Talk

Advanced search

To really dislike the word 'Lush'?

(46 Posts)
pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 07:42:55

Its just so common sounding.

I have just read it being used somewhere - 'oh she looks lush, it would be lush to use it tomorrow at her birthday' in reference to a photo of an old lady drunk as a lord.

So, AIBU?

echt Sat 06-Jun-09 07:49:03

I associate it with pissed-up Geordie lasses, the Fat Slags, in fact. I should emphasise that I do not disapprove of the FSs as they always win.

belgo Sat 06-Jun-09 07:49:52

YABU. It's a word from my childhood and I feel all sentimental about it.

Tamarto Sat 06-Jun-09 08:06:10

I love their products.

OrmIrian Sat 06-Jun-09 08:12:41

It is a good word for describing vegetation. But not as a general indication of approbation.

So there.

OrmIrian Sat 06-Jun-09 08:13:29

I also hate 'fabby' and 'fave'

Whilst we are on the subject of word snobbery.

PuppyMonkey Sat 06-Jun-09 08:15:14

I hate walking past Lush shops. The flowery soap smell makes we want to vomit.

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 08:25:22

It means 'excessively drunk person' or something does it not - so echt your associations are partly correct!

I am not the most poetic speaker in the world. I have my faults, but this word just makes me cringe.

Feel free to add your own word snobbery pet hates (i don't like fabby or fave either)

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 08:27:06

I am guessing, having thought about it, that Lush is an abbreviation of the word 'luscious'? It must be. So why not use that perfectly acceptable word?

StealthPolarBear Sat 06-Jun-09 08:33:25

I hate it too - seems to be getting more popular

Longtalljosie Sat 06-Jun-09 08:36:02

It's because of Gavin and Stacey I expect. I've never really heard it but my Welsh friends tell me it's really common (as in usual) in Wales - is that where you are?

noddyholder Sat 06-Jun-09 08:37:56

Me too.The shop aswell gives me instant nausea and a headache with its overpowering cheap smells!

ABetaDad Sat 06-Jun-09 08:39:35

I like 'lush' its a local word where we live that I am not used to hearing. The first time I heard it was when a big hairy builder turned to me and said "your DW makes a lovely cup of coffee - its really lush"

Walking past the Lush shop I always thnk it would be nice if they also sold real eatable things as well as cosmetics. Things like icecreams, sorbets, cakes and smoothees and coffee. I am sure they would get loads of business because the smell draws people in.

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 08:40:34

longtallsally - no close enough though, in Devon!

But, the person I heard it from, they live in Essex!

rasputin Sat 06-Jun-09 08:42:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rasputin Sat 06-Jun-09 08:46:21

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 08:46:24

rasputin yes, in the correct context, it is fine. but as a reference to an old drunk woman in a photo, not fine!

Ivykaty44 Sat 06-Jun-09 08:46:27

A lush is a woman who drinks before midday due to the need for a drink at that time of day.

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 08:47:13

ivy - lol, maybe it was used in context for part of how I heard it used then grin

potatofactory Sat 06-Jun-09 08:47:19

Talking about the shop, I find it REALLY offensive - so much so that I have thought of complaining! Are there laws about smell pollution? Repulsive! At best it smells like toilet cleaner!

I hate the word too.

And fab / fabby / fave, etc.

I am a curmudgeon, in case you hadn't guessed grin

daftpunk Sat 06-Jun-09 08:48:36

i like the word...(and the products)

i use fab and fave on here ...(sorry ormirian)...never heard of fabby though..

rasputin Sat 06-Jun-09 08:48:59

Ivykaty44 Sat 06-Jun-09 08:55:32

If someone called me a lush - I would be really insulted.

I only like a tipple grin

As far as I know a lush is a term for a female drunk - not a male

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 08:57:42

daftpunk - i use fab. But not fabby, or fave. Fab is a good word though. Although I prefer fabulous!

I think also, what bothers me about this word Lush, is when it is used by people who are not 'yoof'. Which I sort of expect, some kind of street language perhaps. But 'grown ups? no.

noddyholder Sat 06-Jun-09 09:01:46

I have never smelt any essential oils as vile as those!They are like cheap disinfectants in fancy wrappers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now