Talk

Advanced search

To expect people to uphold the law when it comes to fireworks in the middle of June?

(17 Posts)
SameBoatAsYou Thu 04-Jun-09 22:05:50

cos I thought that fireworks were illegal except on certain dates (i.e. around guy fawkes and new year).

They are biggies too....

littlejacksmum Thu 04-Jun-09 22:06:50

eh? wtf? I think fireworks should be limited to one public display tbh

paisleyleaf Thu 04-Jun-09 22:07:42

I don't think they can be illegal
we have 1812 stuff beach parties and party/wedding stuff going on all through summer.
I think people would like there to be tighter regulations though
I know I would

thisisyesterday Thu 04-Jun-09 22:08:17

they aren't illegal. but there are limits as to how late they can be used

SameBoatAsYou Thu 04-Jun-09 22:08:31

It might be coming from the local polling station. We can't tell.

Bit bizarre if it is. It is gone 10 and the kids are in bed.

psychomum5 Thu 04-Jun-09 22:09:06

we have a firework display go off every thursday in poole, and every friday in bournemouth, all thru the summer season.....for the 'summer fun' thing they doo seeing both are tourist towns.

tis nice in one way, but I am not living right by so I can say that.

they don;t go off until dark either, so they are late fireworks!

SameBoatAsYou Thu 04-Jun-09 22:11:09

You are right. Just checked the law.

Looks like they are legal until 11pm.

Ho hum

Overmydeadbody Thu 04-Jun-09 22:11:58

We have fireworks going off all throughout may/jume for the may balls at the university, so it's definately not illegal lol

Hulababy Thu 04-Jun-09 22:12:49

The law in UK:

It is an offence to let fireworks off during night hours (11pm to 7am), except on Bonfire Night (midnight), Diwali, New Year, and Chinese New Year (1am).

Overmydeadbody Thu 04-Jun-09 22:13:28

So YAdefinatelyBU grin

Hulababy Thu 04-Jun-09 22:15:09

A bit more:

The Fireworks Regulations 2004 prohibit anyone under 18 from possessing fireworks, and anyone except professionals from possessing display fireworks in a public place. These regulations also prohibit the use of fireworks at night (11pm - 7am) in England and Wales, with extensions to the curfew for the following festivals:

Until 01:00 on the night of the Chinese New Year
Until 01:00 on the night of Diwali
Until 01:00 on the night of New Years Eve
Until Midnight on 5 November
These regulations are enforced by the police. There is a penalty of up to £5,000 or 6 months in prison for breach of curfew. The supply, purchase or possession of excessively loud fireworks over 120 decibels are also prohibited.

notsoteenagemum Thu 04-Jun-09 22:16:44

YABU I love fireworks and it's before 11.

Noonki Thu 04-Jun-09 22:25:08

YANBU I HATE fireworks unless they are in a public display (then I just LOVE them)

love hate relationship!

notsoteenagemum Thu 04-Jun-09 22:28:26

But in a public display you don't have the added thrill of.................. the dud, and how to deal with it.

MammyT Thu 04-Jun-09 22:35:14

You should live around here in Autumn/Winter..

Diwali, Eid, Halloween, Guy Fawkes, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year.. Then it quietens down for a bit until Chinese new year in Feb wink

I remember getting very annoyed at Guy Fawkes when my (ill) baby was very small but have more perspective now.

So IMO YABU

SomeGuy Thu 04-Jun-09 22:54:52

bloody killjoys.

(although I daresay if I had a bunch of scallies causing trouble with them I would feel differently.)

lou031205 Thu 04-Jun-09 23:22:50

Should be limited to 5th November & the Saturday preceeding/following that date, with public displays & by licence only, IMO. Dangerous, hate them being used by individuals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now