Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Another school holidfay AIBU

(20 Posts)
katiestar Sun 07-Jun-09 11:42:22

we have had a letter from Our schoolsaying their new policy now of not authorising holidays during term time unless they are skiing holidays (the rationale being skiing season is relatively short!!Personally i think it is a bit elitist

ellingwoman Sun 07-Jun-09 11:44:42

Is that for real? shock

What's wrong with feb half term and Easter (if it's early)?

Nancy66 Sun 07-Jun-09 11:46:13

that is a very odd decision - surely it has to be black and white? All holidays during term time refused. I think allowing grey areas is asking for trouble.

movingintothefuture Sun 07-Jun-09 11:46:45

how about trips if they are educational ? I guess they don't count hmm

Madness!

sarah293 Sun 07-Jun-09 11:48:14

Message withdrawn

broguemum Sun 07-Jun-09 11:50:15

But what about trips to the Punjab for pig sticking and to catch a few chukkas of polo??!!! Surely they should make an exception for that too???

Bonneville Sun 07-Jun-09 11:52:26

Cannot understand the reasoning behind this. Why does the school think a skiing holiday would be of better benefit to a child than the time at school? Seems a bit silly.

MadameCastafiore Sun 07-Jun-09 11:55:01

How are they going to enforce it?

Do you have to take in your airline tickets etc?

You can ski all year round too - Chile, Argentina, New Zealand, or Australia offer great skiing from June to September or October.

movingintothefuture Sun 07-Jun-09 11:58:42

Does leave the question: who is on the PTA that is influencing this mad policy?

katiestar Sun 07-Jun-09 11:59:31

Well they say there are only 3 weeks of school holidays when they can ski.
Added to that many families seem unable to go on holiday by themselves and have to holiday with other families ,they argus that it is very difficult to book large groups in school holidays.

I don't deny it is sour grapes from me.We can't afford to ski and it is a struggle to be able to afford a holiday at all.

katiestar Sun 07-Jun-09 12:00:53

I think all the Parent governors ski at least once every year.

movingintothefuture Sun 07-Jun-09 12:02:25

hmm families have to go on holiday with other families? Large group bookings a problem? (only if you leave it late!) I don't think its sour grapes I think its a policy that needs questioning!

lizziemun Sun 07-Jun-09 12:39:55

Heres answer - Tell them to book the holiday bloody earlier ffs.

123andaway Sun 07-Jun-09 12:41:43

Thats easy, if you want to go on holiday in term time just tell them you are going skiing! The fly off to exotic destination of your choice!

PuppyMonkey Sun 07-Jun-09 12:42:24

Well, I can see a lot of people going on "skiing holidays" when in fact they are actually just going to Bognor Regis for a fortnight... who would know? hmm

honie Sun 07-Jun-09 13:49:03

Go water skiing ;)

pointydog Sun 07-Jun-09 13:50:15

lol. Really? That is silly

PlumBumMum Sun 07-Jun-09 13:54:24

I live in N Ireland and there was a big debate about term time holidays recently because the education minister took her dd during term time

It has now come to light that these are only guidlines and you are allowed to take your children out of school if
It is beneficial to the family unit
and a number of reasons I can't quite remember right now,
but I thought in that case anyone could go to school and say that they are having a tough time at the minute and the family need a holiday, its up to the prinicipal to either mark your children absent with consent or not

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 07-Jun-09 16:20:57

It's probably illegal actually - not to mention discriminatory.

dilemma456 Sun 07-Jun-09 16:33:56

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now