Talk

Advanced search

to leave her screaming?

(12 Posts)
pjmama Fri 05-Jun-09 19:30:15

DD is 2yrs 8mths and has recently started to try screaming at the top of her voice to get her own way (it never works btw).

She's usually an angel at bedtime but tonight has been screaming bloody murder for nearly an hour and I think I'm starting to lose my marbles a bit.

She's had a dose of Calpol (she's probably given herself a headache by now anyway).

If I go back in the room to settle her, she's all smiles and asking for cuddles, drinks, sing twinkle twinkle etc. so I'm pretty sure she's just pushing her luck.

However it doesn't seem to matter how long I leave it between going back in, whether I speak to her or not - tonight she just won't stop screaming?!!

Should I just go and pour myself a large one and wait for her to fall asleep? Does anyone have any magic suggestions before I chuck myself out of a window?

StealthPolarBear Fri 05-Jun-09 19:33:25

you poor thing
Yes, personally I would leave her and I'm as soft as they come
If she's bright and happy when you're there then she's not in pain, if you tell her that its bedtime, time for her to go to sleep and firmly say goodnight then that would do me.
DS is just over two - this has only happened a couple of times recently but it's horrible

StealthPolarBear Fri 05-Jun-09 19:34:00

is she just not tired? Can she have a book or something to read -would that placate her?

FabulousBakerGirl Fri 05-Jun-09 19:34:03

Calpol to calm her down?

terramum Fri 05-Jun-09 19:34:50

If this is unusual behaviour I would just bring her downstairs to go to sleep or the sofa near you. Maybe she's coming down with something or just needs to be close to you tonight?

pjmama Fri 05-Jun-09 19:37:14

I'm ashamed to say I lost my rag a bit and shouted at her! Unfortunately it seems to have worked, she's suddenly gone quiet. Now I feel like a shit mother...!

Scootergrrrl Fri 05-Jun-09 19:38:59

You're not rubbish - if she's screaming at you in order to push your buttons, you don't want it to become a habit at bedtimes! Maybe go in and give her a cuddle and explain why you got so cross and that you still love her etc etc and now she'd better get off to sleep.

misscutandstick Fri 05-Jun-09 19:39:41

does she have an TV electronic babysitter in her room? singy songy nightlight?

i think extreme circumstances I tend to throw a few toys in the cot and leave them to it - after making sure they are safe and not hungry/wet/thirsty etc.

misscutandstick Fri 05-Jun-09 19:41:13

actually if shes now gone quiet, think id leave her to it!!! no point making trouble.

just a big smile and hugs kisses tomorrow instead. and say what a good girl shes been to sleep all night (wishful thinking grin}

pjmama Fri 05-Jun-09 19:44:00

The hurricane appears to have blown over, phew! Felt so guilty I went back in to tell her she's a good girl for being quiet and gave her another kiss. She's stayed quiet so I think she'll probably go to sleep now. I think I'll go an pour myself that large one now - thanks very much everyone X

Enthusia Fri 05-Jun-09 19:58:44

Hooray, someone else going through exactly the same thing!!! Sorry that I seem pleased that you have had a tough night tonight but my daughter has been doing this for the past couple of nights, the crescendo being when she went to bed fine and then started this at 1am!!!!

It is so nice when you are no alone!

Again my daughter is bright and happy when you are in there, is happy during the day but then just switches! The middle of the night events are hard as don't feel I can leave her as she will wake my 3 year old son up, anyone with any advice for that?

Glad it she has settled now. Enjoy your evening!

NooNoo5 Sat 06-Jun-09 11:29:35

I would try an leave her as long as possible. I didn't and ended up with DS in our bed everynight. He now sleeps on his own all night BUT he is aged 5!! Don't make my mistake I was a soft touch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now