Talk

Advanced search

for wanting to switch my phone off...

(12 Posts)
AliGrylls Fri 05-Jun-09 04:56:44

I am now in my 41st week of pregnancy (40 +3).

I know my friends and family are well intentioned but I am getting fed up already of people calling me asking "has anything happened yet". Every day I am getting at least 6 phonecalls. Would I be unreasonable for switching my phone off until after birth?

My DH is also driving me a bit nuts because he keeps on telling everyone about my cervical sweep - including his mother who has taken to asking if I have had a good hoovering (she knows it is something to do with cleaning), and his male friends who just find it highly amusing.

I am finding it all a bit much. I need to sleep and am slowly being sent mad by pregnancy due to sleep deprivation due to constant aches and pains (if anyone has any ideas at all for sleeping I would be most grateful).

worzelgummidge Fri 05-Jun-09 05:41:18

YANBU Turn it off, rest up, and ask your DH to be a tad more discreet. He is obviously excited, but would be nice for him to consider how you are feeling too.

Go run a bath, take the home phone off the hook and relax.

supagirl Fri 05-Jun-09 09:53:46

yanbu - tell them dh will let hem know when the baby arrives and turn the phone off!

You are heavily pg and imho that gives you the right to do what the hell you like (within reason ;O) )!

Def tell OH to be more discreet as well - i remember dp telling his colleagues I was having trouble with breastfeeding after dd was born and that they all sent their regards :-O To say I was annoyed was an understatement - I think sometimes men just don't really think and need it spelling out that some things are best kept private.

Hugs!

SG

GypsyMoth Fri 05-Jun-09 10:02:04

Just turn it off!! I did.

notsoteenagemum Fri 05-Jun-09 10:04:26

Turn it off, after ds was 8 days overdue I vowed I would lie about any future due date to avoid the endless "anything happened" calls and texts.

Can't help with the sleeping I don't think I had a proper sleep for the last month or so(or any night since becoming a parent tbh)
I spent my overdue days bouncing round the house on dd's space hopper and asking dh to twiddle my nipplesgrin

AliGrylls Fri 05-Jun-09 18:18:43

thank you. I spent the whole morning sleeping - feeling so much better now.

I feel like I can face the world a little more now.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 05-Jun-09 18:37:22

leave a message on your ansa machine saying you will tell everyone when you have given birth and turn off

Kbear Fri 05-Jun-09 18:48:11

Oh you're NOT still there are you? When are you going to have this baby?

<<runs>>

grin

AliGrylls Sat 06-Jun-09 11:11:39

I am back. Baby still not come. I went for a long stroll around shopping centre yesterday, this evening am going out for curry and tomorrow I might eat a whole pineapple. I would try sex but unfortunately I can't face the thought of it at the moment.

Induction day is next Friday but I don't know why - I have something against being induced. I think just about everyone I know who has seems to have had a rough labour and I soooo want to have a water birth.

bluejeans Sat 06-Jun-09 11:17:32

I've been there! DD was 6 days late and I received several phonecalls over that weekend from friends who thought I'd had her and hadn't told them! Assumed that as I wasn't answering phone I was at the hospital because pregnent women aren't allowed to pop to the shops, etc etc! A couple of friends did phone for a proper chat though, which was nice and a good distraction, which would make me think don't turn off your phone

qwertpoiuy Sat 06-Jun-09 11:27:53

Back in 1982, my mother went 3 weeks overdue with my youngest brother - and she had to be induced. He's quite a lazy guy (but so adorable and would do anything for anybody!), now and again we say to him "You were too lazy to be born!"

I hope you won't have to be induced.

Anyway back to the conversation, YANBU - you have a right to do what you want and to rest all you want without being interrupted beacause you'll be busy once babs arrives!

Best of luck with the birth, and I hope all goes well.

AliGrylls Sat 06-Jun-09 12:22:40

Thank you qwerty.

You are all so nice on here. I am feeling much more energetic today so my phone is back on. Wondering if energy could be sign of impending labour. Or it could be that I slept better last night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now