Advanced search

to have called the police to shut my neighbour up last night?

(24 Posts)
MichKit Wed 03-Jun-09 20:14:48

We rent the ground floor of semi-detached house. Unfortunately the way our flat is laid out, means that our bedroom is flush against the TV room of the house next door, only a really thin wall separating the two (our landlord did everything on the cheap, different story though). Anyways, as we only have the one bedroom DD sleeps with us and even on good night, is not the best of sleepers. I work full time, DH too (and he has ME, which is quite debilitating)

Anyways, the house next door is tenanted by this group of young people, one of whom plays the guitar (and not very well) Thr problem is, that he plays it VERY VERY loudly, usually screaming out the words as well, get this, usually at 3 or 4 in the morning. He works in bar locally and gets back around this time. This has been going on for the past 3 years. We have gone over on several ocasions, and told him politely that it is very distressing for all of us, including my DD who wakes up at the slightest sound, all to no avail.

Finally, I broke last night! DD has had chicken pox, and now I've got it, and have been feeling shitty. DH was away on conference, and mum was staying with me. On cue, neighbour starts playing guitar and screaming... so I called the police, who were really nice and came over to tell him that we had complained and he better quieten down.

But this morning, I was out in the patio with DD and mum and this guy leans over the back wall and directs a tirade of abuse at me, including the words, you 'unreasonable b**! Mum and I were terrified and so was DD. AIBU to report him to the police again?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 03-Jun-09 20:17:44

Definitely not unreasonable to report him for harassment. You need to get it on record in case anything else happens.

mum23monkeys Wed 03-Jun-09 20:21:08

can you move? Seriously, whoever is in the right, I would want to be right out of there.

mum23monkeys Wed 03-Jun-09 20:21:34

PS You are clearly in the right, in case that wasn't clear.

MichKit Wed 03-Jun-09 20:22:18

Well, that's what the woman at the police call centre told me. The thing is, I've never had anything to do with teh police before, and I don't want to come across as this person who alls the police every time keeping them from other things, y'know.

Feeling very miserable at the mo. DD's asleep but I feel horrendous, and look like I've been in the plagues! I don't know what I'll do if he starts screaming again tonight!

MichKit Wed 03-Jun-09 20:23:43

Well, the thing is, we live in a beautiful area, but we cannot afford to move now (have had to take a pay cut due to recession, etc). Its only this guy in the whole street who's the ass.

PM73 Wed 03-Jun-09 20:49:53

Def ring the police again,the little wanker angry
I am angry for you,how dare he speak to you like that,its not like he hadnt had enough warnings about his noise is it?
I wonder what he would make of that sort of noise in yrs to come when he has a young family?

Jux Wed 03-Jun-09 20:53:14

He's clearly the unreasonable one. He could at least play his guitar well!wink Any noise of that sort at 3 or 4am is unreasonable, in fact I would say after 11pm. To then scream obscenities at you confirms it. Give him no more chances - you asked him nicely and he's been completely uncooperative. Be as uncooperative as you like back.

womma Wed 03-Jun-09 22:17:50

Michkit - I've had a similar problem and it's bloody awful, I really do feel for you.

Am I right in thinking that the noisy neighbours are renting their place? If so, by causing this disturbance at unsociable hours, they are breaching their tenancy agreement. Is there any way that you can contact their landlord and speak to them about this?

I'd also contact your own landlord and complain about the noise, you can request that he provides some soundproofing. I know that's a joke with some landlords, but they do have a responsibility to their tenants and if your life is being made hellish he should help you out in some way.

Keep a record of everything, and if the police were helpful ask them what they would advise you do when this happens again.
You should also contact your local council's noise abatement office. They will come round and measure the noise when he's in full flow and that will support your case.

Try not to have any slanging matches if you can (so he's the only one in the wrong iyswim), but by if you record all the disturbance you may be able to get them evicted because of their anti-social behaviour - hurrah!

Good luck, so sorry that you have to put up with this xxx

HecatesTwopenceworth Wed 03-Jun-09 22:19:52

You MUST ring the police - otherwise he will feel he has intimidated you into silence.

actually, what I want to put is he'll think he's 'won', but that's an issue I have blush

You must report him again. Also complain to the landlord.

MichKit Wed 03-Jun-09 22:41:34

Well, we've tried contacting our landlord, but he's a a bit of an ass, and he definitely won't be soundproofing. What the woman at the police call centre suggested though is that I may contact Environmental Health at the council. Its just gotten so unbearable now at least for me its kinda been this thing where we have just out up with it for so long, he's gotten more and more unreasonable. Sometimes he starts playing at 11 at night and goes on till about 2...!

Neither DH and I have been confrontational. We are quiet and we don't like fighting with anyone, generally also because we live in a sorta old and established community, and despite having lived here for three years, we do sometimes feel a bit different and isolated (we are the only mixed race 'foriegn' couple in the neighbourhood). Its only recently after having had DD that I have felt comfortable making local friends and getting more involved in the community.

Womma, yes the neighbour is renting as well. I think it may be a house share system. I am going to try and find out who thier landlord is and complain as well. We rent through estate agents, and I think its time I gave them a call too. I just can't bear this anymore!!!

