Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed with my neighbours dog

(22 Posts)
halia Wed 03-Jun-09 13:52:47

had several dog related incidents recently but the ongoing one that is pissing me off is our neighbours pooch.
When you come out of our yard you go down a side alley, the houses on the opposite side have very small yars (4 ft strips) and low fences or walls. In the end one that we have to go past to get out onto the road is a dog. Its a pretty big dog - looks like some kind of boxer? it is out there very day for long periods of time - the back door is normally open and obviuolsy the owners want the dog to get fresh air and not be cooped up in the house.

We've been here 2 months now and EVERY SINGLE TIME we walk past that dog it goes mad, barks, growls, jumps up at the wall with paws scrabbling etc. It's scaring DS (4) half to death - he used to like dogs but he runs away now. And it gets worse if DS or me are out on bikes - the dog tried to make a leap over the wall last time, thankfully didn't make it and fell back into the rubbish bins.

Its obviuosly trying to get to us - this is in no way friendly barking! as the wall is only 3 ft high I am getting increasingly concerned that one day it will figure out a way to get over the wall.

I don't want to cause a fuss with neighbours but its horrible walking past that every day.

melmog Wed 03-Jun-09 13:57:26

If you think there is a chance this dog could get out, I would ring the dog warden to ask for advice. Failing that, a polite, anonymous letter through the door might help? Sometimes people aren't aware of the problems their dogs cause until they're told.

SouthMum Wed 03-Jun-09 14:03:27

Tough call, some dogs do bark like they want to tear you apart limb from limb but get infront of them and they are kittens. The dog probably just sees / hears something near its home and kicks off.

Could you have a word with them? Along the lines of "hiya recently moved in blah blah, just out of curiosity can your dog jump over that wall just so I know to keep my suit or armour on" make a joke kind of thing out of it and see what they say. Failing that can you go out of your front door?

I reckon its unlikely the dog can make it over the wall otherwise it would have got out before now (unless its still growing!)

littlepollyflinders Wed 03-Jun-09 14:06:07

No no! Please do not send and anonymous letter!
It's cowardly and anti social.
When my dog was causing a problem barking (well howling actually) at unreasonable hours I received an anonymous letter and was furious angry.

Problem resolved itself (by me not letting him out in garden v late at night) but for the rest of the time I lived there I viewed all neighbours with suspicion and never settled.

Approach them in person and let them know. I'm sure they'd want to know if their dog was causing a problem.

halia Wed 03-Jun-09 14:06:33

"The dog probably just sees / hears something near its home and kicks off."

well then wouldn't it be a good idea for the owners to train it? Their yard backs onto the public footpath and the dog barks and lunges whenever anyone goes past. I've seen people crossing over to avoid it and it STILL barks even if they are on the opposite side of the (narrow) road.

Fine if it barks/growls when someone enters the Yard but for it to react like this when people are simply walking/ biking/ driving down a public road is annoying to put it mildly.

SouthMum Wed 03-Jun-09 14:16:48

It would be a good idea for them to train it, but if they haven't done so by now they probably won't unfortunately. Besides some dogs are well trained but are still very protective of their property.

I agree it is annoying when it happens but there isn't much that can be done.

Five-O won't be interested unless it hurts someone or is barking past the time that noise should be kept down (what is it 10pm or something??) and I suspect the same will be for the dog warden. If people have complained before that might be a different matter...

In the meantime if it was me if there is another way of getting out of your house without going past the dog I would use that just to be on the safe side...

Kimi Wed 03-Jun-09 14:21:27

Report it to the council

KingCanuteIAm Wed 03-Jun-09 14:26:32

Call the dog warden, say you would rather not leave a name but that you use the footpath daily and you are worried that the dog is going to get over the wall. If it is a public path then it could be anyone who has vomplained about it, there is no reason that your neighbour needs to know it was you!

Bonneville Wed 03-Jun-09 14:43:11

Surely the owners cannot possibly be unaware that their dog is acting like this?

KingCanuteIAm Wed 03-Jun-09 14:47:19

I doubt it but they are probably the kind of owners who would stand there watching him going nuts and say something helpful like "Ach don't be silly he's soft as butter him" hmm

melmog Wed 03-Jun-09 16:36:26

Littlepollyflinders. Sorry if you were upset when you recieved an anon letter, but it is something that can work. Some people would not feel comfortable approaching the owner. You never know what reaction you will get and if it is a negative one then you still have the existing problem, plus irate neighbours, plus you are then less likely to take it further as they will know it is you. We don't live in a perfect world and there are people out there who don't take kindly to people knocking on their to door to complain about something, however nicely it is done.

