Talk

Advanced search

to not expect to pay

(11 Posts)
NoseyHelen Mon 08-Jun-09 23:34:38

10 days ago I had a filling re-filled. It hadn't been giving me any problems previously but dentist reckoned the x-ray showed potential for trouble going forward. Since it was refille, at a cost of £145, it has been painful when I eat on that side so I've booked in for this Friday to have it looked at again.

Should I expect to pay for him to correct his own mistake. DH says when I walk in I should tell dentist that I don't expect to pay but I'm too much of a coward to say that to a man holding a syringe and drill. I just want to sneak out without paying. However, this will take his time which he could say he should be paid for.

So, do you think I should pay. If not, how and when should I articulate that decision?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 08-Jun-09 23:36:32

£145 for a filling to be refilled!! shock

Find a new dentist. Yours is ripping you off! Mine charges £48 for a filling, £145 is taking the piss!!

MatNanPlus Mon 08-Jun-09 23:39:45

shock How much, i had a filling drilled out and refilled for £65 in Oct.

NoseyHelen Mon 08-Jun-09 23:40:50

Well I was shocked at the price. He has always been pricey bit having had some awful and unethical dentists in the past I've stuck with this expensive dentist. However, I'm not happy to pay over the odds for shoddy workmanship!

NoseyHelen Mon 08-Jun-09 23:41:26

Sorry for my typos...

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Mon 08-Jun-09 23:41:46

I'd call and find out what to expect charge -wise before the appt. My son recently had a procedure re-done and there was no charge as they could hardly charge our insurance company twice.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 08-Jun-09 23:42:47

Just call them tomorrow before you go and ask them if they charge to rectify mistakes like this. If they do, call up a few friends and get some recommendations to some other dentists. It's really unfair that yours is charging this to be honest! It's way too much.

smallchange Mon 08-Jun-09 23:43:16

Not sure it's necessarily the dentist making a mistake tbh. Deep fillings can niggle. I had one that had to be removed, a temporary dressing put on to calm the nerve and then refilled with no further trouble. My dentist is excellent (and NHS so not so pricy - I know I'm lucky).

Can't remember whether I had to pay more or not. I don't think so actually.

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Mon 08-Jun-09 23:50:05

Could be it's too high and just needs to be filed down a bit-which isn't really a mistake-just a discomfort!

thumbwitch Mon 08-Jun-09 23:54:49

Jeez that's a hell of a price!
If he is correcting the situation, however it needs to be corrected, you should not have to pay for it again. But it isn't necessarily due to shoddy workmanship, it could be all sorts of things.

I had a broken tooth temporarily filled and then removed on the NHS - I only had to pay for the filling BUT if I had waited more than 2 months to go back for the removal I would have had to pay for the extraction as well.

So you going back within 2 weeks could reasonably be expected to be considered as "under guarantee", iyswim.

TakeLovingChances Mon 08-Jun-09 23:57:51

I wonder if we have the same dentist hmm Mine seems to pick a number out of thin air when he's charging for treatments of any sort.

I wrote about shoddy dental treatment on another thread today...

Mine did a normal filling, which left me in a lot of pain. When I went back he said he was going to re-fill it, turns out he did a root canal filling without telling me what was happening (thus without my informed consent!), then when it was over the receptionist looked like she was going to charge me for it!

I refused to pay, said that it was his prob for not doing it right in the first place, and walked out.

Root canal was the most sore thing I've ever had done in dentists, and I still flinch when thinking about it now shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now