Talk

Advanced search

to chuck all the Johnson & Johnson baby skincare I was given when DS was born in the bin?

(46 Posts)
spicemonster Tue 09-Jun-09 17:01:57

He has really sensitive skin and I have never used it. I wouldn't use it even if he didn't - baby lotion brings me out in a rash and I wouldn't use anything on him that I couldn't tolerate. I don't feel I can give it away as it's a bit like 'this isn't good enough for my PFB but I'm sure it's fine for yours'. Isn't it? But I feel bad about throwing away a load of unopened containers.

If anyone wants it and can come and collect, do let me know

slushy06 Tue 09-Jun-09 17:05:21

I got bought loads on ds and like your ds he had sensitive skin I sold it as some people love it and got some money to buy the expensive sensitive ones my ds uses.

Comewhinewithme Tue 09-Jun-09 17:07:09

You could offer it on freecycle .

SammyK Tue 09-Jun-09 17:12:13

I couldn't use anything except oilatum on DS so I used some of it myself (the purple bedtime bubble bath) and gave some away.

I think binning it is a bit wasteful, would rather give it to someone. Some dcs can handle anything on their skin, others can't. How about donating it to a women's refuge, asking your HV to pass it on to somone, or putting it on freecycle?

susiey Tue 09-Jun-09 17:19:40

I'd give it to one of your friends or take it back and exchange it for something else
I wouldn't be offended if I were you friend

lynniep Tue 09-Jun-09 17:20:51

I agree - freecycle - plus I cant imagine anyone will feel offended (ie friends etc) if you offer it to them explaining about DS's skin. I'd take it gladly!

crosseyedandpainless Tue 09-Jun-09 17:36:33

The Royal College of Midwives now recommend that babies have nothing on their skin except warm water and maybe some natural oil for at least the first 6 weeks. I think Johnson and Johnson products are terrible - very highly perfumed and unsuitable for small babies.

I wouldn't personally want to give it to anyone having a baby. I'd use the wash to clean clothes with and the lotion for cleaning my shoes.

nickytwotimes Tue 09-Jun-09 17:41:21

I used the stuff ds got on myself.
It was lovely.
Ds has good skin but still used nothing on him until he was 2 yrs.

spicemonster Tue 09-Jun-09 17:43:03

That's sort of how I feel crosseyedandpainless

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Tue 09-Jun-09 17:43:43

I find it awfull that we got all this stuff from the midwife (and bounty) suggesting that the midwife had approved most of the stuff in it, including all the J&J stuff.

pointydog Tue 09-Jun-09 17:45:13

Try giving it away. Lots of people like Johnsons, nothing to do with 'not good enough for me'

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Tue 09-Jun-09 17:45:38

What skincare you use, if anything, should be the least of your worries if DS was born in the bin!

mychildrenarebarmy Tue 09-Jun-09 17:48:25

I agree with the freecycle suggestion.

BradfordMum Tue 09-Jun-09 17:50:29

Local toddler group?

FruitynNutty Tue 09-Jun-09 17:50:46

I threw all mine out blush I couldn't believe the amount of J&J stuff I was given shock Can't stand the fake baby smell - babies smell naturally delicious.

Olifin Tue 09-Jun-09 18:02:35

Freecycle- it'll get snapped up, I should think.

spicemonster Tue 09-Jun-09 18:06:11

TubofLard

My friend's brother was born in a bucket!

spicemonster Tue 09-Jun-09 18:13:44

And I will try freecycle thanks all. Will report back wink

likessleep Tue 09-Jun-09 19:00:02

we had same dilemma last week - ds has eczema, now until control, just, but no way am i risking it.
dh is using it now grin

likessleep Tue 09-Jun-09 19:00:24

until under

Gorionine Tue 09-Jun-09 19:02:32

If they are really old I would get rid of them but otherwise I would give them either to freecycle or maybe to a local charity for young mothers?

bellygot2go Tue 09-Jun-09 19:11:48

i shouldnt worry. a friend of mine gave me half used tesco baby lotion and powder. cant say i was thrilled but used it on myself and 3yo anyway.

bellygot2go Tue 09-Jun-09 19:12:54

btw. what have you got and where is collection from! lol

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Tue 09-Jun-09 19:17:18

All my babes were born in the tub, of course. grin

LadyAga Tue 09-Jun-09 20:34:26

Not at all, I had some given to me and I politely returned it to sender.

I think it smells nice but it's so full of rubbish; I wouldn't use on my own skin let alone a baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now