Talk

Advanced search

to get mad when i work all week and get taxed

(23 Posts)
argow Wed 10-Jun-09 02:00:01

I am a student & have only been working for two months. I do not mind tax for nhs ect but when its going to people who sit on their ass all day its totally unacceptable. I do not mind mothers who do not work or people who canr work but when people just sit there all day abusing drugs & alcohol it gets me really annoyed. Does anybody else find it unaceptable that people are allowed to do nothing all day and get paid for it?

EachPeachPearMum Wed 10-Jun-09 02:39:54

you mean like most students do? hmm
Well no, not really.
YABU- we pay tax for the good of society. society needs people to look down on too.

SomeGuy Wed 10-Jun-09 02:40:58

Do trolls get paid for trolling all day?

weegiemum Wed 10-Jun-09 03:08:29

hmm

theres a lot of this about tonight?

argow Wed 10-Jun-09 03:23:09

this isnt trolling its a genuine question

if i was a troll surely id come up with somthing more interesting than this?

argow Wed 10-Jun-09 03:25:30

EachPeachPearMum on Wed 10-Jun-09 02:39:54
you mean like most students do?
Well no, not really.
YABU- we pay tax for the good of society. society needs people to look down on too.

I shouldnt be getting taxed yet as it is my first job & im not looking down on society if you had read my thread properly it is just talking about people who cannot be arsed to work which is a fair point.

why should people who are able to work but cant be arsed get paid for it?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 10-Jun-09 03:54:49

What, like your boyfriend? hmm

argow Wed 10-Jun-09 04:10:17

Its about the same subject isnt it?

why are you calling me a troll?

and yes like my boyfriend thats why ive wrote a thread about it...

you obviously dont know anything do you OldLadyKnowsNothing if i was a troll surely i would put somthing more interesting on

please dont post on my thread again if your just going to call me names

argow Wed 10-Jun-09 04:17:08

i also have other posts from today would you like to read them aswell and call me a troll

echt Wed 10-Jun-09 05:24:04

But the people abusing drugs and alcohol can't work because they're too stoned/pissed. You may not like their reasons, but they still can't work.

Are you fat? do you drink/smoke? You may be a burden to society soon enough. Don't rush to judge.

echt Wed 10-Jun-09 05:24:50

That should be "Do".

EachPeachPearMum Wed 10-Jun-09 08:03:21

well argow- Why shouldn't you pay tax?
first job? so what. I've paid tax/ni since I was 16, including when I was a fully self-funded student.
I think there should be a higher personal allowance to stop penalising low-earners yes, but you don't say you're a low earner.

HecatesTwopenceworth Wed 10-Jun-09 08:09:20

Why shouldn't you get taxed on your first job?

yanbu if you mean that the system needs an overhaul and people need to see that it is a short term safety net not a long term thing.

People need to be supported to get trained and it needs to be changed so you are always better off working.

But with unemployment the highest it's been in god knows how long, you might like to point people in the direction of all these jobs they ought to be getting.

kitbit Wed 10-Jun-09 08:10:43

I agree it's frustrating when your payslip shows what you would have earned had you not paid tax...and then the tax deductions, however everyone pays tax. You are not special because you are a student or on your first job, that's the way it is. Nothing to do with where the money goes, or who uses it.
And if you're upset with your boyfriend because you think he's lazy, get on to him about it. That's the real issue here and why it bites - because your perception is that you are funding his laziness.

Baisey Wed 10-Jun-09 08:15:03

Its just one of those things... You work. You pay tax. <shrugs> Some people cant work, im all for helping them.
Some people (like your bf) are most likely just lazy workshy gits, but thats life. For what its worth I had one of those... he got dumped.
grin

missingtheaction Wed 10-Jun-09 08:15:36

Argow, if this is a serious question then the serious answer is this.

