Talk

Advanced search

Was i being unreasonable or were ALL the supermarket customers unreasonable?

(76 Posts)
ThePhantomPlopper Sat 06-Jun-09 12:28:30

I'm Ill, cough, cold, temp, sore throat, aches and pains. I have a cold.

Had to go to the supermarket, didn't want to but I had to. Coughing all the way around (hand over my mouth) and getting glares. I look like the living dead today, no make up and wild hair.

Anyway I get to the checkout and my phone rings, it was DH and because there was a long queue, I answered. He noticed I sounded unwell and I said I was off to the Doctors and jokingly said "reckon it's swine flu haha" That was mistake number 1. The people behind me started tutting and saying I was disgraceful! I was shock but carried on speaking to DH, when I hung up the couple started again, I told them I was joking and that I just had a cold, the lady behind then piped up with "how do you know it's just a cold, have you been tested? And if you are joking it's not funny, my 14yo nephew had a grommit operation as a child, things like this aren't funny for people like him" Mistake number 2, I snorted at this, I thought she was joking, apparently not.

So all hell breaks loose, 1st couple start demanding that the checkout man washes his hands after serving me and 2nd lady is loudly telling everyone that I'm a rude, inconsiderate woman spreading swine flu to all. I'm blush and getting angry so I shouted "will you freaks just shut up" and stormed out. (I know THAT was unreasonable but I'm ill).

Has the world gone mad? I can't believe it happened, the whole thing was so ridiculous.

<dons hard hat as a precautionary measure>

burningupinspeed Sat 06-Jun-09 12:30:47

YANBU, the world has gone mad.

junglist1 Sat 06-Jun-09 12:38:13

i think they should have wound their necks in after you said you were joking.

naturalblonde Sat 06-Jun-09 12:38:55

YANBU, people are nuts.

Tommy Sat 06-Jun-09 12:41:41

this has just made LOL - sorry you are ill but the world does seem to have gone mad - or at least the people in your supermarket (was it Asda by any chance? wink)

goldrock Sat 06-Jun-09 12:42:54

hilarious - YANBU, could you go back next week and cough in a consumptive way and gt them all worried about TB ?

BalloonSlayer Sat 06-Jun-09 12:43:14

arf-de-arf-arf at "14yo nephew had a grommit operation as a child, things like this aren't funny for people like him."

Well, live and learn, I honestly had no idea that swine flu is more serious for people who have had grommits. Has she informed the WHO, do you think?

ThePhantomPlopper Sat 06-Jun-09 12:45:46

I seriously thought she was joking at the grommits. I laughed, I couldn't help it.

becksydee Sat 06-Jun-09 12:47:35

YANBU

my DP and i both suffer from hayfever. on the same day a few weeks ago, on different tube trains, a woman got up and moved to the other end of the carriage when my DP sneezed, and a man sitting 2 seats away from me tutted loudly and said 'oh for god's sake' under his breath when i sneezed a few times in a row! shock angry i did it v discreetly, hand covering mouth and all that so it's hardly as if i was spreading my germs all over the place. some people seem to have lost all sense of perspective.

BalloonSlayer Sat 06-Jun-09 12:50:11

I dare say she meant the poor chap remains a martyr to ear infections every time he gets a cold, and therefore even a mild cold is a source of dread in their family. But to imply "people like him" were at more risk from swine flu . . . no wonder you laughed.

mayorquimby Sat 06-Jun-09 12:50:22

that's fucking pathetic, excuse my french.
fair play or not just trying to ppease the situation to avoid a scene and calling it like it is.
the grommits thing is ridiculous. people who say things like this are just looking to be offended by something and for some reason think people will be gulted by such tenuos link.

Claire2009 Sat 06-Jun-09 12:50:27

I'd have loved to have been there TPP grin that sounds hilarious

YANBU they are bonkers.

nannyL Sat 06-Jun-09 12:53:27

YANBU

yes the whole supermarket WERE being unreasonable!

picmaestress Sat 06-Jun-09 12:54:02

Crikey, they all sound completely nuts. YANBU.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 06-Jun-09 13:02:15

Well, I have to say that, whilst they over-reacted completely, at the same time really it shows that people do prefer not to catch stuff - even though its not flu, from your description I really wouldnt want what you have.

We are all so good at carrying on regardless of how crap we feel. Dragging ourselves to shops, on the school run, to work. But really, how essential is it all? can we make do more, ask neighbours, ask friends. It can't all be cut out but it can be reduced. What would you have done for food if you really did have swine flu?

It will be sensible, especially in the autumn to make sure you have a bit of a stock cupboard. Just a weeks worth. Not easy for many I know, but for those who can put aside a tin here and there, essentials like loo paper, tampons, nappies, cough and cold remedies it would be sensible.

I hope you were using a tissue to cough into - coughing into your hand then touching things - good way to spread your cold.

onagar Sat 06-Jun-09 13:02:48

YANBU and all of them were.

Next time I go out I'm going to pretend to be ill to see if it happens to me.

LovelyTinOfSpam Sat 06-Jun-09 13:06:12

ROFL that is brilliant what a bunch of nutjobs!

I definitely think we need to be informed of which supermarket it was grin

tallulahbelly Sat 06-Jun-09 13:12:42

"Will you freaks just shut up" grin

I'd have paid money to have been there.

YANBU

Bucharest Sat 06-Jun-09 13:16:21

YANBU- but you were very funny and you've made my day!
(also given me ideas on how to get everyone to scuttle out of my way in the supermarket queue!) grin

ThePhantomPlopper Sat 06-Jun-09 13:16:21

<whispers> it was Lidl.

I know I shouldn't have gone out, but I ran out of babywipes and the reason I went to Lidl is because it is at the back our house. I was using a hanky. Catch it, bin it, kill it and all that.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 06-Jun-09 13:21:03

The kill it bit makes me laugh. Have visions of us all stamping on our hankies!

DesperateHousewifeToo Sat 06-Jun-09 13:21:57

YANBU

They should not have been listening to your conversation.

How rude grin

ThePhantomPlopper Sat 06-Jun-09 13:29:18

I know. The nosy gits.

tallulahbelly Sat 06-Jun-09 13:31:43

You've just made something dawn on me.

Yesterday I went to an office building I hadn't been in for exactly a month.

The corridors were festooned with anti-bacterial hand gel dispensers by the lifts and the doors to the office suites.

I couldn't understand why, but it's swine flu, isn't it?

The world is mad.

I didn't see anyone using them.

LovelyTinOfSpam Sat 06-Jun-09 13:33:47

tallulah what?

Antibac handgel dispensers in an office?

The loons are taking over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now