Talk

Advanced search

to think my mum should give my children ice cream money for their holiday like she does for her other grandchildren?

(9 Posts)
deaconblue Thu 11-Jun-09 10:46:18

She has always given my niece and nephew a pound a day for an ice cream when they go on holiday. We've been on holiday 3 times since ds was born (this will be dd's first holiday) and no ice cream money. I wouldn't dream of asking why, but I suspect it's because we have more disposable income than my sister but it does make me sad as I think it's a lovely tradition and it seems unfair one set of grandchildren should be treated when the other set isn't.

SouthMum Thu 11-Jun-09 10:51:43

YANBU - I have a strict "won't give to one without the other" rule when it comes to kids. If its a treat it doesn't matter what your income is.

katiestar Thu 11-Jun-09 10:52:19

Does she see less or do less for the other GCs ?

NoBiggy Thu 11-Jun-09 10:53:29

My mum does this, for the same reason I think.

I completely understand it, but you're right, it is a little sad. Also the outings mine miss out on seem very unfair.

deaconblue Thu 11-Jun-09 10:57:06

No she sees them the same amount as we all live near each other. Probably does slightly more for my children as mine are younger and I tend to ask for a bit more help. She even gets the money in the holiday currency too which is really exciting for niece and nephew.

choccyp1g Thu 11-Jun-09 11:05:48

I'm looking out for the opposite thread. "My mum gives money direct to the children specifically for ice-creams, but I don't want them having ice-cream every day, and anyway I should be the one giving treats." grin
But I'd see it that your mum knows money is tight for them, so this is her way of helping out discreetly.

ChippingIn Thu 11-Jun-09 11:19:51

How old are your 2? Maybe she thinks they're too young for ice cream money?

Are you generally 'fussy' about their diet - is there any chance she thinks you wouldn't want them having money for ice cream?

If your eldest knows the others get the 'treat' from her, why not tell her that and say he's feeling a bit left out...

Else - just try not to let it bother you and enjoy getting to be the spoiling one to let him have money everyday for ice cream grin

MrsMichaelSchofield Thu 11-Jun-09 11:25:10

I think grandparents should treat DC and GC equally, and that this should nave nothing whatever to do with your income. MIL repeatedly gives BIL money for things on the basis that he has a lower income than DH, yet at the same time DH has a much higher mortgage and also has DCs, which BIL doesn't, so he definitely has a lower disposable income.

deaconblue Thu 11-Jun-09 20:42:13

don't think it's because I'm strict with food but it might just be that she thinks they are too small to have their own money (can't really remember when she started giving money to my sister's children). It's not about the ice cream or the money, just the principle of giving the same to all grandchildren that bothers me. Is not a big deal, but am pleased to see others think the same as me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now