Talk

Advanced search

To not want to relocate out of the city before expecting 2nd child?

(7 Posts)
naptime Sun 07-Jun-09 19:19:34

I feel as though I am in a dilemma. My DH really wants to relocate out of the city where we can afford a bigger place. I am expecting my 2nd baby (DS is 21months). I have lived in this area for 10 years and close to my mum, and she is a good help with her grandson. At present we live in a small 2 bed flat so I don't think we can stay here easily. I would rather rent something a bit bigger and stay in this area. DH says if we do that the market will probably go up and we won't be able to afford anything to buy in the future out of the city. We don't seem to be able to agree! Am IBU to want to stay near my mum, friends, support network etc?

KathyBrown Sun 07-Jun-09 19:21:55

No you're not the support is priceless, if i could go back in time I would do what you want to do.

mum23monkeys Sun 07-Jun-09 19:43:11

stay. From bitter personal experience, the support and company far outweighs a bigger garden.

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Sun 07-Jun-09 20:02:25

I agree. We live miles away from both sets of grandparents and it is hard. We do have a nice garden and nice view but we've not got a massive house.

Its a long way to the supermarket and other amenities too.

Remember you may want a spare double bedroom for people to visit if you live a long way away and that add to the cost of the house.

I miss my family who live a long way away and wish I could see them more.

naptime Sun 07-Jun-09 20:38:31

Thanks for your comments...It is hard because my DH says he really does not want to stay in the city, and bring up our children here. He says he wants the life style etc. We would probably try and move somewhere where we have friends already, and it would be just outside the city so not miles away from my family, but certainly further than we are now. aghhhh I hate these decisions!

missismac Sun 07-Jun-09 20:59:32

Stay, stay, stay.

Actually I've found the city a brilliant place to raise kids, and that's without family support. I couldn't think of anywhere better if I had a Mum nearby.

naptime Mon 08-Jun-09 08:19:54

Well that is alot of encouragement to stay here. I suppose the other dilemma is schools.. Very hard to get into good local schools unless you live on their doorsteps, in v expensive house! Anyway, DH is now being very sweet and saying we can stay if I want...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now