Talk

Advanced search

to have shaken my 17 month old quite roughly!

(21 Posts)
macdoodle Sun 07-Jun-09 15:25:23

she hasnt been well last 2 nights high temperature/coughing/not sleeping
She has just had a nap for THREE and a half hours shock, I have checked her a few times, and thought I'd better get her up for lunch and if I wanted to get her to bed tonight!
So in I go and she is lying on her front, eyes wide open, and looked like her chest wasnt moving - she looked dead TBH - so I must admit I panicked shouted her name and shook her quite roughly....and of course she woke up in a panic crying - so now I feel an idiot ( especially considering I am a GP), but honestly I think my heart stopped

stillenacht Sun 07-Jun-09 15:26:27

God you have had a fright - don't beat yourself up about it - i am sure i did something similar when DS1 was little.

Calm now smile

differentID Sun 07-Jun-09 15:27:12

no- you did the first thing people get taught how to check if someone's breathing.
seriously- how are you doing now- calmed down at all?

belgo Sun 07-Jun-09 15:27:30

That's happened to me a few times. It's scarey isn't it.

Don't feel bad about it, just sit on the sofa cuddling her.

onepieceofcremeegg Sun 07-Jun-09 15:27:41

Oh you poor things macdoodle. Hope she is soon recovered. What a shock for you both.

YANBU (in the circumstances)...hope that everyone who posts reads your op as well as your thread title.

kitkat9 Sun 07-Jun-09 15:27:42

i have had that feeling of panic, it's awful

don't beat yourself up, you only had a natural reaction

hope she's better soon

SillyDaisy Sun 07-Jun-09 15:28:58

yanbu at all.

your instict took over.

glad shes ok.

macdoodle Sun 07-Jun-09 15:30:44

Gosh thank you all - was prepared to be told that I over reacted and shouldnt have shaken her
No chance for cuddles she is racing around like a loon
do feel a bit daft especially as she is DD2 and I am GP blush

TheCrackFox Sun 07-Jun-09 15:31:30

YANBU

You sound like you had a real fright.

MrsMattie Sun 07-Jun-09 15:32:20

This has happened to me a couple of times with my DS. It took me a while to work out that sometimes, just before he woke up properly, he would open his eyes and kind of lie there, totally still, staring. Very scary. Don't beat yourself up about it.

cheesesarnie Sun 07-Jun-09 15:32:29

must have been scary.i had a moment like this when ds2 went unconsious after going into shock.i completly panicked and although i knew what to do ,i just couldnt!

macdoodle Sun 07-Jun-09 15:34:09

MrsMattie yes exactly like that - which I think is why she woke up in such a fright - though TBh have never been so pleased to hear her cry !

dittany Sun 07-Jun-09 15:34:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BCNS Sun 07-Jun-09 15:38:14

YANBU

don't do the guilt trip.. I've done this before.. oh and really slapped ds1 on the back too when I thought he was choking..

little darling like to scare you.

<passes cuppa>

FabulousBakerGirl Sun 07-Jun-09 16:04:32

Now you must have KNOWN what people would think this was about. hmm

YANBU to have done what you did, YABU to post the title you did.

Thank goodness she is okay. Now you get yourself a cup of tea and some chocolate and calm down.

mumeeee Sun 07-Jun-09 16:18:52

YANBU. You did the right thing in the circumstances.

bubblagirl Sun 07-Jun-09 16:23:40

ive done this before out of panic not picked up and shook but shook laying down as ds was really cold to touch not moving etc frightened the life out of me

yanbu

burningupinspeed Sun 07-Jun-09 16:23:57

Oh you poor thing, your post made me go cold, when DS was a bit younger and we were co-sleeping I woke up in the middle of the night to complete silence (he is quite noisy normally!) - I was terrified, put my hand on his chest and didn't feel movement - I lifted him in the air, shouted, shook him (not that rough he was about 10 months) and he of course screamed, never has that noise been so welcome. He was just in a very deep sleep, once or twice he has set his breathing monitor off but never actually stopped breathing. So so scary though.

Hope you are calmer now and that she is better soon.

junglist1 Sun 07-Jun-09 16:58:51

YANBU and it doesn't matter about being a GP you're a mother first and it was pure instinct. Don't worry about it, what a fright! Pour yourself a nice G and T

sunfleurs Sun 07-Jun-09 17:14:50

I can't imagine there is a parent in the world who has not done the same thing at one time or another.

cheshirekitty Sun 07-Jun-09 18:00:55

As junglist 1 has said, you are a mother first, doctor second.

Hope you have calmed down and your pulse rate has returned to normal.

2nd that cup of tea and choc biscuit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now