Talk

Advanced search

to have served somebody posh (i.e they own a lovely home in Belgravia) toad in the hole for tea?

(52 Posts)
SemperEadem Thu 11-Jun-09 20:50:55

My DH (forces) invited his superior over for dinner and I didn't have a clue what to cook so plumped for my speciality - toad in the hole.

Am now worried that he thinks we are plebs grin

I have a good repertoire of meals that I can turn out easily and thought about going for more 'posh' meals but you know what I thought stuff it. He seemed to enjoy it & in fact wanted to stay here instead of going out on the preplanned night out.

A lighthearted AIBU. But I was so worried.... why hmm

Ivykaty44 Thu 11-Jun-09 20:53:05

nursery ood wink hardly plebby grin

SemperEadem Thu 11-Jun-09 20:56:07

ta Ivy - was mortified that I had smashed the gravy boat last week whilst washing up and had to pour gravy over his dinner in the kitchen so he couldn't see I was pouring it out of a mug!

Winebeforepearls Thu 11-Jun-09 20:56:13

He would have loved it. If you followed it with roly-poly pudding with custard he would have been your slave for ever grin

SemperEadem Thu 11-Jun-09 20:58:16

ha ha - I followed it with copious amounts of Sauvignon Blanc & Bulmers Cider instead - he's happy grin

Mintyy Thu 11-Jun-09 20:59:25

Semper - you don't need to worry about this stuff, honestly. He is not better than you because he owns a home in Belgravia. You don't need to be mortified that you don't have a gravy boat atm. Stop fretting over it.

foxinsocks Thu 11-Jun-09 21:02:09

cor I love toad in the hole <drool>

it's the one dish I CANNOT get right and I like cooking so if you wish to share your secret, I'm all ears grin

Kbear Thu 11-Jun-09 21:02:25

I bet he LOVED it and thought "what a woman, what a cook, what a lucky man her husband is, I really must ask <<insert name of posh Belgravia wife>> to knock up a bit of Toad in the 'ole for dinner next week".

diedandgonetodevon Thu 11-Jun-09 21:02:32

I don't think anyone would turn their nose up at a nice home cooked meal.

DamonBradleylovesPippi Thu 11-Jun-09 21:02:35

I bet he thought "thank god for that!" grin

SemperEadem Thu 11-Jun-09 21:03:33

I know you are right Mintyy, but I am from a typical working class family & sometimes when faced with people like this I worry (don't know why, my family is the best, fullstop).

But the army is a funny machine, I am confident in my own status to not feel like I have to impress but the gravy boat thing made me laugh - as did the salt grinder thing (it had bust 2 weeks before & I kept forgetting to replace it so he had to pour it direct from the big bottle (Asda smart price type stuff too).

I just thought uh oh! grin

DamonBradleylovesPippi Thu 11-Jun-09 21:03:42

Oh and please illuminate me on what a toad in the hole is pleeeeaaaase [not british emoticon]

Hulababy Thu 11-Jun-09 21:04:15

toad int he hole is a big Yorkshire pudding with sausages baked within it.

Kbear Thu 11-Jun-09 21:05:06

It is something only real mums can cook <<fails miserably emoticon!!>>

DamonBradleylovesPippi Thu 11-Jun-09 21:05:40

UHHHHHHH yorkshire pudding is my favourite thing ever, and with sausage and gravy sounds really deeeelish. I bet he'll insist on coming again! Thanks Hula.

SemperEadem Thu 11-Jun-09 21:06:59

fox in socks - add a smidgen of boiling water to the batter mixture (makes it rise a treat) - my mil is from Yorkshire and tis a secret I was passed down in top secret stylee - oh sh*t grin I even have to cut the puddings away from the top of the oven!

That and above 80% pork sausages & at least 4 eggs (shut up semper - you are giving the family secrets away grin)

foxinsocks Thu 11-Jun-09 21:08:20

shhhhh I will not tell a SOUL I promise wink

excellent tips, thanks very much for those. I shall try again and hopefully have the perfect hole for those toads!

DamonBradleylovesPippi Thu 11-Jun-09 21:10:12

semper could I come too. not posh but promise to eat it all.

scaryteacher Thu 11-Jun-09 21:11:09

They all sit on the loo with their trousers round their ankles whatever rank they are; I wouldn't worry about it.

Now, if you'd made him a Baby's Head he's have taken you home with him!

Lizzylou Thu 11-Jun-09 21:11:55

MY DH makes me Toad in the hole (I can't do it envy, though now I know your secrets I may be able to) and it is scrumptious.

Bet he loved it.

SemperEadem Thu 11-Jun-09 21:12:13

You are all more than welcome. Am annoyed at myself for getting all worried now <daft cow emoticon>

SemperEadem Thu 11-Jun-09 21:13:31

Que? Babys head? Enlighten me scary teacher!!

<semper eagerly listens in order to learn Nigella style tips>

scaryteacher Thu 11-Jun-09 21:19:37

Navy speak for steak and kidney pudding, much beloved of the submarine fraternity. Shit on a raft is kidneys on toast; sausages are snorkers.

SemperEadem Thu 11-Jun-09 21:22:26

ah i get it! grin

So if I served it with twinkly fairy lights in the background, me in a low cut wrap dress & sucking suggestively on me fingers would that count as Nigella stylee grin

<Semper goes to bed as the Sauvignon has obv. had an impact on her too & all this domestic goddess stuff has gone to her head>

dilemma456 Thu 11-Jun-09 21:58:37

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now