Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to refuse to visit my ILs because of the election results?

(32 Posts)
badgermonkey Fri 05-Jun-09 19:41:05

My ILs live in one of the areas that have elected a BNP councillor. I am completely disgusted and sickened by this - is it a good enough excuse not to visit them? It's not a very nice place anyway, and I can't bear the thought of looking around when we're in the pub (or more likely, the working man's club) wondering which of the fellow customers are vile racists.

OK, I probably am BU. But I really don't want to go there now, not that I ever really did before. I'd want to shout "you ought to be ashamed of yourselves!" in the street grin

chegirl Fri 05-Jun-09 19:44:49

I wouldnt go, but then my kids are black.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 05-Jun-09 19:44:53

YABU, but you know that. grin Unless your PILs voted BNP?

badgermonkey Fri 05-Jun-09 19:48:54

Well, I would very much hope they didn't, but who knows?

frogwatcher Fri 05-Jun-09 20:01:23

I fully understand your reaction to the BNP but I also can understand people voting for them. I think a lot of people dont fully understand what they are about and havent researched it fully. Many people believe that BNP are not really racist but prepared to take a hard line to stop overcrowding etc. I know a few people who voted for them, who I know for a fact are not racist and genuinely appear to have family and friends of different nationalities. I really think a lot of people are scared at how PC the country is over things like life sentences meaning short sentences for paedophiles etc, overcrowding which the papers often blame on immigration even though I believe the main course is more single adult households etc. I know of one person who voted for them because she thinks they wont get in but it will be a wake up call on the three main parties to get a bit tougher! I may be naive, but in my (limited) experience I dont think all BNP voters realise the anti black, anti women thing.

frogwatcher Fri 05-Jun-09 20:02:54

Reading that back it sounds like I voted for them which I didnt and wouldnt, having close black friends as just one reason why not. However, I was trying to explain why I think not all BNP voters are racist - just a bit naive.

tryingtobemarypoppins Fri 05-Jun-09 20:06:59

and a bit thick frogwatcher!

frogwatcher Fri 05-Jun-09 20:10:49

Are you accusing me of being thick marypoppins, because actually thats not altogether true (or so I am told)!!!!

frogwatcher Fri 05-Jun-09 20:11:53

I forgot to add a grin

tryingtobemarypoppins Fri 05-Jun-09 20:12:43

no frogwatcher, I'm saying anyone who voted BMP is "just a bit naive" and a bit thick!

MrsMattie Fri 05-Jun-09 20:13:49

I walk through East London (where the BNP have a stronghold) with my mixed race DCs... and don't give a fuck. Let them dare to cross me.

I wouldn't not visit someone because they lived in a BNP area. However, ILs are a whole other ball game. Any excuse not to see them grin wink

troutpout Fri 05-Jun-09 20:14:48

grin @ you ranting at all the people in the street.
yabu... and you know that don't you
smile
my kids are mixed race too...and it wouldn't stop me...(hell.. i was brought up in an area like that)
But yes...it is horrible of course...i felt vunerable walking through town with my kids the other week when the bnp had set up a stall

frogwatcher Fri 05-Jun-09 20:15:49

Marypoppins - oh I see - obviously I too am a bit thick!!

troutpout Fri 05-Jun-09 20:15:59

lol mrs mattie

MrsMattie Fri 05-Jun-09 20:20:27

Once upon a time I was walking through Bethnal Green alone and a BNP bint stopped me and started talking some sort of fraff to me about the BNP being 'the peoples party'. I told her as poiltely as I could that I wasn't interested (OK, not that politely. I think the word 'fuck' might have been used...I reserve this for BNP and pro-life nutjobs who accost me on the street...). Anyhoo...I then met up with (black) DH and kids and walked back past said stall. The BNP bint went bright red. I shouted 'Yeah...you should be ashamed, love!'. Says a lot about how thick these people are, I think. Didn't occur to her that a lily white woman would have a black husband and mixed kids. Shocking!

Twatface.

SlartyBartFast Fri 05-Jun-09 20:23:57

so where did they get in shock?

LaurieFairyCake Fri 05-Jun-09 20:26:15

Nearly 20 years ago I was on an anti-fascist march as a student where I was winding up this pro-Nazi BNP prospective councillor.

I was interrupting his media interview by accusing him of holocaust denying and yelling at him he was a racist.

He lost his cool and told me to go and put my head in a gas chamber shock grin

All on tape grin and it aired on the North-East news. He was very quickly replaced.

Cunt.

YanknCock Fri 05-Jun-09 20:29:42

MrsMattie, I remember having moments like that when I was married to XH. Usually when someone brought up 'immigrants'. I'd point out that I was an 'immigrant' and they'd qualify that with 'oh but you're white'. Yep, and H's parents are from Jamaica. Watch the faces go red and people try to get feet out of mouths. At least they had the sense to be embarassed and not proud of their racism (small consolation).

OP, I'd probably use it as an excuse if I didn't like my inlaws. But I like my ex-ILs and my current ones, so nothing would stop me seeing either!

MrsMattie Fri 05-Jun-09 20:34:47

Exactly!@Yank. My parents came from Ireland. DH's - Guyana/Jamaica. No difference apart from the colour of our skin.

Laurie - that is a classic. So funny (in a sick and sad sort of way).

Holocaust deniers really, really wind me up <grinds teeth>

messalina Fri 05-Jun-09 20:38:01

Any excuse is good enough to avoid a visit to your in-laws. Go for it.

badgermonkey Fri 05-Jun-09 20:49:12

I must point out that DH is less than impressed, especially as he grew up there and doesn't really want people to think he's a backwards and ignorant as the people who voted BNP.

chegirl Fri 05-Jun-09 20:49:51

Laurie Hurray! I miss those marches <harks back to radical youth>

Mrs Mattie - OH Guyanese too. Dontcha just hate it when people go 'oh Ghana'. DD's nursery once did a whole wall display on her (different child every month). It was lovely and informative but unfortunately about a different country in a different continent!

2rebecca Fri 05-Jun-09 22:26:19

I wouldn't not visit my parents because some local idiots voted in a BNP councillor, so I see no reason not to visit my husband's parents. If either lot admitted to voting BNP they wouldn't get a visit though, and any positive comments about the BNP would see me straight out the door.

piscesmoon Fri 05-Jun-09 22:32:55

I don't see what it has to do with your PIL.

BlackSock Fri 05-Jun-09 22:34:47

I think you should talk with your Il's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now