Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to share with me your moments of hypocrisy?

(24 Posts)
BalloonSlayer Sun 07-Jun-09 18:04:53

We had the News of the World delivered by mistake today, instead of the Sunday Times.

Had a quick delighted read, catching up on Jordan's marital problems and Kerry Katona's weight gain.

Then returned it to the shop with a contemptuous attitude.

Am I the worst hypocrite, or does anyone else have any guilty secrets?

Quattrocento Sun 07-Jun-09 18:06:23

Oh funny! I did the same last year with the Mail on Sunday.

OrmIrian Sun 07-Jun-09 18:07:24

"Stop shouting!" bellowed at my DC hmm

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 07-Jun-09 18:14:11

"DS, stop spending so much time on the computer!"

blush

losingmyrag Sun 07-Jun-09 18:16:29

oh yes stop shouting shouted! no your not having any more biscuits whillst hiding the six bourbon creams i am going to secretly dip into my tea!

MaggieBee Sun 07-Jun-09 18:16:48

Oh yes, I used to do that at work. Have a good read of the sun and then buy the times and half read it.

I also buy loads of salads and celery and red peppers to cut up and snack on. I just have toast with choc spread though...

snigger Sun 07-Jun-09 18:19:44

"Do you ever stop talking?"

- to DD, grumpily, after being interupted during a 90 minute call to my sister.

BalloonSlayer Sun 07-Jun-09 18:20:49

Oh and I tell DD she can't have pudding unless she eats vegetables, with little or no intention of eating any myself when I have my dinner.

sarah293 Sun 07-Jun-09 18:22:17

Message withdrawn

SugarBird Sun 07-Jun-09 18:30:54

'Don't fucking swear!' is one of mine too, Riven blush

Also am very hypocritical about phone use - but naturally I need to have long phone conversations, unlike my teenage dc...

And I am hypocritical about chocolate consumption and keep a stash at the back of the fridge. But I think that's probably essential to my well-being and therefore the quality of my parenting grin

francagoestohollywood Sun 07-Jun-09 18:36:27

I'm guilty of pretty much everything has been posted.
And I now feel an urge to go and check the daily mail website shock

peanutbutterkid Sun 07-Jun-09 18:37:09

Tut-tuting about friends' DD who just dropped out of Uni.
My comments to DH: "She won't get a job", "She won't have the self-discipline to complete her degree via OU", "She's closed too many doors."

And then the sudden realisation that I dropped out of Uni myself 23 years ago (blush it all worked out well for me, too')

missingtheaction Sun 07-Jun-09 18:39:21

'no you can't have anything from the sweetie tin it's just after lunch go and play' to my friend's and my dcs, while hiding sweetie tin behind my back and with mouth full of percy pigs

GetOrfMoiLand Sun 07-Jun-09 20:11:28

"No you can't have another slice of cake, you won't eat your dinner, you can just wait you won't starve" - all said whilst mnching my way through a bag or tortillas and a tub of hoummous.

"Get off that laptop and do something useful" whilst I was sat reading the Sunday Times.

These in the last couple of hours blush

BalloonSlayer Sun 07-Jun-09 21:19:01

PMSL at these. I don't feel quite so bad now.

Also PMSL at whoever got the Sunday Times this morning instead of the Screws of the World.

They'd have to go to the newsagent saying: "What's this shitty rag you've been trying to palm me off with? It's full of crap like Gordon Brown in crisis. And the impact of the recent elections on the government! Who'd be interested in that for fuck's sake? And the only tits in it are in the magazine, and artfully lit - that's an abomination!!"

Reminds me of the time, a while ago, when we used to get the Guardian once a week. One day, on Guardian day, we got the Telegraph by mistake. I thought: Gawd, the Torygraph, and made a mental note to call into the paper shop to swap it. To my amusement, the doorbell rang in less than a minute. It was the paper boy, abashed, proferring the Guardian and asking for the Telegraph back. I can only assume that the Torygraph reader had collared him and, in some outrage, had instructed him to retrieve his precious paper forthwith.

supagirl Mon 08-Jun-09 11:14:36

LOL at these!

Telling their kids that buying a comic just because it has a crappy plastic toy with it is silly then buying a magazine I don't usually just because it comes with a Cath Kidston wash bag! blush

Telling eldest child she is beautiful and doesn't need make up, but refusing to even answer the door without my "face" on blush

Only letting ds take 1 brownie to school as they are not very healthy, but now tucking into my 3rd of the morning! blush

Teaching my children it's the "taking part that counts" but spending 5 hours making an Easter bonnet because I wanted to win. blush

Teaching my children the importance of honesty, then insisting to friends that the above mentioned bonnet was something I "threw together in an hour or so" blush blush blush

(In my defence "bonnet-gate" was when I was new to parenting (many moons ago wink ) when I was less secure about my parenting skills........

Gosh I am such a MASSIVE hypocrite! shock

SG

Ninkynork Mon 08-Jun-09 11:16:08

DD: I'm just stupid.

Me: No you're not don't be so bloody stupid!

blush

Olifin Mon 08-Jun-09 11:19:46

I LOVE 'bonnet-gate'

Yes OP, I, too, am a massive hypocrite. All of the above and more.

e.g. sneering a wee bit behind my SIL's back about how PFBish her children are, how rigid she is with routine etc... and then getting all precious myself about my own DC's routine.

EyeballshasBackBoobs Mon 08-Jun-09 11:20:16

The food thing is a big one. Refusing to let dd have more than half a biscuit (she's a toddler) then putting the Night Garden on so I can go to the kitchen and dunk the rest of the packet in my tea blush

alicecrail Mon 08-Jun-09 11:25:51

Eyeballs i am thinking the same thing at the moment grin

I spend all day on the computer while DH is at work and tut at him when he's on there and doesn't spend time with his DW and DD when he gets home blush

Bad wife and mother blush

EyeballshasBackBoobs Mon 08-Jun-09 11:41:13

LOL I have a rule that if we're in the living room with dd, we not both allowed on our laptops at the same time as it's not fair on dd...this is after I've spent most of the day on my own with dd and been sitting on MN blush

alicecrail Mon 08-Jun-09 12:04:56

Thats me!

triggerhappybaby Mon 08-Jun-09 12:58:45

Blanching, fainting and grabbing door handles while DP is driving 1mph over the speed limit. Driving like Colin McRae myself.

Going ballistic at crumby and bean-splattered state of kitchen floor after I have swept and washed it. Walking my wet shoes all over wooden hallway floor after DP has swept and washed it ready for people to come and view the house.

Being holier than thou about watching minimal TV on account of it all bieng crap. Having in-depth analytical conversation about the entrants to this years BB house.

Blah blah blah having children is sooo restrictive, makes your partner change their perception of you from lover to mother and you'll never get that back yadda yadda yadda. TTC#1.

blush <hangs head in shame>

EachPeachPearMum Mon 08-Jun-09 22:04:46

Going on (and on, and on) at dd (3) about how important sleep is... yet gleefully staying up late into the night myself blush made worse by the fact I know I'll have to get up to feed ds at least twice...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now