Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at horserider?

(123 Posts)
MsSpentYoof Sun 07-Jun-09 19:15:24

I was on my way home and in the distance I could see three figures, it looked like two ladies and a man, but as I got closer it was actually a horse with a young girl on it (def not over 8/9)

I always slow down when it is people but when it is a horse I usually slow down to about 5mph because I know they scare easily, but as it didn't look like a horse I didn't slow down until quite close, when I had to break pretty quick.

It was a dark horse and just looked like a taller guy with dark clothes on.

It really shook me up, and what made it worse is one of the woman who was there was mouthing obsenitites at me.

I ALWAYS slow right down for horses, ESPECIALLY if there is a child on the back.

AIBU to think that if they are going to take a child out for a horse ride they should EITHER put a reflective jacket on the horse OR go off road so it isn't near cars (especially as it is a long straight road that goes down a hill, so it is easy to gain speed without realising it)

I still feel shakey at the thought of what might have happened if it hadn't noticed then.

MsSpentYoof Sun 07-Jun-09 19:16:55

And it's not that my eyesight is bad, it is great when I have my contact lenses in (which I did) or that I wasn't paying attention, I am still a fairly new driver so always keep my eyes strictly on the road

CurryMaid Sun 07-Jun-09 19:18:45

What time of night was it and how dark was it?

KingRolo Sun 07-Jun-09 19:19:14

They should have made sure the horse was visible, a reflective jacket would certainly be a good idea.

hercules1 Sun 07-Jun-09 19:19:20

I would have assumed the child should have had a reflective jacket on.

foxinsocks Sun 07-Jun-09 19:19:47

lol at mistaking a horse for a man with dark clothes on

but seriously, yes, they should have had a reflective shirt on definitely (the riders normally do around here). It's very poor that none of them did, especially with this weather when the sky is very dark already. If you knew where they came from, I would have suggested you said something.

Rindercella Sun 07-Jun-09 19:22:06

YANBU, but it was probably their initial reaction of shock too. In the past when I have been out riding, I have had drivers who really couldn't give a damn, fly past me, too close to me, etc. and it can be very scary - especially if the horse I was on was a bit of a nutter green.

Perhaps though you want to have a rethink of how you drive along country lanes? I am really not trying to be funny here, but there are so many potential hazards it's an idea just to back off a little when you see something up ahead.

MsSpentYoof Sun 07-Jun-09 19:22:16

It was about 30 mins ago or there abouts, so it wasn't really dark, one of the walkers was stood half in front of horse.

I felt bloody awful about it but at the same time annoyed for the woman being so nasty.

NetworkNanniesSurrey Sun 07-Jun-09 19:23:04

I thought that horse riders had to have some sort of reflective clothing on. You would think it common sense on a road anyway, regardless of the law.

That said, i regularly see cyclists without high vis or lights.

MsSpentYoof Sun 07-Jun-09 19:23:27

Rinderella, if you read the op, I do ALWAYS slow down (in my short time driving) but if I go past a horse I slow down much more.

CurryMaid Sun 07-Jun-09 19:24:42

It's hard to tell really - what was the speed limit when you were approaching the horse?

If you were only doing 30 and it wasn't dark and you really couldn't recognise a horse until you were right next to it then I would think that was a bit hmm

But if you were on a country lane or something and going pretty quickly then I can see it would have been easier to make a mistake.

Even so, horses are pretty big, so as rindercella says you maybe need to brush up on your hazard perception.

MsSpentYoof Sun 07-Jun-09 19:25:59

I did think about going back to suggest that she make them more visiable, but it was a few miles down the road before I calmed down enough to think that.

It's not even road thats that quiet, it is often used as a shortcut for people trying the beat the traffic.

CurryMaid Sun 07-Jun-09 19:27:37

Presumably if you saw a man walking on the road which is what you thought you saw, you'd slow down anyway?

Rindercella Sun 07-Jun-09 19:27:38

I did read the op MsSpent, which is why I said that I really did not want you to take what I was going to say in the wrong way. BUT...if you had to break pretty quickly - so much so that it scared you, then I suggest that you were driving too fast for the situation.

On reflection, I do not think any of you were actually in the right. They shoul've had appropriate cloting on the rider/horse and you should have been driving at a speed appropriate to the road conditions.

MsSpentYoof Sun 07-Jun-09 19:27:44

It was a 60 limit, on a long straight road that goes down a long hill, loads of people bomb down there.

Rindercella Sun 07-Jun-09 19:28:48

Doesn't mean it's right to do so though does it?

MsSpentYoof Sun 07-Jun-09 19:29:23

OK, like i said in the OP, if it is a bunch of people I slow down, but if it is a horse I usually slow down to a walking pace so as not to scare the horse, I am not going to slow down to a walking pace to pace every set of walkers I meet.

You lot are clearly bonkers if you do that.

Saltire Sun 07-Jun-09 19:29:50

I think horses should have bells round their necks so that if you are walking in a field alongside a very busy road which causes a lot of noise you don't get scared half to death by an enormous horse creeping up behind you

Rindercella Sun 07-Jun-09 19:31:34

You say you passed your test just recently MsSpent...?? Perhaps that might tell you something. smile

MsSpentYoof Sun 07-Jun-09 19:32:39

Rinders, I didn't say I was bombing down there, at the end of this hill there is a curve and the amount of times people come bombing down and go around it in the middle of the road and nearly hit me is unreal.

I don't speed, I have once sped and when I realised it scared me, I was on a duel carriage way and had got carried away with the traffic, I don't go around speeding.

I don't appreciate being made out to be a crazy driver.

foxinsocks Sun 07-Jun-09 19:33:44

think leading a dark horse with a child on it on a dark day on a 60mph road with no high vis/reflective jackets on is total madness tbh

were they actually on the road?

you may also find, as you are a new driver, that your hazard perception gets better the more you drive tbh

themoon Sun 07-Jun-09 19:34:35

They should have been wearing reflective bibs. All the horse riders round here do.

Sometimes it IS hard to make out shapes in the distance and your mind can play tricks. Obviously you cannot crawl everywhere at 5 mph in anticipation of this.

You hit the brake as soon as your realised.. I don't see what else you could have done. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

MsSpentYoof Sun 07-Jun-09 19:34:44

I passed my test nearly two years ago but only, two months ago got a car after 6 months without one. So I still feel like a new driver.

MsSpentYoof Sun 07-Jun-09 19:36:56

Yeah, they were actually on the road, and although the road is wide enough to fit two cars passing, there isn't much 'spare' room.

Also, the grass either side is overgrown so they had to stay on the road as I passed.

herbietea Sun 07-Jun-09 19:45:49

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now