Talk

Advanced search

to be pissed off with school?

(11 Posts)
geekgirl Tue 09-Jun-09 16:12:27

Feeling rather irritated with them today on two counts angry.
Ds (5) had a very nasty case of shingles last week and has just returned to school. His back looks really bad - an area on his back the size of my hand is raw and crusty (sorry, tmi) and the GP said it was important that he didn't do any PE for at least a week to protect the wound, and to not cover it other than with a clean cotton t-shirt so it can heal better.
I told the school secretary this yesterday when I took him in after going to the doctor's and ds hasn't got his PE kit at school yet because it isn't needed as a result.
Well, today they had PE and ds's teacher made him do it, giving him the spare kit (feel like going spare about this alone - he has what's basically an open wound on his back, and they give him a manky spare t-shirt from the cupboard angryangry). Ds said he wasn't supposed to but his teacher said he was lying hmm. Now WTF didn't they just ring me and check with me if there was any doubt??? It's a tiny rural school, I'm at home, everyone knows me, it's not hard to just ask.

The second issue is about dd1 (9) who managed to injure her hand at the weekend, resulting in a condition called 'trigger finger tendonitis'. She too went to the GP on Monday morning, and was told that she must rest the affected finger (right index) completely for at least two weeks, the finger has been buddy-taped to the adjoining one and splinted. It doesn't look like an impressive bandage but the GP said to basically treat it as though it was broken. He said absolutely no writing (she's right-handed) which is obviously a huge PITA at school.
I explained all this to the secretary.
Now today apparently school have decided to be really awkward about and are asking for a doctor's note as it's just sooo difficult etc., etc.. Are they thinking I made it up?!hmm I am sure our GP will be thrilled at the prospect of having to write a note for school.angry

Sassyfrassy Tue 09-Jun-09 16:17:36

yanbu, as a teacher I always give a pupil the benefit of a doubt and would let him off PE but then check witht he office or you later for the future. As for your daughter, yes it's a pita but they need to allocate someone to her, that can write to her dictation. Might be that they need a doctor's note to secure some extra funding I suppose.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Tue 09-Jun-09 16:21:44

YANBU. THe school is, however, imo.

Have you also told your DCs teachers directly about their respective conditions? IME, school secretaries can be a law unto themselves in terms of passing on information.....<<Mrs JS sits back and awaits flaming from MNers who are also school secretaries... >>

steviesgirl Tue 09-Jun-09 16:22:46

God, you've got every right to be pissed off. I'd be livid. As for calling your son a liar! Some teachers are such bastards! I remember them when I was at school like it.

I'd complain to the Head if I were you. At the end of the day, if something happened to one of your kids because they went against your advice and wishes, they'd be liable. So it's in their interest to do as asked.

geekgirl Tue 09-Jun-09 16:24:45

No I haven't and I guess that was a bit of a mistake on my part. Because I had to take them both to the GP's yesterday morning we didn't get to school until 9:45 when everyone including the head was teaching, and this morning we were a couple of minutes late because Ocado came too early so I didn't get to talk to anyone then either...

jeminthecity Tue 09-Jun-09 16:24:45

I would speak to the teachers directly to avoid any communication probs, especially at your sons age,(checks age of OP son) he's just little! I would definately speak to the teachers.

geekgirl Tue 09-Jun-09 16:25:42

I should have written a note, shouldn't I? It's just with it being a small and intimate school, I never really think to do such things.

geekgirl Tue 09-Jun-09 16:45:37

argh just spoke to dh and he's sooo angry with the school. Wants me to go in tomorrow and do some kind of manly dressing-down hmm.
Am not good w. conflict.<quakes>

littleducks Tue 09-Jun-09 16:50:31

if the school wants not quote the price your gp charges (£15 ish around here) they normally dont want one if you expect them to pay for it!

Bathsheba Tue 09-Jun-09 16:51:06

I know its a tiny school but I'd definately go for writing notes for the teacher rather than going through the secretary...

ESP for something that "they will all try" like "I can't do PE" - I suspect that for a world weary teacher that they have heard 1000 times "I can't do PE" and without a note from home to back it up, their default assumption (rightly or wrongly) is that they can do PE and are just trying to skive it.

piscesmoon Tue 09-Jun-09 16:56:28

Unless people are really efficient, messages never get passed on-they are busy and it goes out of their mind. I would always make a point of speaking to the teacher or, if it isn't possible, write a note to the teacher-other communications will break down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now