Talk

Advanced search

to just buy Lidl cat food?

(33 Posts)
FiteFuaite Sun 07-Jun-09 15:38:56

My neighbour stopped me a couple of weeks ago and told me that as he was going away for 3 weeks soon,would my ds like to feed the cat in his absence?

Ds,of course, was delighted and neighbour said great,I will pay him a few bob and drop the cat food into you before I go. Now it seems that neighbour left for his hols yesterday as I was woken up in 6.30 am by a very mserable cat yowling outside in the garden.Neighbour hasn't given us any cat food and tbh,I can't afford to buy Caesar or Casper or whatever it is the cat normally gets. I only said yes because neighbour promised to buy the cat food before he left.

So,what to do? Will the cat eat the cheaper stuff? I suppose if he gets hungry enough he will but I hate to see him unhappy as he is a lovely cat. It doesn't help that he is an indoor cat and we can't let him indoors as hubby is allergic.

What a b*gger the neighbour is to just head off without sorting the cat out first,we are not very close at all,on our first evening in this house he threatened my hubby with an iron bar angry but we've kinda got over that now.

wotulookinat Sun 07-Jun-09 15:43:13

Maybe he just forgot?
The cat will anything if he's hungry, so don't worry about that. Just get what you can afford, and keep the receipts so your neighbour can pay you back.
Does the cat never usually go out then? That's a bit nasty of him to chuck the cat out for three weeks.

thirtysomething Sun 07-Jun-09 15:49:39

I don't get how he was howling in the garden if he's an indoor cat? Does he go out a bit?
Are you sure your neighbour hasn't left food in his house for you? (that's what I do when we go away and get a neighbour to feed the cats)
As others say he'll eat even the cheapest food when he gets hungry!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 07-Jun-09 15:59:01

seems a bit weird neighbour has gone on holiday and not left any food

do you have his key and can go in his house?

he sounds lovely - not - esp the bit with the iron bar hmm

but yes lidl cat food is fine smile

FiteFuaite Sun 07-Jun-09 16:15:17

The cat usually gets in and out an upstairs window to do his business but the neighbour has closed all the windows so I imagine the cat has been out all night and that is why he was howling. He does spend a lot of time outdoors that's how we know him but sleeps indoors.

I don't have a key for neighbour's house,we aren't very close and he said he would bring the food over,although we didn't confirm it was happening.

Anyhoo,I will get some food from Lidl for him and see how it goes.He looks like he might be choosy cat,though

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 07-Jun-09 16:33:46

beggers cant be choosers!!

PinkTulips Sun 07-Jun-09 16:35:19

get the lidl pouches or foil tubs, even picky cats eat them and they're less offensive smelling than the tins. with just one cat eating the tin will be half rotten by the time it gets to the end.

poor cat sad how horrible for him

cheesesarnie Sun 07-Jun-09 16:38:08

so the poor things locked out,no windows open and no food????how long for?lidls food should be fine!

PfftTheMagicDragon Sun 07-Jun-09 16:38:18

Don't bother with wet food! Just buy dry, it's cheaper and better for them.

yappybluedog Sun 07-Jun-09 16:49:51

if it's anything like my cat, it would rather starve than eat cheapo mush

PinkTulips Sun 07-Jun-09 17:00:18

pfft... not true actually, dry food diets often cause kidney infections and urinary problems as cats don't get enough fluid from them and most don't drink enough water... a cat should naturally gets most of it's fluid intake from its food and dry food messes with that.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 07-Jun-09 17:04:14

yappy - sure your cat would eat cheap food if REALLY hungary

i think it is dreadful that your neighbour has left and not even checked with you that its ok to have cat, and to make sure you are def going to be around for the next 3 weeks, to have enough money to feed a cat (at about a £1 a day that over £20) and not everyone has that to spare

though lidl pet food is prob less than a £1 a day

it is neglect and very selfish of him, and when he was back i would be having strong words with him!!

Lucia39 Sun 07-Jun-09 17:13:39

Felix and Whiskas isn't that expensive! However, I do think that the neighbour seems to have acted rather thoughtlessly with regard to his moggy.

If you do put down dried food make sure the cat has plenty of water available as well.

yappybluedog Sun 07-Jun-09 18:59:49

trust me, she refuses and goes on a killing spree

she gives me the look that says " another £3 wasted, you loser" hmm

choufleur Sun 07-Jun-09 19:02:49

my cats prefer aldi cat food to things like whiskers, felix etc.

feed it whatever you can get.

CurryMaid Sun 07-Jun-09 19:13:57

He's gone away for 3 weeks and left his indoor cat out in the garden?

wotulookinat Sun 07-Jun-09 19:22:45

Currymaid, I asked that, and it seems it wasn't an actual indoor cat, but a cat that went in and out.

PfftTheMagicDragon Sun 07-Jun-09 19:23:51

I didn't know that, PinkTulips.

JessJess3908 Sun 07-Jun-09 19:46:15

Of course YANBU - you're taking care of the poor thing. The cheapest dry food you can find for 3 weeks will not do him any harm - just make sure you leave him a bowl of water. IMHO it sounds like your neighbour is hoping you will adopt him...

cheesesarnie Sun 07-Jun-09 22:11:55

i didnt know that either pink tulips!mine mostly eat dry now as i thought it was better.

PurpleCrazyHorse Sun 07-Jun-09 22:19:14

Give it a try. Our cat is better with cheap dry food rather than cheap tinned - will eat supermarket own brand but not Lidl. Definitely make sure there's fresh water for it.

Obviously not if it's wet, but a side-on cardboard box would also provide some shelter too (just grab one from the supermarket and replace as necessary).

CherryChoc Sun 07-Jun-09 22:19:27

Dry food is better for their teeth and is okay if they are good at drinking water, but not many cats are as as pinktulips say they evolved in deserts and so get most of their water from food.

It's just marketing though which makes dry food out to be better - it's just bulked out with cereal rather than water, and wtf does a cat want with cereal??

Eve Sun 07-Jun-09 22:26:25

take it to the RSPCA and tell the neighbour its disappeared and you didn't notice as he didn't give you the food.

....after being threatened with an iron bar....thats what I would be tempted to before spending my money on looking after it.

Altagloria Sun 07-Jun-09 22:26:52

He's locked the cat out its house with no food, water or shelter and gone off for three weeks?! He shouldn't be allowed to own a pet.

If I were you OP I would consider taking it to a shelter to be rehomed and tell him when he comes back that you thought he had abandoned it.

catless Sun 07-Jun-09 23:43:00

Are you sure he intends to come back after 3 weeks?

I agree with Jess - sounds like you are being groomed as the new owner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now