Talk

Advanced search

To hate it when people finish my sentances for me?

(10 Posts)
poshsinglemum Sat 06-Jun-09 20:01:29

I mean- I don't talk too slow or dither. It's so rude. Mabe people assume I can't talk?! AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHRRRRRRR!
This dosn't happen very often but there is one person who does this to me and I just think WHY???????

warthog Sat 06-Jun-09 20:02:30

i think they're trying to be empathetic. they don't realize it's annoying. i used to do this a bit, but now i've learnt to bite my tongue!

nickytwotimes Sat 06-Jun-09 20:02:55

...I just think why???

<talks over posho> wink

knockedgymnast Sat 06-Jun-09 20:03:06

I hope it's not me?? grin

I have an awful habit of doing this!!

poshsinglemum Sat 06-Jun-09 20:05:28

I think I must do it sometimes without realising blush It just seems to happen an awful lot with one person I know and sometimes I wonder who is having the conversation.

Mabe it is empathy. I didn't think of it like that!

Merrylegs Sat 06-Jun-09 20:08:46

..and I just think WHY??????

(Sorry. Couldn't resist!)

I had a friend who used to do this too. It was most irritating, especially when you began to look out for it.

I think she wanted to show she was empathising and engaging with me.

We lost touch and then randomly bumped into each other about 5 years later.

Me - "Wow, good to see you. How are you?
Her - "Great. And you?"
Me - "Yeah good. Really busy you know -"
Her "....................... Really busy yeah you know how it is."

TsarChasm Sat 06-Jun-09 20:11:09

Lol.. dd's teacher does this. It's really disconcerting.

I started a thread in it once. I was trying to tell her something about dd and an appointment and she kept finishing my words for me.

So I slowed down cos I thought she wanted to speak and she stopped too cos I did. Then we speed up again! Then it was all I could notice and I forgot what I had to say. It was hilarious grin

I dread parents evenings now - I try and stick to 'yes' and 'no'.grin

Haribosmummy Sat 06-Jun-09 20:22:32

ARGH!! My mother does this all the time - but NEVER gets the ending right...

So, I end up going... NOOOOOOOOOOO... NOT THAT.. Just listen WOMAN!!! [GAH Emoticon!]

echt Sat 06-Jun-09 20:44:50

Haribosmummy - used to work with someone who did this, and Mr Echt does it occasionally and they're never ever right about what I was going to say. How bloody annoying it is.

tigerdriver Sat 06-Jun-09 20:48:48

a dear friend of mine does this -

"we went to tesco yesterday and it was really boring"
(not that I really talk about supermarkets but you get the drift)

her "really boring, hahaha"

and so on through the whole conversation. (I only hope I don't do it too, but it might be catching). I do interrupt all the time though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now