Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To stick a notice on my front door saying...

(17 Posts)
terramum Tue 09-Jun-09 13:58:48

"We rent this house and therefore cannot change/fix/update the windows, doors, fascias, roof etc so don't bother knocking"

I am soooo bloody fed up of being bothered umpteen times a day by salespeople.

VinegarTits Tue 09-Jun-09 14:00:39

i would just put 'fuckoff sales people'

less complicated than your note grin

Chulita Tue 09-Jun-09 14:02:37

YANBU - I ignored one the other day only to have him peer through the window at me and DD having lunch and tap on the glass. He gave a cheery wave and I got up to tell him to bog off...I'm too polite though, I was swearing at him in my head but I was all nice to his face - argh!! I wish I was the type to rip limbs from bodies...

MsSpentYoof Tue 09-Jun-09 14:08:45

How rude Chulita!

I am quite hmm about that too, why would a sales man think it was ok to peer through your window?

There are many theives pose as people like that so they can get close enough to your property witout looking suss.

MatNanPlus Tue 09-Jun-09 14:11:27

You can get a notice that says no 'Cold Calling' to deter these type of people, agree it is a ruse used to decide if the property is 'hot' by theives.

Try to limit their view into the house.

You could open a window and say no thanks

Chulita Tue 09-Jun-09 15:25:44

He was from EON power whatever, we have 2 pavements on this side of the road, one runs perilously close to the window so my neighbours always have a good look when they walk past but you do have to stand in the flowerbed to actually tap on the window. He even said I was stupid to stick with British Gas...obviously he wasn't listening on the "how to convince people to switch to us" seminar!
I'm way too naive - I always forget about thieves posing as salesmen...thanks for the reminder!!

PurpleCrazyHorse Tue 09-Jun-09 22:00:44

I think we had a burglar posing as a window cleaner once, he never came back when I suggested any day for window cleaning as my DH works from home hmm. Be really careful what info you give out to random people knocking at the door!

We've bought our house now but still use the renting line for doorstep or phone callers. Listed building is also good for double glazing and satellite TV too!

Trikken Tue 09-Jun-09 22:12:23

YANBU at all. I had that problem all the time when we were renting, it is very annoying.

littleducks Tue 09-Jun-09 22:19:37

i had very keen npower reps yesterday

you have to answer the door as they just keep going otherwise

they wanted to know if i had a electric meter or paid paper bills, would it have been really evil to have whispered something like "dont tell the neighbours, but we dont pay anything, we have our electrics rigged up to the empty house next door"

instead im stuck smiling and politely saying im not interested repeatedly

snigger Tue 09-Jun-09 22:22:02

I find my tolerance expands on the grounds that the longer I have to listen without them taking my comments seriously, the greater their disappointment when they finally suss I'm a tenant.

Chuffinnora Tue 09-Jun-09 22:28:13

I have found just saying I haven't got any money and I can't afford a conservatory/porch/new door is effective.
The salesman always looks a bit shocked so maybe its not popular.

VeeBee3 Tue 09-Jun-09 22:43:21

They always seem to come when i have put DS's down for a nap. Although i'm calling them lots of names in my head i smile politely whilst they finish their spiel before i say no thank you. DH is great at it. He simply opens the door smiles and says "not interested thanks" before they even open their mouths! Only once he was so quick they ended up putting a card through the door saying they only wanted to read the meter smile

hoping4thebest Tue 09-Jun-09 22:45:44

lie.
my dad services the boiler, is an electrician, works for the companies we are with and gets us good deals, is going to do our windows when he gets time between jobs, is a missionary in africa, a landscape gardener, builder etc. he is pretty much whatever i need him to be if i am silly enough to open the door.
this also goes with phone calls.

cheesesarnie Tue 09-Jun-09 22:49:47

pretend you dont speak the language.'pourquoi?'

cheesesarnie Tue 09-Jun-09 22:50:29

oooh and ive done the innocent face and said 'im just babysitting'

GrimmaTheNome Tue 09-Jun-09 23:02:32

Perfect - now we can all just say, oh, my pal Hoping4's dad is going to fix my windows when he's back on furlough grin

hoping4thebest Tue 09-Jun-09 23:18:34

have just had to look up furlough. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now