Talk

Advanced search

to ask GP for an expensive silicone cream to help with 2cm scar between eye brows??

(20 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins Fri 05-Jun-09 10:20:19

Its very red after 3 months and everyone asks about it.

DH thinks he is a boy and thats life. Can't help thinking he would say something different if DS was a DD.

Be honest!

VinegarTits Fri 05-Jun-09 10:22:46

is it for your ds? i think 3 months is only a short time for it to heal tbh, how old is he? bio oil is really good for scars

tryingtobemarypoppins Fri 05-Jun-09 10:49:12

Yes, he is 18months and we have been using bio oil twice a day for 2 months but it is still very red and bented. sad

tryingtobemarypoppins Fri 05-Jun-09 10:53:59

sorry dented

Sunshinemummy Fri 05-Jun-09 10:56:50

Have you tried Vitamin E cream? IT worked for me when I cut the bridge of my nose open while showing off in the swimming pool.

tryingtobemarypoppins Fri 05-Jun-09 11:00:28

How bad was the wound?? Did it need gluing Sunshinemummy?

charis Fri 05-Jun-09 11:13:32

My consultant told me that the silicone stuff didn't work in when they tested it in clinical trials. I don't think there is a magic answer.

Thandeka Fri 05-Jun-09 11:16:13

My skin does something called Keloid scars and I have tried everything, vit e oil etc. Steroid injections actually worked the best on my scars (but they hurt so maybe not nice for DS) or I have a sheet of these silicone pads that you stick over the scar- but it was a complete mare to do and I don't think it made any difference.

tryingtobemarypoppins Fri 05-Jun-09 11:19:18

sadsadsad

Sunshinemummy Fri 05-Jun-09 11:19:56

I had two stitches. It really really hurt! I also had two black eyes for while after. Teach me to swim underwater!

Thandeka Fri 05-Jun-09 11:37:17

but scars are great- I speak as someone covered in them! I like how each tells a story- I am a teacher and it does amuse me to tell kids ridiculous untruths about my scars and how i got them and see how gullible they are- don't worry I always fess up and i think its good they see a role model not bothered about scars. Oh and your DS's scar wont stay red for ever- eventually it will go pale- steroid injections are the best way but probably when he is older- (is fine no urgency in it- I had my steroid injections a year or two after my surgery.)

Lotster Fri 05-Jun-09 11:37:20

Hey there,

if Bio-Oil's not doing the trick I can really recommend Rio Rosa

It's Mexican rosehip oil, really rich in fats and fab for scars. Used it on my nose for a scar left after diving in to a pool's shallow end (owwww) - and also on my foot where I had 8 stitches. The scars were livid and obvious, but barely noticable now. In fact the one on my nose disappeared.

Am now using it on my CS scar which was pink and purple and it's working wonders again. My daighter is 14 weeks today and sections of it are white already. Remember to rub it in for a few minutes, using firm small circles, if your son will sit still! Think I'd have no chance with mine... wink

Thandeka Fri 05-Jun-09 11:38:38

The main thing with the oils is the massage- helps break down the collagen I think.

tryingtobemarypoppins Fri 05-Jun-09 18:54:42

Thank you so much for the links and advice I really appriciate your practical help and advice! I have order the oil Lotster - thank you and will get massaging Thandeka

Thanks everyone!

TinyPawz Fri 05-Jun-09 23:06:23

MP ask your GP!!!! That is what she/he is there for.

tryingtobemarypoppins Sat 06-Jun-09 11:07:07

Any GP's out there??? What would you be likely to say??

bigstripeytiger Sat 06-Jun-09 11:17:47

You can buy the silicon sheets without a prescription.

eg

link

brightongirldownunder Sun 07-Jun-09 05:24:56

It may take a while if its a keyloid scar. I've got a really nasty one all the way along my left arm and was told it would always be raised and red. However, I've massaged bio oil into it since the accident and its much flatter and white now - it was a horrific scar to begin with and i can now go out and forget i have it. 3 months isn't long, don't give up - at that age they heal so easily. Try arnica cream too if the skin is no longer broken, as it will reduce any swelling/bruising.

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 07-Jun-09 10:36:24

Thanks brightongirldownunder (Brighton is fab BTW, just down the road from us!. I am already notiecd a difference in two days since starting this thread, massaging more firmly as your MNers advised. The bump underneath feels flatter. Just want the redness to go! He itches it alot bless him!

brightongirldownunder Sun 07-Jun-09 10:58:26

Wish I was still in Brighton! I'm in Sydney now.
Keep going with the massaging - the itchyness is a good sign I found - means its healing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now