Talk

Advanced search

To not be able to see the logic in putting changing facilities in disabled loos ...

(20 Posts)
igivein Mon 08-Jun-09 12:43:26

that have (expletive deleted) RADAR locks on them so you can't get in!

MamaG Mon 08-Jun-09 12:45:24

I would imagine its so disabled parents can change their babies

CurryMaid Mon 08-Jun-09 12:47:29

Also so maybe you can go to the toilet with the baby in the cubicle as well.

Also more space.

Tons of reasons.

Maveta Mon 08-Jun-09 12:47:42

well presumably in this situation there is no change facility in the other toilets?

Yes it would be very frustrating and annoying.

MadreInglese Mon 08-Jun-09 12:47:44

Maybe for ease of access and space for buggy...?

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 12:48:04

Rarely I suspect mamaG - they put the changing facility in the disabled loo cos they think its a suitable space

Despite the fact that it annoys disabled people
And nondisabled people dont have radar keys probably doesnt occur to whoever put it there

MamaG Mon 08-Jun-09 12:49:08

oh you mean JUST in disabled loo, rather than as well as

I misunderstood

SoupDragon Mon 08-Jun-09 12:50:09

It's stupid to put them in RADAR locked cubicles if there are no other changing facilities available.

The reason for putting them in there is one of space and access though.

ReallyReally Mon 08-Jun-09 12:50:33

because it's a good use of space which is often underused

my dd is disabled; I don't mind waiting to use the loo. We don't need priority queueing, just the grabrails

SomeGuy Mon 08-Jun-09 12:51:21

Radar keys: shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=radar+key&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Pingpong Mon 08-Jun-09 12:52:14

igivein I think some people have missed the RADAR lock bit in your OP.
Yes so disabled people can change their babies but what about the rest of us? Do we have to kneel down on a pissy wet public toilet floor just because we can ?
YANBU

OrmIrian Mon 08-Jun-09 12:53:24

Agree. Seems a bit short-sighted.

psychomum5 Mon 08-Jun-09 12:53:28

yes, I found this when I still had teenies is nappies.

there were no other change facilities anywhere, and of course without the key, you just can't get it to use said facility.

hmm

ReallyReally Mon 08-Jun-09 12:54:18

a lot of places with a RADAR key have an attendant nearby who will open them

useful if you have forgotten your key, for example left it in the cutlery draw(whistles innocently)

ReallyReally Mon 08-Jun-09 12:54:29

drawer

oh dear

psychomum5 Mon 08-Jun-09 12:57:52

not in my town...........or at least, they are there, but as I am not wheelchair bound I was not allowed in to use said facility.

they would not get it that some people don;t have to be in a wheelchair to qualify as disabled eitherhmm.

and then, if I changed one of mine outside the loos, I got told off then too.

<<arseholes some people>>

igivein Mon 08-Jun-09 13:22:39

I'm just ranting because I encountered this in a shop at the weekend, I asked an assistant for a key, and she said only the cleaner had one and she wasn't there.
I resisted the urge to put the changing mat on the shop counter and slunk off to the ladies and got on everyone's tits trying to change ds in a v. restricted space full of ladies waiting for the loo.

pinkmagic1 Mon 08-Jun-09 13:29:22

I have had the situation when out and have been caught short, having to leave DD outside a toilet cubicle in her pushchair while I used the loo, as the only one you can actually get a pram in is the disabled one and 9 times out of 10 it is locked.

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 13:33:00

igivein - In that situation I wonder what the shop imagines a disabled person would do if they needed the loo?

ReallyReally Mon 08-Jun-09 13:50:07

hopefully they wouldn't have left their own key in the cutlery drawer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now