Talk

Advanced search

To feel annoyed at this bus driver?

(6 Posts)
ladyofshallots Fri 05-Jun-09 12:37:52

I was waiting 15 minutes for the bus with dd1 walking and dd2 in a pushchair(that I struggle to fold) and lots of heavy bags. I am also 20 weeks pregnant, although don't look that big yet, so bus driver may not have realised.

When the bus arrived it was fairly full, but there were no prams or wheelchairs and no one standing up. 3 teenage girls were sitting on one side where the priority seats for prams and wheelchairs are and some middle aged ladies on the other side. Normally someone would move to let me sit down there as pushchairs take priority.

As I tried to board the bus, the driver said 'sorry no room for buggies.' I should have said something, but I was so surprised I just said 'oh right' and withdrew from the bus. As the bus pulled out I saw 4 empty seats at the back of the bus. Surely someone at the front could have sat there and let me on with my pram?

VinegarTits Fri 05-Jun-09 12:40:59

YANBU ring the bus company and complain

ZZZen Fri 05-Jun-09 12:44:51

there were no prams or wheelchairs and no-one standing in that space? Hmm I think (possibly) I would have said there IS space for a buggy. YANBU

ladyofshallots Fri 05-Jun-09 12:47:08

I was thinking of complaining, but wasn't sure it warranted a complaint, will write a letter I think. I'm not very assertive and am annoyed that I didn't say anything.

shivster1980 Fri 05-Jun-09 12:53:06

YANBU the passengers as well as the driver should have noticed that you needed the pushchair space. Some people don't even register that there are others in this world. Grrr

I am also not very assertive and have many lines I would like to say in these situations but usually I just go "Oh ok then" and quietly fume!

sleepwhenidie Fri 05-Jun-09 13:49:33

YA definitely not BU - but it's amazing how much this happens. I remember when DD was a month or so old, in her buggy and I was waiting for bus into town with DH (v unusual for us to get bus together). The bus that turned up didn't even stop, but the driver did slow down near the stop and opened the door to call out "no room for buggies" (not even with a sorry) and drove on - there was one buggy on there already but the bus wasn't that full, we weren't even given the option to fold the buggy and carry DD! I shrugged, used to this happening, while DH was so angryangry!

I seem to remember seeing a news piece on TV recently about some group (NCT?) accusing London Transport of discrimination towards buggies and I think they are spot on - don't know how that campaign is going but hope it improves things. Definitely complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now