Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that male PE teacher should have let my DD be excused from PE for this?

(32 Posts)
pollypentapeptide Tue 09-Jun-09 16:47:31

Feel so sorry for her today, she is 13 and has what we think is cystitus (still waiting for test results to see if possible urine infection)

We kept her off yesterday as waiting for GP appoinment plus she is having to run to the loo every 30 mins - 60 mins

But in herself she doesn't feel too bad so we looked at her timetable for today and she woked out that every lesson was near a loo and all teachers were female so she felt comfortable explaining that she may need to nip out mid lesson.

But she had PE this morning out in the playing fields (a very long way away from any loos) so we wrote her a note to her (female) PE teacher asking if she could be excluded.

Turns up today, male teacher is standing in and refuses to excuse her as he doesn't think it is a 'good enough' excuse so she was forced to do PE in quite a lot of pain (she was too embarrassed to ask him to go sad)

I am bloody cross actually angry

MichKit Tue 09-Jun-09 16:48:58

No YANBU... cystitis is horrible and the teacher really should have been more understanding. YOur poor DD :-(

pollypentapeptide Tue 09-Jun-09 16:50:01

We wrote a note and left our telephone number incase of any queries, he could of at least called us first!!!!

fucksticks Tue 09-Jun-09 16:50:38

I'd be fuming! angry
I'd speak to the head teacher and let him/her know that you are not happy and that in future if your DD is borderline well enough to go to school then she will definitely not be attending if your written requests to sit out of PE are dismissed.

jeminthecity Tue 09-Jun-09 16:51:44

I'd complain, really. It's not on, what a nob, your poor DD, cystitis is horrible

jeminthecity Tue 09-Jun-09 16:52:11

fucksticks put it better though...!

pollypentapeptide Tue 09-Jun-09 16:52:34

Could I also tell her that fucksticks said so! grin

Morloth Tue 09-Jun-09 16:52:36

Oh poor baby, cystitis is no fun at all.

I do think you need to say something to whoever the contact is at the school - maybe they could just have a word with him about stuff like this?

MatNanPlus Tue 09-Jun-09 16:53:50

Complain to the head.

TsarChasm Tue 09-Jun-09 16:54:12

Yanbu.

I would be seriously annoyed that having written a note the PE teacher has over-ridden your wishes wrt dd's health.

Do teachers have the authority to do that since you sent her in with a note? I would be up at the school asking that question in this situation.

Your poor ddsad. Having suffered badly (although not at such a young age) with cystitis many times, I know only too well how utterly awful it can make you feel. I do hope she feels much better soon.

MachuPicchu Tue 09-Jun-09 16:56:57

Oh the poor thing - cystitis is miserable. And I could imagine the PE teacher justifiying himself by saying 'well she obviously wasn't that bad because she didn't have to go to the loo the whole lesson' - never mind the fact that she must have been in pain. Definitely complain.

2shoes Tue 09-Jun-09 17:01:42

I would be so angry he would have to emigrate

pollypentapeptide Tue 09-Jun-09 17:06:07

Trying to compose a letter to the PE teacher along the lines of 'how would you like it if you felt as if you were peeing out neat bleach every half an hour........'

pollypentapeptide Tue 09-Jun-09 17:08:32

Hmmmm, also wondering if a description of a 'burning fanjo' would be too baffling (unless his wife is a mumsnetter) grin

NormaSknockers Tue 09-Jun-09 17:09:45

YANBU angry

I'd be fuming too, poor DD Definately complain to the head!

littleducks Tue 09-Jun-09 17:14:28

well im a bolshy madam but i wouldnt have written a note 'asking' but would have written a note informing teacher that she wouldnt be taking part and let dd know that i would back her in insiting teacher phoned me

saintmaybe Tue 09-Jun-09 17:38:01

You need to rest with cystitis and go to the loo as soon as you need to, or you risk kidney infections.
Your poor dd.

HerBeatitudeLittleBella Tue 09-Jun-09 17:40:55

Well waht a strange teacher.

Is it normal for teachers to override parents on health issues?

<worried>

BennyAndJoon Tue 09-Jun-09 17:49:36

Poor DD sad

The school really should respect your wishes and your assessment of her ability to participate.

Unless he is medically qualified, what grounds does he think he has for over-ruling you?

YANBU

Do complain to the school. Write a letter to the head

FabulousBakerGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 17:53:10

This is unacceptable.

My DD was excused PE yesterday - I didn't ask for this - as she had fallen down the stairs and hurt her neck. Partly I was worried that DD would be disappointed to miss out but she seemed happy enough doing some writing and I was pleased the teachers used their common sense (for once.)

pointydog Tue 09-Jun-09 18:01:18

did the PE teacher see the note? If so, I don't know what he was playing at.

AT dd1's school, she needs to carry a signed note with her to every class if there is a reason she cannot take part.

pinkstarfish Tue 09-Jun-09 18:04:38

YANBU, what a pig angry I really feel for your DD sad I hope she's ok. I would also complain to the head, surely the parents wishes in a letter should stand higher than what the teachers think? If not, it bloody should! No one knows a child better than his/her mother wink

blinder Tue 09-Jun-09 18:24:07

absolutely unacceptable. complain about it and insist on knowing what steps are being taken against the teacher.

it was not his place to over-ride your decision about what your daughter was fit to do. he has failed in his responsibility to your child and yourself. I would be fuming.

FabulousBakerGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 18:24:10

But that isn't how some teachers feel.

CurryMaid Tue 09-Jun-09 18:26:56

This brings back memories of when my Mum wrote a letter excusing me from PE in the middle of winter when I'd had a cold and was suffering very badly from asthma.

The teacher read the note out loud in front of the class then went on to say how pathetic I was considering how many top-level athletes compete despite their asthma.

I was about 15 at the time and it was the very first time I'd ever not done PE but I really was extremely unwell and only there because my GCSEs were imminent sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now