Talk

Advanced search

To send DH and PILs off to the shops despite knowing they will be closed?

(21 Posts)
Schnullerbacke Thu 11-Jun-09 20:04:19

So PILs are here to stay for 3 months (1 week gone, 78 days left to go) and already I feel like I have lost my freedom to do as I please.

Anyway, here in Germany we have a bank holiday today (DH had to work so didn't realise) and when he came back this afternoon he wanted to take his bored parents around the shops. I was just about to say that the shops would be closed but by then he already left the kitchen so very unfortunately the words --were deliberately stuck in my throat-- perhaps not properly heard and off he went. For good measure, I also sent my eldest along so I could --have a nice relaxing hour to myself-- make the house sparkle.

So, AIBU?

MIAonline Thu 11-Jun-09 20:10:02

YANBU, if that was the only way to get an hour of peace and quiet.

Good idea actually grin

VinoEsmeralda Thu 11-Jun-09 20:10:29

No I dont think so grin

Portofino Thu 11-Jun-09 20:15:57

What was the BH in aid of? I know we didn't have one in Belgium so imagine not a religious holiday....I had a UK supplier ring me today who mentioned it and wondered what the date was. I said something like "maybe it's Great Beer celebration day or something" to which he responded that it might be a celebration of the Third Reich! shock I quickly ended the conversation....

And no, YANBU, though my supplier obviously is....

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Thu 11-Jun-09 20:18:19

Seems to be Corpus Christi so pretty religious smile

Spidermama Thu 11-Jun-09 20:18:54

Not only are you NBU but YABS (You Are Being Saintly) to allow your PILs to reside under your battlements for three months.

I wish you the very best of luck and a thousand bank holidays.

DamonBradleylovesPippi Thu 11-Jun-09 20:19:53

YANBU at all grin, quite very reasonable to me too. Will remember next time for DH.

LadyAga Thu 11-Jun-09 20:23:22

Naughty Clever Schnullerbacke! grin

abroadandmisunderstood Thu 11-Jun-09 20:25:52

hahahahahaha!!! Love it! I am in Germany too.

My darling DH downloaded something from a school "friend" on Facebook and it has destroyed his laptop. It refuses to work at home so this BH he was in his office.

Took the kids out on an emergency bike ride before they ripped each other's toys apart and came across a very dark Bavarian Catholic procession in our town.

(AAM high fives schnullerbacke for getting the ILs out)

abroadandmisunderstood Thu 11-Jun-09 20:25:53

hahahahahaha!!! Love it! I am in Germany too.

My darling DH downloaded something from a school "friend" on Facebook and it has destroyed his laptop. It refuses to work at home so this BH he was in his office.

Took the kids out on an emergency bike ride before they ripped each other's toys apart and came across a very dark Bavarian Catholic procession in our town.

(AAM high fives schnullerbacke for getting the ILs out)

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 11-Jun-09 20:27:30

OP - you sound a very resourceful and intelligent lady.

grin

abroadandmisunderstood Thu 11-Jun-09 20:27:40

how did I do a doppel???

screamingabdab Thu 11-Jun-09 20:28:18

3 MONTHS ????!!!

I would not want my best friend to stay with me for 3 months.

YANBU

Jux Thu 11-Jun-09 20:30:40

Sounds like an excellent idea to me. They can window shop and decide what delights they are going to treat you to as thanks for putting up with them being such a wonderful host to them (for soooooo long - why?).

doobry Thu 11-Jun-09 20:31:54

Genius!

Schnullerbacke Thu 11-Jun-09 20:56:16

Thanks for all your support, I didn't think I was being unreasonable wink.

I wouldn't want my own parents to stay for 3 months either but they have come a long way...

I suppose I should be grateful that I have a pretty good MIL, she only came her to help me with the newborn. She isn't even annoying as such (probably due to the fact that we can't communicate properly as we both speak different languages), she isn't interfering or anything like that - I just want my house back.

What makes it most difficult is that where they come from, they are not used to go for a walk etc so its very hard work to keep them entertained. Although I have been playing with the idea of making it even more boring at home so that maybe they'll go back earlier....

So next time YOUR PILs are coming - be grateful to the small things in life - they are probably not coming for 3 months.

DamonBradleylovesPippi Thu 11-Jun-09 21:17:44

hmmm in which country they are not used to go for walks... I'd have gone for the USA or SA but they'd speak english there....

very curious now.

Schulte Thu 11-Jun-09 21:36:09

I am intrigued too Schnullerbacke... nice name btw grin and well done on getting them out of the house!

GentlyDidIt Thu 11-Jun-09 21:54:44

Fantastic effort, YANBU at all.

I don't think you can try to pull this one again over the next 3 months though!

3 months of hostessing - what a championship effort. I hope everyone appreciates that you WILL need peace and quiet from each other now and then.

toddlerama Thu 11-Jun-09 22:08:23

YANBU, although you might have played your wild card too early. Are there any more bank holidays? Perhaps you could print up fake flyers for events to send them off to? wink

DrEvil Fri 12-Jun-09 11:56:36

Are they from Rwanda or Burundi? My aunts is and although she is a gorgeously kind lady she thinks walking or doing anything without a defined 'point' is silly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now