Talk

Advanced search

Costs of holidaying in the UK!!!!

(16 Posts)
hannahsaunt Wed 10-Jun-09 14:26:40

AIBU to expect to be able to find 2 bedroom self-catering accommodation somewhere in Edinburgh/Lothians/Borders (so quite a large geographical area!) for 2 weeks that costs less than taking us all to France for a fortnight (or anywhere else in Europe for that matter)? What happened to all that credit crunch stuff, cheaper to stay at home, boost the British economy?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 10-Jun-09 14:28:08

It's definitely cheaper to stay at home, have you seen the cost of taking a car over on the ferry.

We have a caravan for a week in Dorset in school holidays for £500 this year (sleeps 6) smile

bargainhuntingbetty Wed 10-Jun-09 14:29:08

What about a Caravan/chalet at Seaton Sands???

Bonneville Wed 10-Jun-09 14:30:44

OMG £500 for a week in a bloody caravan???

Lovesdogsandcats Wed 10-Jun-09 14:31:47

www.directholidaybookings.co.uk/location_Scotland/Edinburgh-and-Lothians/2-Bedrooms/Edinburgh-HGH613 25

This is cheap!

hannahsaunt Wed 10-Jun-09 14:33:24

See what I mean? I was hoping to find somewhere in the locale as dh is being posted to Edinburgh for 3 months (he'll be given a room in shared hospital accommodation) and I thought I could be there from 1 August until the schools go back and hang out with the children, play at being a tourist at home (I have family in the area but don't really want to land on them for a fortnight - we'd all go a bit mad).

hannahsaunt Wed 10-Jun-09 14:37:09

LDC - wow! I thought I had gone through every site on google! Shame it's not available though sad would have been perfect.

TheCrackFox Wed 10-Jun-09 14:38:04

TBH the month of August is horrifically expensive in Edinburgh. A combination of the school holidays and The Fesitival mean that prices always get jacked up.

Have you looked for anything slightly further out like Stirling or even Glasgow?

muddleduck Wed 10-Jun-09 14:38:09

Is is house swap an option?

bargainhuntingbetty Wed 10-Jun-09 14:40:33

What about these

hannahsaunt Wed 10-Jun-09 14:40:57

Hmm. Have been looking all down the east coast (and sort of inland from there - East Lothian/Borders) to be still within reasonable commuting distance by car or train to parents/brother's family rather than Ed itself (glorious though that would be). I guess Glasgow could just about fall into that category if in the city. Draw the line at Livingstone though wink.

House swapping - again, have toyed with the idea though have always assumed that someone from there wouldn't really want a 2 week holiday in Aberdeen. Could be wrong though!

hannahsaunt Wed 10-Jun-09 14:45:04

BHB - these are fab! Just waiting for my friendly callback ... fingers crossed.

bargainhuntingbetty Wed 10-Jun-09 14:46:18

Or this

bargainhuntingbetty Wed 10-Jun-09 14:47:30

And what is wrong with Livingston, {BHB gives her away her place of residence?}

hannahsaunt Wed 10-Jun-09 14:56:12

You're right! I'm showing my mid/east lothian biased upbringing! Loved hostelling when we just had 2 and 2 adults but not sure I can do it with the baby in tow on my own this time round.

bargainhuntingbetty Wed 10-Jun-09 14:57:35

I was only kidding. I live in Livingston but would have NO desire whatsoever to holiday here./

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now