Talk

Advanced search

to ask for a book/info and be told in a demeaning way to go and Google it?

(8 Posts)
carocaro Tue 09-Jun-09 18:48:43

DS1 is doing 'under the sea' as a topic at school and has to find out info on Jaques Cusau (bad spelling I know but hey) so I asked on of the ladies at my library if they had any books/info and she sucked in her teeth and said

'oh no, nothing like that here, it's only a small library and he's very old in fact I think dead, you should use Google to find out what you need'

and with that she turned her back on me.

NICE.

As an aside they are all such rude old bints in there, give or take one or two, and its not a little library. And after three years they have finally removed the reading quiet section from next to childrens section, so we no longer have to deal with TUTS and HUFFS from people trying to read. WAY TO GO AT LAST you must have had so many meetings about that one!!!! I could have done it myself in my lunch hour.

Fucking library no wonder no one wants to read and they are all closing down.

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 09-Jun-09 18:51:30

Message withdrawn

Dysgu Tue 09-Jun-09 18:51:50

This is such a shame - if this is the advice in a library then no wonder people don't read or borrow books anymore.

Luckily we have some wonderful libraries and librarians here - DD1 is well-known by many of the children's librarians and tends to enter the library with a shriek "Let's go to my section."

Sorry for your experience - hope you have managed to find what you need...

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 09-Jun-09 18:54:53

Message withdrawn

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 09-Jun-09 18:55:07

When you do google, here is the spelling. Jacques-Yves Cousteau.

Our librarians are miserable bats too.

dawntigga Tue 09-Jun-09 19:25:55

Try these books - the librarians btw should have pointed you towards the computer that lets you search and order books. There is a small charge for this:

Three Adventures: Galapagos, Titicaca, the Blue Holes (The Undersea Discoveries of Jacques-Yves Cousteau)

Jacques Cousteau: The Ocean World - this one is awesome

Am a bit of a fan of old Jaques and was deeply saddened at his passing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques-Yves_Cousteau

dxx

carocaro Tue 09-Jun-09 20:07:41

thanks all, will look at the link. I think I may to a letter, it's supposed to be fun after all!

NetworkNanniesSurrey Tue 09-Jun-09 20:16:20

I got dirty look in my local library when i signed up and was asked to pick the design of card i wanted. They were all of trees and i laughed and mentioned the irony of the beauty of the trees captured by a place that is full of dead ones.

Some people have no sense of humour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now