er, sports channels, wouldn't they?

LightShinesInTheDarkness Thu 11-Jun-09 22:47:00

I think its obscene. With all the problems in the world, surely there must be more useful ways of spending £80 million? FFS.

Rindercella Thu 11-Jun-09 22:51:43

Tallulah, err, yes they would be. hmm

My point was of a moan about DH having these channels on for as much of the time as he can get away with. It can be a little boring. I should've been clearer. Obviously.

LovelyTinOfSpam Thu 11-Jun-09 22:52:27

Sorry wrinkly I have accidentally turned your thread off topic!

Re the money - I don't understand the whole football obsession thing - I just don't get it.

Nearest I can get to it, to try and understand, in a sexist way is maybe it's similar to an actress, getting £££ for an ad campaign? They pay based on the skill and also the interest it will bring to the club.

As it's all private companies I really don't mind that much... If it was Manchester Council paying that for him to come and do some shows in the arndale I'd be rather miffed...

Rindercella Thu 11-Jun-09 22:54:32

The thing is LSITD, Real Madrid would not be spending that £80m on saving the world/feeding the starving children/ending all wars/delete as appropriate. They would've used that money to buy other players. They are a money making machine football club after all. It's their business.

JodieO Thu 11-Jun-09 22:55:56

Shouldn't everyone that earns anything more than they need to live also be moaned about then? Plenty of people earn an obscene amount but it's still far less than that. Live with less "things" etc and donate your spare money to charity if people are so worried about others' earningsand the starving children. I think it's more about jealousy and less about charity though as most poeple could live on a hell of a lot less than they do; but that's ok though hmm

tallulahbelly Thu 11-Jun-09 22:56:01

There are always problems in the world.

Most of them cost vastly more than £80 million to fix.

I was struck the other day that the despot of Gabon, Omar Bongo, died peacefully in his bed after squirreling away billions of his country's oil wealth.

The rest of it is passing into the hands of his son who's called Ali Bongo.

It made me laugh, anyway.

In the circumstances, £80 million in a business deal open to observation, seems reasonable enough to me.

tallulahbelly Thu 11-Jun-09 23:00:39

Rinder - I get you now.

DH doesn't support any team.

That means we watch every football tournament going just in case an English club or a foreign club with players DH likes gets in it wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now