Yes it is hugely infuriating to see people taking advantage of the system to be lazy layabouts. You know your bf is a lazy layabout who doesn't deserve your hard earned tax. Unfortunately it is sometimes very difficult to discriminate between lazy layabouts and people who are just plain unemployable.

In this country we choose to support the weak and vulnerable. The downside of this is that, in order to make sure we don't accidentally exclude the truly deserving we err on the side of generosity and support some people who are just plain lazy. But that's the price we pay for our generosity.

And before everyone shrieks 'but we don't support pensioners/the sick' etc, compared to many other countries we do. Free healthcare, tax credits, housing benefit, state pensions, income support, jobseekers allowances, nursing care for the elderly - there is quite a good safety net here compared to many places.

So that's the answer.

I like to think of my tax money going to pay my mum's pension and healthcare and a bit of my partner's paramedic salary. Makes me feel a lot better.

Tee2072 Wed 10-Jun-09 08:35:58

Agreed missingtheaction.

Also, taxes don't just pay for the unemployable/unemployed. They pay for:

Police
Fire
Street maintenance
Armed forces
Paramedics
General emergency services

And lots more.

Without taxes? The country would come to a standstill.

And I wouldn't say you sound like a troll. But you do sound like an immature person who needs to grow up. A lot.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 10-Jun-09 09:02:38

Tax goes on a whole lot more than benefits. Do you realise that you get a tax free allowance of approx £6000 a year? As you have started working partway through the year you may be entitled to a rebate next April.
As this is your first job I understand that tax may have come as a bit of a shock. However, if you don't want to pay taxes, move to a country where there is no welfare state, free healthcare or education, corrupt police, undemocratic politics, corrupt military.....I could go on. We pay taxes to have a decent country. In fact, if you were a student, taxes will have heavily subsidised your degree.

callalilies Wed 10-Jun-09 09:11:18

What's the fact that it's your first job got to do with it? You're not exempt from tax just because it's your first job.

(And you said on your other thread that you've had 4 jobs anyway.)

Seems to me that it's not paying tax that's the problem, it's your layabout boyfriend that's the problem. He's the one that's unacceptable, not the taxman for taking some of your earnings to pay for essential public services.

Stigaloid Wed 10-Jun-09 10:10:45

Argow you pay taxes so that when you are ill you can get free medical care in a hopsital or an ambulance can help you out in an emergency. You pay taxes that subsidise your student education and you pay taxes that go towards your pension in your old age. 2 certainties in life - death and taxes. Stop getting wound up by things you can't control.

ginormoboobs Wed 10-Jun-09 10:59:26

On your other thread you say you havehad 4 jobs since you left school. How can this be your first job?
This is mumsnet. Since you are not a mother /father and are not even planning to have children , why don't you find a forum more suited to your needs.

readyfornumber2and3 Wed 10-Jun-09 11:14:30

I was thinking the same thing ginormoboobs
Not saying that she isnt welcome afterall it is a public forum, but I do find it strange that a student who isnt planning on a family would want to frequent a forum aimed at parents and parents to be hmm

I have worked full time since leaving school at 16 taking a break to have my son (2.10) and am now a sahm since being made redundant in february (am currently 28 weeks pg with twins) and because of the timing of my maternity leave I was unable to claim jobseekers allowance due to £70 worth of missing NI payments.
Yes paying taxes is annoying and its worse when you see people taking advantage but its also essential and to be honest the care that I have recieved whilst pregnant with my twins (extra scans, appointments etc) has made me thankful to the system that we have in place.
You never know what is round the corner and for all you know you may be living on benefits when you finish studying and other people may look down their noses at you wink

slug Wed 10-Jun-09 11:41:09

What the hell do you think paid for your education???? Honestly, listen to yourself. If you paid fees to go to university, it might be worth considering that this represents less than a third of the actual cost of your courses. For a better idea of the actual costs, take a look at the fees foreign students pay. Count yourself lucky to be in a society that takes care of it's weaker and more vulnerable members.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now