HecatesTwopenceworth Wed 03-Jun-09 22:53:08

yes, I meant their landlord, not yours - it's quite often a condition of a tenancy that you are not allowed to be a nuisance.

barnsleybelle Wed 03-Jun-09 23:10:49

I can't believe you have stuck this for 3 yrs. You are clearly more tolerant than i am. I would do everything i could to either get rid of him or move myself.

Bless you for your patience.

womma Thu 04-Jun-09 09:37:08

I think you've been very reasonable indeed, and I can totally understand how hard it is, especially with your DD subjected to it as well, no wonder the poor lamb doesn't sleep too well!

The important thing to remember is that you do have rights and there are things that can be done to stop this silly boy and his noise. He is also harrassing you by shouting at you, so make a note of all of this and if you can get witnesses as well, contact the police.

It is also worth contacting the local Citizen's Rights Bureau to ask for advice, I'm sure they'd be helpful, and it really makes you feel better when you know that systems are in place to sort this kind of problem out.

When I had a problem with a flat I rented, I contacted my local council and discovered that there was a local drop-in session held weekly where you could speak to a member of the council. The councillor I saw gave me some very good advice about how to deal with my problem, so it's worth seeing if you can speak to someone from your local authority. He told me my rights and what my landlord should be doing legally, so it may be a case that you have to tell your landlord what he is legally obliged to do to help you. (If you think about it, he's had three full years of rent from you, I'm sure you've been good tenants, and if he doesnt help you he risks losing you.)

I know it's all extra stuff to do on top of your job and looking after DD, but the alternative is moving or putting up with it.

I really hope this helps in some way, just keep thinking that it can and will get better.

ThePhantomPlopper Thu 04-Jun-09 09:42:42

Keep a log of all disturbances and the abuse, send a copy to enviromental health, your landlord, their landlord if you can find out who it is and police.

Legally something has to be done by someone.

Good luck.

smallchange Thu 04-Jun-09 09:45:43

You poor thing. We've had some noise problems with our downstairs neighbour and I know how soul destroying it feels when things start up yet again in the middle of the night.

Definitely try the Evironmental Health/Council Noise Team option. We didn't get any further than getting the number (luckily downstairs is going through a lull at the moment) but will definitely be calling next time there's an "incident".

A friend called them out to her neighbours and she said they were brilliant. There's a team that will come out up until 4am, listen to the noise and then go round and serve notice on the neighbours. I think they have powers to confiscate equipment & fine if there's no improvement. Whatever they said to friend's neighbour anyway she had no more trouble and she lives in a scary area!

I hope you get it sorted. Your neighbour sounds like an absolute dick.

womma Thu 04-Jun-09 09:53:07

Yes, the council noise people can be wonderful, and often are very sympathetic to the people having trouble. I think once they've seen you in your dressing gown, hair sticking up everywhere, and almost in tears AGAIN at 3am they understand your pain.
Michkit, I had a look at your profile, your DD is gorgeous!!

wasabipeas Thu 04-Jun-09 12:35:06

Have a look on the website for your local council - they should have a section on noise pollution and they should provide an out of ours contact number for you to phone and report noise
firstly, keep a log of all of the disturbances. Time, date, tv/music/party, how long it went on for

If it happens after 10pm (11pm on weekends) call the number. The council should send someone over within an hour to check it out
The first time the council noise control people come, they will give a warning, the second time they'll get a written notice
If they are still noisy, the council/courts have the powers to sieze their guitars/hi fi etc

You MUST also try and contact their landlord. If you don't have any luck, you can download the details of who owns the house from the Land registry website

MichKit Thu 04-Jun-09 12:44:49

Thanks Womma. She know sit too, and uses it well

I am glad people on here don't think I am being unreasonable. I was brought up to believe that the police should only be called for real emergencies etc, but the lady at thier call centre was so nice... restored my faith in authority

I've called Environmental Health today, and they've given me a number to call if he starts playing tonight. I can hear him on the Playstation now, but DH and I have agreed that we are going to give him a cut of point of 11pm every night from now on. If he starts playing after that, we call the council.

I mean, I don't see why we should have to put up with this anymore. And that idiot ruined our anniversary dinner too (he was the temporary bartender at the restaurant we went to, and we sat there awkward all night long )

MichKit Thu 04-Jun-09 14:14:40

Just called Env Health... and realised I am spending waaaay too much time on Mumsnet coz I told them I had a 18 month old 'DD', literally 'DD' not daughter Bloke at the other end sounded a bit confused, till I twigged it

wotulookinat Thu 04-Jun-09 14:19:52

I'm glad you called the environmental health. If I were you I would call the police again and report his threatening behaviour. If he has a go again, you can calming tell him that you have already reported his threatening behaviour and will continue to do so.

oliverboliverbutt Thu 04-Jun-09 14:36:17

Just a suggestion, but would it be possible to line the adjoining wall with book cases and fill it up with books? It's a great noise insulator.

Hope you get some rest from this wanker soon.

womma Thu 04-Jun-09 16:30:55

Good for you Michkit! Keep us posted won't you?

cheshirekitty Thu 04-Jun-09 17:10:41

Michkit, YANBU. You have put up with this for 3 years. You must be a saint.

Hope env health can sort everything out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now