Talk

Advanced search

to not want to eat mouldy food?

(24 Posts)
mooki Fri 05-Jun-09 14:56:18

I was just about to eat a lovely crumpet with philadelphia cream cheese on, when, on putting the lid back on the tub, I noticed a patch of blue mould on the edge.

The mould wasn't touching any of the rest of the cheese and so I tried to enjoy the crumpet with a nice cup of tea and a sit down.

It was no good though, I kept having mouldy flashbacks and the whole thing just tasted wrong.

My husband says IABU, as the only bit which is mouldy is the bit that has gone blue, the rest of it should be fine.

But I'm like this with bread too. Even if I have been enjoying a bun, bap or barm cake perfectly well, if I turn it over a spot a speck of mould on it, I can't eat it any more.

I try not to look at the lid of the pesto jar if it has been in the fridge for more than a week...

whomovedmychocolate Fri 05-Jun-09 15:00:38

Since mould gives off spores which float over the entire surface of the food, you will have eaten some - sorry! I'm the same, I will sometimes eat it but urgh if you think about it. shock

shinyshoes Fri 05-Jun-09 15:02:51

the spore starts off in the food manifesting itself on the surface as mould, so people who scrape the surface mould off (people do do this) will be eating it anyway. IYSWIM
Bet you feel a bit queasy grin.

laweaselmys Fri 05-Jun-09 15:03:02

I can't do it. DP can eat if he likes but otherwise it is too urgh for me! He thinks I'm silly too though...

Sycamoretreeisvile Fri 05-Jun-09 15:11:31

Urrgh, vom. The minute I see blue, white, or anything spore related, the whole thing goes in the bin. Why risk it?

whomovedmychocolate Fri 05-Jun-09 15:12:45

The only mouldy food I eat is stilton.

triggerhappybaby Fri 05-Jun-09 15:29:05

Surely the blue stuff is penicillium so should kill any bacterial infection you might have grin

Unless you are allergic to it, like me. I'm not allowed to eat anything with blue mould otherwise there would be a prolonged period of high drama followed by a trip to casualty

TrillianAstra Fri 05-Jun-09 15:40:56

I hav been known t cut the mould off any cheese that shouldn't have mould on it, cos I know that "cheese mould" is fine to eat .

crokky Fri 05-Jun-09 15:54:11

Totally agree with Sycamoretreeisvile - mould has bits you can't see - I'd chuck the whole thing if I saw mould on the edge.

supagirl Fri 05-Jun-09 15:57:29

YANBU - I would have thrown it all away. Just looking at mouldy food makes me heave. Pathetic I know, but that's just the way it is for me!

SG

HellHathNoFury Fri 05-Jun-09 16:03:32

Once, I opened a brand new pack of philadephia that had slimy pink mould on it.

That scared me and now I am a bit peculiar with Philly grin

whomovedmychocolate Fri 05-Jun-09 16:13:28

I opened some sausages yesterday - in date- and they had a funny pockmarked appearance shock

Needless to say I chucked them away.

I can't stand that moment when you bite into something and realise it's a bit moudly urgh.

And why oh why when we think milk is off do we insist on having a deep sniff???? WTF is that about - we know it's off, so why do we sniff it. I did this with chicken I found in the back of the fridge on Monday and vomited in the salad box. hmm

sarah293 Fri 05-Jun-09 16:23:04

Message withdrawn

ohdearwhatamess Fri 05-Jun-09 16:25:20

All mouldy food is thrown away or fed to the dog here (although quite a rare thing for food to last that long).

Dh and ds2 have penicillin allergies.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 05-Jun-09 16:25:48

I'm sorry to say I put it in the sink and DH dealt with it. The box, the salad was still in the garden - I only pick it when I want to eat it, otherwise it decomposes in the fridge.

sarah293 Fri 05-Jun-09 16:28:33

Message withdrawn

LovelyTinOfSpam Fri 05-Jun-09 16:38:20

Must admit that with slight mould I'm a pick the bits off and eat it anyway person. Well bread and cheese anyway.

I would draw the line at mouldy fish...

Ivykaty44 Fri 05-Jun-09 16:41:43

fgs its a bit of mould thats what cheese is made from grin

sweetcat Fri 05-Jun-09 16:45:04

My DH would agree with you. He just had a lemon and raisen pancake two days out of date. He aked if it would be OK, sure says I, just have a good look at it.

He did and took a big bite then noticed some mould on it and promptly puked in the bin!

Ivykaty44 Fri 05-Jun-09 17:18:30

Mold doesn't taste to nice - best to scrape it off first and then eat product.

Mold though is fine to eat - it will not give you fpoisning - like chicken not cooked properly.

I would rather eat food that had mold scraped from - than a lot of home bbq's where the food has been thrown on the bbq far to early after being lit - then burnt on the outside and raw in the middle. A good was to puke up all night long smile

mooki Fri 05-Jun-09 17:19:28

ew, right the whole tub is going in the bin. It doesn't help that I have no concept of size when online shopping and always end up with about a kg of the stuff.

oldraver Fri 05-Jun-09 18:39:01

I couldn't eat mouldy food.. or the ham I had been served after the assisitant had sneezed in her hand then served me, wihtout washing them shock

I was too stunned to say something at the time and felt a little rude doing so. When i walked away I thought 'I cant serve this to my family' and took it back and told her why

LolaTheShowgirl Sat 06-Jun-09 23:44:23

Listen to you all being all nash! You mard arses. A bit of mould'll strengthen you up, you sily weaklings! Isn't mould that stuff you get in tablets anyway?

Lucia39 Sun 07-Jun-09 13:51:33

Oh for heaven's sake! A small amount of mould on bread won't kill you. In fact penicillin is derived from a mould found on bread. Ancient societies often used mouldy bread to pack wounds.

The moulds found on meat products are a different matter, as are black moulds.

For god's sake get a grip! All this over-reaction regarding a small amount of mould. The same goes for raw meat products that are a couple of days past their sell-by date [unless mouldy -see above]! There aren't many organisms that are going to survive cooking at 200 degrees plus!

Time for "The Antiseptic Baby and Prophylactic Pup" again I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now