Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not reply to a message with very poor grammar?

(34 Posts)
VinegarTits Thu 11-Jun-09 18:16:29

Now i am certainly no pedant, but i just got this message from some guy on a dating site i use:

"hi fancy a chAT HON

JOHN XXX"

is he lazy or just stupid?

I am not going to reply.

LovelyTinOfSpam Thu 11-Jun-09 18:17:53

YANBU at all.

Not appealing in any way.

HecatesTwopenceworth Thu 11-Jun-09 18:18:52

Not unreasonable at all.

shootfromthehip Thu 11-Jun-09 18:19:11

God if he's that lazy on first impressions can you imagine how bad he would be when you get to know him? Hon. Hmmphhh

Grammaticus Thu 11-Jun-09 18:20:10

Maybe he's lazy AND stupid?

VinegarTits Thu 11-Jun-09 18:21:23

maybe its some new form of dating speak, like txt spk grin

VerityClinch Thu 11-Jun-09 18:30:51

Similarly, this is the response I got to something I posted on freecycle today, asking for pick up before the weekend...

"Please i give them to me, as i cant aford one this. I will collect them on saturday"

Er, no you won't.

MIAonline Thu 11-Jun-09 18:31:46

YABU, he may have other more important qualities grin

mumblechum Thu 11-Jun-09 18:32:21

But Verity, it sounds as though English isn't their first language - maybe they just don't have the vocab for polite communication?

SusieDerkins Thu 11-Jun-09 18:32:34

"HON"

Run away, far away......

VerityClinch Thu 11-Jun-09 18:37:13

Mumblechum, you might be right, but to be honest, it's someone I've come across before who always wants EVERYTHING and can be a bit aggressive - but that aside, the crap language, punctuation and spelling still winds me up.

Anyway, sorry for minor hijack.

juicyjolly Thu 11-Jun-09 18:41:26

Does this mean you take a dislike to anyone who does not speak the Queens English? Or is it more to do with you not particularly liking this fella?

Would you feel the same if he was absolutly gorgeous?

Peachy Thu 11-Jun-09 18:44:38

the title made me think twas a friend or parent on text or MN and I though YANBU and a bit of a twat

however on a dating site it's as you find it, if it puts you off don't go there.

TrillianAstra Thu 11-Jun-09 18:47:16

If I were on a dating site I would at least expect them to try. I could forgive a typo or two and maybe even little bit of your/you're confusion (maybe hmm not sure how lenient I am), but not random capitals and 'HON'.

wolfnipplechips Thu 11-Jun-09 18:47:45

OK YANBU at all, but when i first met my dh i was on my way to Australia, he started emailing me and his spelling was horrendous, i was so put off although i had really liked him when we first met. I was so put off i was having doubts about meeting him again blush.So iunderstand where you are coming from.

Anyway it turned out he is really dyslexic but very very clever and hot too. It all worked out in the end so maybe a meeting might be worth while.

CornishKK Thu 11-Jun-09 18:50:34

YANBU - I judge people by their spelling and grammar, I can't stand text speak even in a text.

On a dating website all you have to go by is the quality of the e-mail (and sometimes a carefully chosen photo).

My DH was very lucky that I met him in RL, his mis-spelling of the word hamster would have been enough to put me off - you might think this wouldn't get used often enough to cause a problem but his term of affectionate for me was the "Ideas Hampster".

TrillianAstra Thu 11-Jun-09 18:51:22

Oh and you know in Jilly Cooper books anyone with dyslexic is automatically a saint, or at least very very nice and kind and well-intentioned.

Peachy Thu 11-Jun-09 18:54:53

'term of affectionate for me '

of affection surely?

grin LOL grin

wolfnipplechips Thu 11-Jun-09 18:55:14

Do you mean dylexia Trillian? grin

wolfnipplechips Thu 11-Jun-09 18:56:09

then i spell it wrong blush, will try again dyslexia.

Peachy Thu 11-Jun-09 18:56:15

even dyslexia?

wolfnipplechips Thu 11-Jun-09 18:58:15

Damn it, Trillian usually gets me with spellings, was trying to get her back and i messed up.

CornishKK Thu 11-Jun-09 18:59:51

God damn I knew that would happen. grin

I feel judged.

TrillianAstra Thu 11-Jun-09 19:05:29

That's not a spelling, that's a brain-jiggle, where I start out thinking 'anyone with dyslexia' and then decide to write 'anyone who is dyslexic' but my fingers and brain don't communicate.

Do I get you with spellings wolfy? I don't remember doing it. I try to restrict myself to people who write (sp?) after a word, because I assume they want to be corrected (and because my typing usually lets me down anyway).

wotulookinat Thu 11-Jun-09 19:14:06

Hon? Hon? That's worse than Hun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now