Talk

Advanced search

to be gutted that my 'happy' corn fed chicken tasted...

(22 Posts)
JackBauer Sun 07-Jun-09 18:16:37

delicious?
I paid about 50p extra for a slightly smaller chicken than I normally get and cooked it the same way I normally do, and it was unbelievable. So tasty, and loads of meat.
So everyone who said more expensive meat tastes better and is worth paying extra for was right.

Dammitgrin

sarah293 Sun 07-Jun-09 18:18:49

Message withdrawn

SillyDaisy Sun 07-Jun-09 18:19:57

50p extra? normally costs more than that.

they are nicer though

JackBauer Sun 07-Jun-09 18:26:11

It was the next size down though, so instead of a large cheap chickne I got a medium happy one.

Dh is now asking exactly how I cooked it, desperately trying to prove that it wasn't the chicken but was my cooking skills. Not flaming likelygrin

LovelyTinOfSpam Sun 07-Jun-09 18:29:36

Those corn fed ones are super tasty, aren't they.

And meal so much more enjoyable when don't have residual guilt in your brain!

TrillianAstra Sun 07-Jun-09 18:31:26

So annoying. That's why I am always wary of getting expensive stuff when it is in the reduced section - what if I like it and can't go back to the cheapy stuff?

missingtheaction Sun 07-Jun-09 18:34:34

I am not sure that corn-fed chickens are necessarily happy - you need to check that they are happy AND cornfed, iyswim.

I sometimes buy £10 chickens from my farm shop - expensive but huge and the meat is really meaty and tasty, you get 3 meals off one and no guilt!

Bought basic chicken breasts for stir fry the other day and I could tell the difference - they were rubbery and they shrank!

LovelyTinOfSpam Sun 07-Jun-09 18:36:31

Corn-fed ones are all free range where i shop, missingtheaction, though of course you are right, one should always check.

JackBauer Sun 07-Jun-09 19:26:59

It wasn't free range but it was sainsbo's kept inside with bales and toys malarky thing. The freedom food ones. I daren't buy the free range chicken in case i cant't go back and bankrupt us all everytime I want a currygrin
Damn it was good though

poopscoop Sun 07-Jun-09 19:29:57

can't beat a free range corn fed. I rarely eat meat, but when i do it is free range. You are right, you can taste the difference.

LovelyTinOfSpam Sun 07-Jun-09 19:30:17

Loving the bales and toys malarkey grin

Freedom foods is RSPCA certified isn't it, so not half bad.

melmog Sun 07-Jun-09 19:47:08

grin spread the word! grin

JackBauer Sun 07-Jun-09 19:53:01

I am a bit hmm about the RSPCA thing actually as bettery chickens would be checked on, doesn't mean its horrible the way they are kept, just within the rules, although feel free to correct me!

I think if I don't stop picking at it there won't be any left for tea tomorrow though...

melmog Sun 07-Jun-09 20:06:55

Battery hens are kept in appalling conditions, they are the ones you see in tiny cages, but they only produce eggs.
The cheap meat chickens come from sheds that are hugely overstocked with no natural light or distractions.
The freedom food ones are still kept inside but they have a lot more room, hay bales and things to hop on to and some natural light.
If you don't get free range, freedon food is the next best thing imo.
Def tastes better the better the animal was looked after. With everything, not just chickens.
I'll shut up now! smile

LovelyTinOfSpam Sun 07-Jun-09 21:54:53

Oh hmm I wrote a big long reply ages ago and it isn't here!

I said what melmog said smile

JackBauer Sun 07-Jun-09 22:30:14

Thanks melmog (and lovelytinofspam, the -- is me BTW, spam is ick!)
I meant the chickens kept in stuffed sheds but said battery as I am tired and not paying attentiongrin What do you call them then?

What I mean is, it's horrible but within the 'legal rules', so saying it's rspca backed is a bit hmm
I ignore that and read the playing with haybales thing instead! DD's liked that anywaygrin

MadameDefarge Sun 07-Jun-09 22:35:56

when my eatery is up and running, I will feed you happy and tasty chickens prepared in a mouthwatering way, and at astounding prices, that you will swoon. ..I hope.

Good for you.

LovelyTinOfSpam Sun 07-Jun-09 22:37:17

Jack I think the point is there are different types of sheds for growing (?) the chickens in. The freedom foods ones meet higher standards than the rules reqiure ie the chickens aren't crammed in so much, don't have to struggle around up to their knees in shit and dead birds and they dim the lights at "night" and give them stuff to play with. So RSPCA freedom foods, while not ideal, miles better than how many other chickens are raised.

melmog Mon 08-Jun-09 06:51:12

Did you mean broilers, Jack? Thinks that's the word.

JackBauer Mon 08-Jun-09 07:19:03

Broilers! That's it!
LovelyTIn, thanks for the info. I don't think I am explaining myself very well, I was wanting to know why RSPCA freedom foods are better as the bumf just says 'meets RSPCA standards' which means nothing IYSWIM. But I didn't know how different the standards are, so without knowing that it is hard to say how much better the extra sticker makes the life of the chicken.
I am in total agreement that broilers live a horrible, horrible life BTW.

LovelyTinOfSpam Mon 08-Jun-09 09:52:02

Aha jack may I suggest a swift google grin

JackBauer Mon 08-Jun-09 12:25:09

I daren't, I may never eat chicken again. Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall nearly made me go veggie! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now