Also, surely it is anti social to let your dog howl in the garden in the early hours too?

paisleyleaf Wed 03-Jun-09 16:43:27

Sorry, no advice. Watching as we had similar a few years ago, with a neighbour who had an english bull mastiff. It used to go bananas at us walking by, and the fence would be bending. Cor me and DH used to be terrified....this thing was like a lion!
We never did do anything, the dog attacked it's owner and had to be shot in the end......turned out he really was going bananas.
I do think you have to do something here though....especially as you're passing with DC.
Council/dog warden as suggested sound like a good starting point.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 03-Jun-09 16:48:12

Sounds like my neighbours. They have 2 alsations, a 8 ft garden and 5 ft fences. All they do is bark whenever we leave our house/ds goes out to play. My other neighbour's cat fell in the garden once and was attacked by one of them. It's cruel to have dogs cooped up like this.

halia Wed 03-Jun-09 20:03:51

"I doubt it but they are probably the kind of owners who would stand there watching him going nuts and say something helpful like "Ach don't be silly he's soft as butter him" "

oh yes - they frequently are right by the window with the door wide open at the time and despite DS screaming, hiding behind me and saying bad doggy eat me, scary doggy etc they never bother to step out and calm the dog down.

lucyellensmumisgreat Wed 03-Jun-09 20:56:28

We used to have a rotweiller who was as soft as butter, loved children and wouldnt hurt a fly. We live on the end of a terrace with an alley that everyone likes to use as a short cut - Dog would go BALLISTIC, if anyone walked past - like a snarling monster so he was - now, if anyone had stopped and stroked him he would have licked them to death. But of course people didnt know this. to be on the safe side we built up the fence so he couldnt jump it, or poke his head through. He would still be scary mad and mental if anyone walked past. The local kids would dare each other to run down the alley - the brave ones would poke their hands through and he loved them. He used to go mad whenever anyone knocked on the door - til i opened it. He was all noise and bluster.

This dog is probably the same - its very common for dogs to guard their territory like this, and often it is just a warning and no intention to bite. Just trying to reassure you, but of course, this dog might be the one that really means it and you can't tell that.

If i were you, i would knock on your neighbours door and ask if the dogs ok, If someone had done that with my dog, i wouldh ave invited them in to meet him. If your neighbour is reasonable they should do the same - that way you can be sure the dog isnt trying to eat you and when you walk past you can stop and pet him. That way your little boy wont be scared.

If your neighbour is unreasonable, then environmental health i guess would be th people to approach?

sharron1980 Wed 15-Jul-09 13:28:52

Hi, ive crossed this site due to trying to find advice about recieving anon letters. I have recieved 2 about my dog and have found them both distressing. It has made me want to move house, I also feel like some one is watching my house and generally feel very uncomfertable in my own home. So before sending anon letters just think of the true conequences of your actions. You may feel that you are doing your bit for animal kind, however the true consequences of these letters are far greater than you cowardly trying to get your point across. I would much prefere some one to come and say if they had a problem with my dog. Incidently my dog is a 9month old boxer and loves nothing more than watching the world go by either on the top of the stairs outside or on my balcony. He hardly ever barks and if he does he gets correted. I would much rather leave my dog outside than in the house, that is my choice. As he has his own room under my house complete with carpet, heater, radio,bed and water. This gets left open for him if I do have to go out. How ever someone has taken exception to my dog being left outside while I am out and is sending me anon letters. After the second I phoned the police and if I receive anymore they are sending it to forensics. I feel trapped and scared for my dog, anon letters are a cowards way out.

RenagadeMum Wed 15-Jul-09 13:34:53

Say something or do something immediately. Most dogs are OK, but really, you have the right to walk and not feel scared.
If you don't think you can speak to them directly perhaps a call to the council will be able to get them to assess the situation for safety.

Dogs are lovely, but all this 'they're just soppy really' stuff is not on. Especially when it is scaring children

proverbial Wed 15-Jul-09 17:50:37

"No no! Please do not send and anonymous letter!
It's cowardly and anti social.
When my dog was causing a problem barking (well howling actually) at unreasonable hours I received an anonymous letter and was furious"

Presumably your neighbours were also furious at the noise your dog was making, which is pretty anti-social too!

I don't agree with the anon letter approach, but I can see why someone would do it. You are causing a nuisance with your dog, you shouldn't need a letter, anon or otherwise, to do something about it before your piss off your neighbours enough to resort to letters. Maybe they sent it anon because they were scared that someone with a big scary dog who clearly had little concern for others might retaliate if it wasn't anon.

I really have little sympathy for dog owners who cause a nuisance and get upset when challenged.

LilRedWG Wed 15-Jul-09 17:55:25

Considering that the owners have often viewed your son's distress and done nothing, I would consider either saying something next time the dog kicks off and they are there (depends on the people though) or contacting the RSPCA and asking for advice.

AnnieLobeseder Wed 15-Jul-09 17:55:33

I'd speak to them directly to start with. I've had the dog warden round twice about my idiot dog who barks and jumps up at the fence when people walk past (and no amount of training, diversionary tactics or otherwise will stop her angry), and it's really horrible. As others have said, it makes you look suspiciously at your neighbours and it's not a nice feeling. I would even have preferred an anon letter!

If they don't look even slightly sorry and nothing changes, then the council would be your next step.

chegirl Wed 15-Jul-09 18:12:14

I have a very small lovely friendly dog. If he was barking like a loon and looking like he could jump over a fence I would do something about it.

Because I dont want children to be frightened everytime they walk into their house. Its not nice and will put them off dogs for life!

If the owners are not doing anything about it then you dont really have a choice but to contact the dog warden/council/housing assoc.

The dog is only doing his job really, guarding the house, but he can do that behind a bigger fence. He would still bark and go mad but at least you wouldnt have to worry about him getting out and you could explain to your DC that he is doing his job but cant get to you to hurt you.

Tamarto Wed 15-Jul-09 18:17:22

I'd hope after a month and a half she's done something about it or got over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now