Talk

Advanced search

To leave my £80 of shopping for the checkout assistant to put away

(454 Posts)
mummytopebs Sun 07-Jun-09 18:51:07

Was in supermarket doing my shopping got to the till, had £80 worth of shopping in this was 4 cans of john smiths for dh. The drink was at the end of the shopping so everything had gone through, the checkout lady asked for id (I am 29 but do look young but not that young and god its 4 cans of beer with a full shop not some chavvy drink) I said i did not have any on me but i used to work in the said supermarket so said can you call my old manager who will verify my age. She tutted at me and called the line manager who i used to work for, she said yes she is definitly over age it was 6 years when i worked there and i was definitly over 18 then. The jobsworth sorry checkout lady still looked at me distastefully and the manager said it is up to the checkout lady though cos she originally akked for the id. I said can i have it then and she looked at me and went nah !!!!!!!! I said are you joking and hse said no i dont think you are over age!!!!!! So i said well i'll leave it then and she said ok and put the beer down and said thats £80.71p and i said no i will leave the lot - grabbed my dd and flounced out of the shop with an air of triumph.

I dont care if i had been shopping for an hour, i used to work in that supermarket and know she will have to put it all away ha ha ha

EccentricaGallumbits Sun 07-Jun-09 18:52:27

A supreme flounce.

Well done.

burningupinspeed Sun 07-Jun-09 18:52:30

YANBU, how spiteful. Don't blame you one bit.

burningupinspeed Sun 07-Jun-09 18:53:06

Mind you I am surprised at how many people don't carry ANY ID - I always have my driving license on me, and I'd guess with £80 worth of shopping you drove??

mummytopebs Sun 07-Jun-09 18:54:51

I am that old my driving licence is still paper should get it changed really x

icedcoffeecake Sun 07-Jun-09 18:55:07

fantastic grin

are you totally sure though that it will be her putting it all away, would have the same effect if she screams at the weekend student to do it!

icedcoffeecake Sun 07-Jun-09 18:55:40

would not have the same effect

LyraSilvertongue Sun 07-Jun-09 18:55:49

What a nasty cow! Well done for leaving the lot.

samsonthecat Sun 07-Jun-09 18:55:51

Welldone. YANBU. I would have done the same.

Saltire Sun 07-Jun-09 18:56:10

Well I don't have a driving licence or a passport! So I'd be well stuck.
I didn't actually realsie though that it is a legal requirment to carry both those things, and of course a utilities bill around all the time.grin

YANBU by the way, I'd have done the same

LyraSilvertongue Sun 07-Jun-09 18:57:07

You should write a letter of complaint about her to their head office. You'd probably get an apology and some vouchers.

ruddynorah Sun 07-Jun-09 18:58:23

well most shops operate 'challenge 25' so if you look under 25 and have no id to say you're over 18 they will refuse to serve you. i take id when i buy alcohol. i'm 29. i look maybe 23.

kitkatqueen Sun 07-Jun-09 18:58:32

Bloody good on ya!!!!

Meglet Sun 07-Jun-09 18:59:14

Yanbu.

What supermarket chain was it?

mummytopebs Sun 07-Jun-09 19:01:10

Asda

starshaker Sun 07-Jun-09 19:01:44

im 28 but look old lol wish somebody would id me

missismac Sun 07-Jun-09 19:02:00

Woo hoo!! brilliant & completely appropriate reaction. Well done - I hope that manager makes her put it all away.

spottydognonorks Sun 07-Jun-09 19:03:23

Very impressed grin

If the manager hadn't verified your age I would have said YABU but the manager did therefore YANBU.

mummytopebs Sun 07-Jun-09 19:05:59

Well the manager was still there when i walked out so she would obviously know that i was in the right and hopefully made her put it all away x

nickytwotimes Sun 07-Jun-09 19:07:00

mummytopebs - similar thing happened to my friend who was buying a pile of nappies, groceries and ONE CAN of ale for her Granfather. The checkout operator refused to sell it to her. Her husband and 2 kids came in to see whayt the fuss was and said "Ok, I'll buy it then" to which he was told he couldn't buy it because it was potentially for this woman with no ID. SHe also said that she would tell all the operators on duty not to serve him as it might be for his wife. hmm

They have never returned to Asda.

As you say in the op, it's not like it was 2 litres of WHite Lightning...

I have once worked in an off-license and know the importance of IDing people, but jeezo, common sense seems ot be left behind soem times.

unknownrebelbang Sun 07-Jun-09 19:07:41

I don't understand why the manager didn't override her, tbh.

cat64 Sun 07-Jun-09 19:07:50

Message withdrawn

dittany Sun 07-Jun-09 19:08:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HecatesTwopenceworth Sun 07-Jun-09 19:09:24

Did you catch a glimpse of her face when you left the lot?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now