Talk

Advanced search

Big Brother - Halfwit

(24 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 11-Jun-09 11:55:28

Isn't that the most offensive nickname? It makes me cringe and although I haven't watched one episode this year grin he's up for eviction so keeps popping up in advert breaks. How can they have OKed a contestant with the name 'halfwit'?

Pilki Thu 11-Jun-09 11:56:54

They gave him the name!!! They told him he had to change his name to Halfwit by deedpoll in order to become a proper housemate!! Outrageous

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 11-Jun-09 11:57:48

What????????????????

That's unbelievable. I may complain. Seriously - if I can be arsed I will. Shocking!

littlelamb Thu 11-Jun-09 11:59:46

He is very smackable. I think the tables have turned this year and BB are trying to show how far some people will humiliate themselves for their 15 minutes of fame. There's a girl called Dogface too

burningupinspeed Thu 11-Jun-09 11:59:48

God I am so glad I haven't been watching - did they really make someone change their name? I don't know what's worse - BB for coming up with it or the person for doing it. There are no BB forums anymore, are there?

funkybuddah Thu 11-Jun-09 12:00:24

Halfwit and dogface, very funny i think, they were that desperate to get into the house they AGREED to it! therefor nothing to complain about, if they contestants are not offend why the hell should anyone bloody complain, its people complaining that has ruined BB

girlylala0807 Thu 11-Jun-09 12:00:53

To be fair if he was daft enough to do it then more fool him.

ginnny Thu 11-Jun-09 12:02:05

here's one!
Rant away!!!
grin

fucksticks Thu 11-Jun-09 12:04:08

I still cant quite believe they did it myself.
Halfwit is studying at Oxford uni. He obviouslt wants a decent career. Does he not realise that when he goes to apply for jobs etc afterwards and on various official forms they will have a section that says 'any previous names'???

LadyOfWaffle Thu 11-Jun-09 12:06:58

I thought about the previous names thing too...

But I doubt it was 'real' TBH - don't they need witness signatures etc? But halfwit seems a perfect name for him grin I laughed when Lisa thought it was Dipshit blushgrin

Merrylegs Thu 11-Jun-09 12:08:20

He had to change it by deed poll as part of a challenge to become a real housemate. Think a girl had to change hers to Dogface

It is quite unbelievable. I did complain one year when that really young girl had to pretend to be the much older guy's (Mario?) fiancee and he got really shirty with her for not sitting on his lap and playing kissey kissey with him in an attempt to fool the other housemates. I thought it was appalling. I guess you could say more fool them for taking part, but she was barely legal and it was a step too far on the part of Channel 4 IMO.

This deed poll think is quite pathetic. I took great pleasure in switching off and have not watched since.

Funny how, as this is the last BB, Davina seems to be doing all the 'spin off' shows too (BBLB etc). Trying to capatilise on her income I guess before unemployment beckons next year...

The whole shebang is quite revolting and I would be embarrassed to have that on my cv if I were part of the production team.

Walkingwiththighosaurs Thu 11-Jun-09 12:17:44

Have they really changed them legally. This is the first year I have not watched Big Brother, can't be arsed to be honest.

wotulookinat Thu 11-Jun-09 12:18:32

I doubt it very much if it is a legal thing.

ginnny Thu 11-Jun-09 12:18:39

Is it the last BB?? shock
I'm not sure if it is a completely legal name change. Even if it is, it is their choice. Halfwit wants to go into politics and Dogface wants to be a WAG so probably the best names for them!!

abbyzeeble Thu 11-Jun-09 13:11:26

lmao fucksticks, I hadn't thought of that!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 11-Jun-09 16:33:48

Funkybuddha I'm offended because 'halfwit' is a derogatory term for a person with learning disabilities.

littlelamb Thu 11-Jun-09 16:36:20

I think you're reading too much into that Kat. Dogface isn't exactly a term of endearment either.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 11-Jun-09 16:40:59

How am I reading too much into it? Halfwit is a term for a 'simple' person (not my choice of expression) and it's really not very nice. Dogface is hardly the same.

TrinityRhino Thu 11-Jun-09 16:44:16

definition of half-wit is stupid incompetent person
dont see the problem myself

FairLadyRantALot Thu 11-Jun-09 16:50:16

well..that guy obviously is a halfwit, so, the name seems appropriate, surely....Idiot would be appropriate, too...I suppose...

Tidey Thu 11-Jun-09 16:51:18

It's not like they made him change it to Retard or Spastic or any other term that had a real meaning but was annexed by the ignorant to use as childish insults though, is it?

ginnny Thu 11-Jun-09 16:56:51

I've never heard the term halfwit used to describe someone with learning difficulties. I don't think the term 'simple' is very nice either.
I think you are reading too much into it too.
You don't have to watch it.

wotulookinat Thu 11-Jun-09 16:59:52

I think 'halfwit' suits him completely grin

icedgemsrock Thu 11-Jun-09 17:31:49

They haven't changed them legally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now