Talk

Advanced search

not to cancel ill DDs birthday party?

(9 Posts)
plimple Wed 03-Jun-09 21:36:21

Was I awful to continue with my DDs 2nd birthday party when she was out of sorts and a bit clingy? I'd made it a farmyard theme, made painted cut out animals to decorate the garden (she naked painted them in the week), A big green field cake with sheep on and cheese tractor biscuits and pig shaped bread rolls.
She was lively for the first few presents, but had not been eating or sleeping well for a few days so didn't play with any of the other kids. They seemed to have fun searching for toy animals in the shrubs, but her clinginess and lack of sleep meant I was knackered too so forgot the cake altogether.
I think everyone had a nice time and my logic was that my DD would have had a rough day anyway and I don't think her illness was something you catch, just combination of little food and sleep. I had family visiting so felt I couldn't cancel and was hoping she'd perk up.
I don't think I was being unreasonable, but I get the feeling from a few friends that I was silly to even bother with a party for a 2 year old. Was I silly/unreasonable?
She's been fine since family left and she's been sleeping through again in her own bed.

Geocentric Wed 03-Jun-09 21:39:01

Bday parties are so difficult to re-schedule... I don't think you were awful, probaby brightened her day a bit.

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 03-Jun-09 21:39:08

Message withdrawn

JammyQueenOfTheSewers Wed 03-Jun-09 21:48:38

I think you were right. If she was just feeling a bit poorly I doubt the party would have ruined her day for her, and it would have been a shame to spoil the other children's fun and waste your efforts. And why not have a party for a 2yo! I've just been inviting some of her friends round for DD's 2nd birthday next week

plimple Wed 03-Jun-09 22:10:39

Thanks Geo and Jammy. Does that mean you think parties for 2 year olds are silly shineon? My DD was talking about her party all last week and still is and is not a clingy child at all, she knew all the other children - about 10 with Mums mainly and I'd set the garden up so there were things for all the kids to potter with. I feel like that's what a couple of my friends think: "par for the course" in other words why did I even bother.
You're right though, it has been and gone so I shan't fret too much and I'll ask my friends in person if they think I was silly.

plimple Wed 03-Jun-09 22:11:36

Thanks Geo and Jammy. Does that mean you think parties for 2 year olds are silly shineon? My DD was talking about her party all last week and still is and is not a clingy child at all, she knew all the other children - about 10 with Mums mainly and I'd set the garden up so there were things for all the kids to potter with. I feel like that's what a couple of my friends think: "par for the course" in other words why did I even bother.
You're right though, it has been and gone so I shan't fret too much and I'll ask my friends in person if they think I was silly.

plimple Wed 03-Jun-09 22:12:06

oops!

bluejeans Wed 03-Jun-09 22:18:16

YANBU

I took par for the course as meaning 2 yos are often ill and you can't plan for it!

Good for you for making the effort - you can do it again next year and the year after - I think that kind of party is good fun, better than the kind in a soft play etc. DD has a party every year and was ill last year - I didn't cancel as too complicated - she just about rallied round for it but it as a shame!

Glad your DD is better and don't worry about what your friends think - some of mine think I'm crazy having DDs parties in our house but I love it.

slowreadingprogress Wed 03-Jun-09 22:52:04

doesn't matter what other people think - if it was something you wanted to do, then fine

Personally, I find children's parties the absolute and utter definition of all the circles of hell so I didn't give DS parties until he was at least old enough to remember them! If I was going to go through that agony, he had better remember it!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now