Talk

Advanced search

to send this letter to our local Minister?

(8 Posts)
shootfromthehip Thu 11-Jun-09 14:58:21

AIBU to send this?

Dear Minister

We currently occupy a wee hoose (obviously not the real address) which shares a boundary with the Kirk Hall and the side area of the Kirk itself which provides us with access to our back garden. This shared access, whilst not ideal for either party, has not presented any major problems for either side as we do not currently use the rear access to our property for vehicular access. This said there have been several occasions when I have been prevented from accessing or leaving my back garden as a result of vehicles being parked in front of the gate. Fortunately on those occasions the Hall Keeper Mr Man has been able to ascertain whom the car belongs to and has moved them on. Mr Man had been very helpful and considerate to us since we moved here and for that I am very grateful.

Unfortunately of late we have had problems with people accessing our garden to do work on or check the fabric of the Hall building. I have no problem with people having access and will facilitate that access in any way I can. I value the facility that the Hall provides, indeed we had our Wedding Reception in the Kirk Hall and I now attend XYZ Kids Toddler Group there. I am delighted that the Committee that runs the Hall endeavour to keep the building in such good condition and even my Husband clears the gutter on ‘our’ side. Again, I do not wish to prevent people accessing our garden when required and am happy for them to do so but I understandably have to be made aware of their intention to do so. There have been approximately twelve time occasions when, unauthorised by me, workmen or even Committee members have accessed my garden without my permission, the most recent of which being last Thursday when a builder did not knock my door but took it upon himself to enter the garden (4th June). My primary objection to this is that on several occasions my back gate/ gates (of which we have 2) have been left open. I have two small children (two and five) who would happily exploit the new-found freedom that an open gate would offer them and for this reason unauthorised access is untenable. I have to insist that I am contacted before anyone tries to access my garden for security reasons, and so that I can ensure that my children are not unwittingly talking to unauthorised strangers. I am happy to grant access once I have been made aware of the necessity of this, however I would expect there to be more consideration for the fact that these people are entering a private garden.

I would hope that you understand my concerns and are able to implement a more thorough system for access. Please may I reiterate that Mr Man has been very considerate and does ensure that all workmen check before accessing my garden however there does need to be a procedure for when he is not available? I would appreciate your help in resolving this matter and am sure that you will be able to remedy my problem now that it has been brought to your attention. I would also appreciate being informed as to the outcome of any new systems being put in place.

Thank you for your time,

In anticipation of your reply,

Yours Sincerely

Shootfromthehip

Thanks for your opinions folks (I know it's stupidly waffly but hopefully not too much)

triggerhappybaby Thu 11-Jun-09 15:06:51

<applause>

Exactly the right note to hit I reckon

mcfee Thu 11-Jun-09 15:09:23

Exactly right.
Send it now.

Stigaloid Thu 11-Jun-09 15:12:49

Very good - i'd be livid if strange men were walking around my property without my consent. I'd also get a lock on your back garden/gate pronto as others may see it is easily opened and can be an invite for intruders.

shootfromthehip Thu 11-Jun-09 15:35:34

Thanks all- was hoping it hit the balance between indignant and reasonable grin

Will post it today

MsSpentYoof Thu 11-Jun-09 15:39:42

Then put a lock on the back of the gate!

V. good letter btw

mayorquimby Thu 11-Jun-09 16:39:23

it's good. perfectly reasonable and can't see how it would put anyones nose out of joint. a reasonable request, requested reasonably.

MadameDefarge Thu 11-Jun-09 16:41:22

top letter. and second MSPY also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now