Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not weed my garden now that my house is sold?

(28 Posts)
loobyt Fri 05-Jun-09 21:58:42

Am I?

Hulababy Fri 05-Jun-09 21:59:41

Yes, YABU. Not fair on the new buyers - you should leave the house and garden in a good, neat and tidy state IMO.

nametaken Fri 05-Jun-09 22:01:24

Leave the house and garden in good order or it will come back and bite you on the bum.

loobyt Fri 05-Jun-09 22:09:06

Oh okay, I was just being lazy! If the sun comes out again (unlikely) then I will!

nametaken Fri 05-Jun-09 22:10:29

Good girl

<<pats loobyt on the head in a patronising manner>>

isittooearlyforgin Fri 05-Jun-09 22:11:20

god! can barely manage to keep inside of house under control,let alone outdoors tidying. I applaud you and your gardening!

ClaireDeLoon Fri 05-Jun-09 22:12:54

I bought this house and the cowbag hadn't mowed the lawn since I'd made an offer I didn't mind the lack of weeding though!

Ninkynork Fri 05-Jun-09 22:16:15

YANBU, especially since I thought at first glance that you were planning to wee in your garden now that your house was sold wink

loobyt Fri 05-Jun-09 22:18:33

In order to defend myself... we have no plants in the garden and the weeding I refer to is actually that that runs along the oustside of our fence and around a public foot path, but it still looks crap. I do have a few plants growing up outside the bathroom and kitchen windows that are surrounded by weeds so will deal with them, I am a composive cleaner so it bugs me but i do still feel as if I am wasting my time as bit!

isittooearlyforgin Fri 05-Jun-09 22:18:39

Ninkynonk grin
at least no mention of shitting in flower beds - that would just be purile and childish!

SomeGuy Fri 05-Jun-09 22:22:09

No don't weed, we weed about once a year wink

loobyt Fri 05-Jun-09 22:24:50

Oh good someguy, I HATE gardening! I have better things to do!

No, isittionearly forgin, no shitting in beds here wink

loobyt Fri 05-Jun-09 22:26:48

Ninkynork... wee in my garden! This made me chuckle!

flatcapandpearls Fri 05-Jun-09 22:27:59

Our sale goes through on Monday, dp is there this weekend just making sure verything is OK and weeding, mowing lawns.

loobyt Fri 05-Jun-09 22:31:33

Very good flatcap. I wonder though what is expected... cleaning cupboards and fridge, who knows! Just glad to sell, I even washed the outside of the house before viewings! Too much you think! grin

loobyt Fri 05-Jun-09 22:33:43

Bed calls... catch up later ladies, after I've done the weeding of course grin

flatcapandpearls Fri 05-Jun-09 22:33:46

I don't know I thought dp was mad to do it, he has driven 6 hours (actually 8 in the traffic) to do so. I dont think he is washing the outside of the house though.grin

loobyt Fri 05-Jun-09 22:34:42

Hee,hee,hee, flatcap, I am a nutter though!

isittooearlyforgin Fri 05-Jun-09 22:43:45

if you have any excess housework energy it can always be harnessed here!

echt Sat 06-Jun-09 07:46:35

Leave as everything lovely as possible. Years ago, when we moved into our house in the UK, the previous owners, who had rented it out for a while, cleaned it from top to bottom, and left a bottle of wine waiting for us in the kitchen.

I've remembered this always, and, rather superstitiously, think of it as good luck which we should pass on. We were happy there and did the same when we sold.

melmog Sat 06-Jun-09 08:13:58

I'm with Echt. After a lovely couple left us an immaculate house and garden with a bottle of bubbly, bunch of flowers and a card to move in to, I've always done the same.

It's a great gesture at a stressful time. I'd hope the lady I did it for would do next time she moves, so we're spreading the love!

PuppyMonkey Sat 06-Jun-09 08:19:52

I have a rare condition called "weed blindness." It means I never notice untidy gardens and lawns that need mowing. It just doesn't register. I reckon you should claim the same thing affects you. wink

NeedaNewName Sat 06-Jun-09 08:38:44

I agree with melmog.

I was out tidying the garden yesterday (we had an offer on ours back in March - hoping to complete end of this month) it could all still go tits up and I would have been left with an untidy garden.

Also plan on cleaning after everything is packed up and leaving a bottle of wine and card for new buyer. And I'm pretty sure who we're buying from will do the same - make everyone feel warm, fuzy and cosy!!!

ABetaDad Sat 06-Jun-09 08:41:38

YABUish - but just do it once a few days before you move.

Longtalljosie Sat 06-Jun-09 08:44:08

I'd leave the house in a reasonable state in case you need to get back in touch with them. You never know - something could be inadvertently delivered to your old address, you could have left something behind... you don't want it to be embarrassing.

I don't think people would expect you to leave the garden looking like Alan Titchmarsh lived there, but give the lawn a final mow and keep on top of the weeding as you'd do if you were still staying.

That said, the people we sold our house to insisted we move out 10 days before the rest of the chain was ready, leaving us homeless and our stuff in storage during that time. It cost a fortune. At that point I decided they could go jump and didn't do half the last minute stuff I'd intended.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now