Talk

Advanced search

to want to bin half my children's toys?

(9 Posts)
ThingOne Thu 11-Jun-09 19:31:00

I'm sick of tripping over things that have been strewn throughout the house. I've just issued a new edict that anything that's not put back in the playroom before bedtime will be chucked.

EyeballshasBackBoobs Thu 11-Jun-09 19:36:23

Yes YABmassivelyU. I want to bin all of dd's toys.

pjmama Thu 11-Jun-09 19:37:54

Ah! The black bin bag approach to tidying! Dipping into the classics...

I'm right there with you, some days I just want to hire a skip and sling the lot in.

pjmama Thu 11-Jun-09 19:37:56

Ah! The black bin bag approach to tidying! Dipping into the classics...

I'm right there with you, some days I just want to hire a skip and sling the lot in.

pjmama Thu 11-Jun-09 19:38:24

How did that end up there twice?! Wierd.

Kbear Thu 11-Jun-09 19:41:39

I think communal tidy up the toys time is the answer. They are kids, they'll never tidy them away without some structure organised by you.

Turn the telly off, tell them they have five minutes to put the stuff away and say you'll time them, explain it doesn't mean chuck it in a cupboard but put away properly and you will be making the hot chocolate and choosing a story for when they're finished (and getting the black sack ready for the toys they don't put away properly!! <<evil>>)

This is assuming your kids aren't toddlers in which case you will have to tidy up with them.

I went to the charity shop today with a CAR FULL of stuff, it was wonderfully therapeutic!

Mummyisamonster Thu 11-Jun-09 19:46:46

Ooh, I am envious. I make these threats, and have even (but only once) chucked stuff away but then thought 'No, I spent X amount on all of that stuff crap toot' and retrieved it from outside.

I am weak. Teach me your ways blush

ThingOne Thu 11-Jun-09 19:50:23

Ah, yes, the mythical communal tidy up. We do turn off the TV. The 3 year old often joins in quite well, the five year old rarely, so I end up <ahem> repeating myself to him in clear and distinct manner. The 3 year old then seems to work out that he's doing all the work and his big brother is sitting on his bum whingeing.

Hence the ratcheting up of the communal tidy up to threatening to chuck if tidying not done. You are right, tomorrow I will grab a bin bag at the start and practise my evil mother cackle.

Tonight they missed Charlie and Lola and the CBeebies bedtime story as they were too busy jumping from sofa and sofa to help tidy up. I may have to sit down and watch C&L myself later, as missing it really spoils the day wink.

Kbear Thu 11-Jun-09 20:03:40

The stuff I took to the charity shop was actually stuff they have grown out off, it was an attempt to clear space to put away stuff they actually play with, it wasn't done in rage LOL but I've been tempted many times.

Three and five is quite young, mine are 7 and 10 and they know I mean business but at your children's ages they don't really understand the threats so much do they?

I know what you mean about chucking stuff that you paid for! can't do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now