Talk

Advanced search

To be considering an email of complaint to a newspaper

(17 Posts)
suiledonn Fri 05-Jun-09 21:47:11

Irish newspaper by the way. Just wondering what you all think.

Yesterday my MIL gave me the colour supplement from a Sunday paper we don't buy ourselves as she knows I like the fashion and food articles. The paper does a 2 page photo spread every week with bitchy comments about minor Irish celebs ( I think they are celebs although I have never heard of most of them).

One woman who features regularly is a former model and socialite and this week they had a photo of her at some event or other with one of her children. The caption went 'Busy day for Amanda. First you whore out your kid...

and then there was a photo of her promoting something else with the caption 'then you whore out yourself'

To me it seems very distasteful to show a photo of someone's child and refer to 'whoring'. I am surprised the editor let it through.

What do you think?

LovelyTinOfSpam Fri 05-Jun-09 22:01:20

Ooooh that's nasty.

Complain it will make you feel better. Don't expect reponse/apology or anything though.

You could also complain to irish version of press complaints commission, but again they probably can't do anything.

Freedom of speech and all that hmm

suiledonn Fri 05-Jun-09 22:03:07

I wonder if the woman herself will complain or will it be a case of 'there's no such thing as bad publicity'

It reminded me why we don't buy that newspaper.

TheYearOfTheCat Fri 05-Jun-09 22:05:20

Sounds very unpleasant. Gutter press.

I'm sure Amanda, whoever she is, will also be complaining.

Which paper was it?

ingles2 Fri 05-Jun-09 22:09:37

nasty!
What on earth made them think that was acceptable?
complain.... do they have website where you can leave comments?

TinyPawz Fri 05-Jun-09 22:43:00

Is it Amanda Byram by any chance???

suiledonn Fri 05-Jun-09 22:45:00

No Amanda Brunker. Former model I think.

chegirl Sat 06-Jun-09 21:51:34

Go for it. I am always doing it. Doesnt often get me anywhere but makes me feel a bit better.

I complained to Grazia. They printed a picture of black people 'looting' during Katrina. They were really scathing about what scumbags they were.

Really pissed me off that a shallow fashion mag thought they should be passing comment on such desperate human beings. It stuck me as verging on racist (you had to see it). Got some snotty reply saying they were only reporting on what was happening. It later emerged that the intial media coverage was highly biased and they were WRONG.

HAH so there Grazia

So email them if you want to. I would smile

Noonki Sat 06-Jun-09 22:00:15

I always complain, it never takes long in this day of internet.

i did only yesterday to M&S and their fecking 'mummy and me'range. If you don't complain you shouldnt complain iyswim grin

Takver Sat 06-Jun-09 22:09:31

Definitely complain, also always worth writing letters for printing - IME they almost always print them, at least the Grauniad does, I don't think many people bother so they can't have many to choose from (either that or I am unusually eloquent, and which I don't think grin).

Ronaldinhio Sat 06-Jun-09 22:12:40

I complained to Grazia about all the endless Angleina/Jennifer made up drivel they spout each week
It's dull and does nothing for woman kind

When I think about it I feel that perhaps I should be embarassed about sending the letter

bigted Sat 06-Jun-09 22:14:49

Ronald you have touched a nerve.
That stuff is terrible

SomeGuy Sat 06-Jun-09 22:16:31

The Katrina looting thing was tricky.

Lots of people claimed racism, but people did steal TVs and so on.

Here's an example claim of 'racism' "Black people 'loot' white people 'find'"

But it turned out to be true, the black man pictured WAS looting and the white person wasn't. But lots of people like to play the race card and claim anything negative said about someone who happens not to be white is by definition racist. Which is a lot of bollocks.

www.snopes.com/katrina/photos/looters.asp

chegirl Sat 06-Jun-09 22:28:24

I dont feel its quite as simple as that Someguy.

Lot of people left to rot in New Orleans, most of them black.

If I was left to die in a post apocolyptic landscape I think I would head to the nearest Asda and nick whatever the hell I needed.

I dont think that all black people are wonderful and all white people are racist. It seems to be the opposite of your assertion now. Anyone claiming racisism is immediately accused of pulling out the race card.

I would imagine it is far more likely that most incidents are left unreported and uncommented on.

Mind you I have been on the receiving end of a throughly annoying accusation of racisism on this very forum. It only served to give ammunition to those who seek to deny racisim exsists.

chegirl Sat 06-Jun-09 22:29:05

I dont feel its quite as simple as that Someguy.

Lot of people left to rot in New Orleans, most of them black.

If I was left to die in a post apocolyptic landscape I think I would head to the nearest Asda and nick whatever the hell I needed.

I dont think that all black people are wonderful and all white people are racist. It seems to be the opposite of your assertion now. Anyone claiming racisism is immediately accused of pulling out the race card.

I would imagine it is far more likely that most incidents are left unreported and uncommented on.

Mind you I have been on the receiving end of a throughly annoying accusation of racisism on this very forum. It only served to give ammunition to those who seek to deny racisim exsists.

SomeGuy Sat 06-Jun-09 22:31:25

I don't deny racism exists, it's just very difficult to judge because people play the race card so often.

Of course if it comes to choosing between a white chav and a middle class person you'll almost always get discrimination and nothing's said. That's why thugs always wear a suit to court.

chegirl Sat 06-Jun-09 22:39:21

Pulling the race card seems to be the default reaction to any claim of racism now.

But then pulling the sexist/homophobic/single parent card seems also to be the default reaction.

My OH gets stopped by the police on a regular basis. He is a 39 year old, respectable father. I challenge you to find a white contempory that gets stopped as often as he does.

He is less likely to call the race card than you are! Sad thing is he cannot be bothered to even complain. Whats the point?

I think a white chav is more than likely to call discrimination if they dont get their own way. I hear it all the time in the playground, on the street and at work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now