Talk

Advanced search

To think the new lady shouldn't be made to make brews when she doesn't drink them?

(43 Posts)
LolaTheShowgirl Wed 03-Jun-09 12:39:33

We have a new lady in our office who never drinks anything hot. Everyone else in the office does, and whenever they're making a brew, they ask everyone else if they want one. Now because new lady doesn't drink anything other than cold juice/water, she never offers to make anyone a brew which I think is totally justified, but the others are rolling their eyes a lot at this and saying that she isn't pulling her weight where making brews is concered. I mean WTF!!! I could seriously hurt these bitches and i'm not even violent!

HumphreyCobbler Wed 03-Jun-09 12:42:07

Really? Have they nothing better to do? YANBU, what irritating people to work with.

nancy75 Wed 03-Jun-09 12:44:18

i am one of those people that doesn't drink tea /coffee or other hot drinks. i would happily make hot drinks for people but dont anymore because, i have been told my tea making ability if beyond dire!

PuppyMonkey Wed 03-Jun-09 12:44:30

Oh no, she definitely doesn't have to do it if she doesn't have hot drinks. Unless she fancies a quick five mins break - but up to her.

However, we had someone who said she "didn't drink hot drinks" so thought this rule should apply to her. Then when we were making a round of drinks, she'd often pipe up: "Can I just have a camomile tea?" or something. Which as far as I'm concernd is a hot drink. Yet, she still never took her turn doing the teas. It made me very cross. Indeed. I can tell you. grin

Hulababy Wed 03-Jun-09 12:44:36

YANBU - they are being petty.

Does the lady have to get up to go somewhere to get herjuice/cold drink? I suppose if she was heading that way she could offer, but it is hardly a major issue surely.

Do they offer to get her a cold drink when they get up to make hot ones?

cordonbleugh Wed 03-Jun-09 12:45:14

YANBU I don't drink tea or coffee myself, and although I'm never in that kind of situation, I wouldn't make a brew for everyone else!!

For a start, I haven't got a clue how to make tea or coffee!! blush

Do they offer to get her a glass of juice or water?!

LolaTheShowgirl Wed 03-Jun-09 12:45:22

They're a bunch of bitches Humphrey. They're really petty. Out of them all, there is only one genuinly lovely one and all the others take the piss out of her because she is scatty and makes little, but very easily rectifiable mistakes.

nancy75 Wed 03-Jun-09 12:47:01

cordonbleugh, glad its not just me, on the odd occassion i make tea or coffee it never comes out the right colour blush

nickytwotimes Wed 03-Jun-09 12:47:18

Yanbu at all.
They sound horrid.

onepieceofcremeegg Wed 03-Jun-09 12:47:31

YANBU.

I rarely drink hot drinks at work, and people know that. Sometimes if I am going to the water cooler I offer to make a drink or (more likely) fetch water for others.

On the very odd occasion I will make teas etc but only as a favour, it is not expected. I might do it if colleagues were exceptionally busy or we had had an incident or similar (I work in mental health so not a traditional office environment)

LolaTheShowgirl Wed 03-Jun-09 12:47:42

Their kettle is in the office. She has to go to the other side of the building for her juice and water. No one ever offers to get her water when they're filling up the kettle though.

Sassybeast Wed 03-Jun-09 12:48:00

YANBU - it was a bit of a running joke in my previous job because as a non hot drink drinker, I always forgot to offer so the girls would start a 'Cough cough Oh I'd love a cuppa - whose turn is it...' I didn't mind cos it was just part of the banter and it was an excuse to raid the biscuits as well.

nickytwotimes Wed 03-Jun-09 12:48:13

...and non-hot drink drinkers should NEVER make the tea/coffee as it is invariably revolting. wink grin

whoisasking Wed 03-Jun-09 12:50:10

I have made a rod for my own back by being <clears throat> THE BEST TEA MAKER IN THE OFFICE.

Grrrr. I have to make the tea all the time.

<spits in tea>

PuppyMonkey Wed 03-Jun-09 12:54:14

Where I work now, we're not allowed to make tea in the office. Health and Safety. We have to go down to the canteen, buy a cuppa and then bring it back to our dresk. Which is so much safer, obviously. hmm

2shoes Wed 03-Jun-09 12:54:56

yanbu
I don't drink hot drinks during the day, so wouln't expect to have to make other people drinks at work

slushy06 Wed 03-Jun-09 13:01:06

YANBU I hate tea coffee hot choc and anything else that is drunk hot. However I would make them tea and repeatedly offer. Then they would have something to moan about having to drink my cats pee tea.

andirobo Wed 03-Jun-09 13:05:02

I am a water drinker, and I dont make a round for the hot drinkers. It is not expected of me and I am in an office full of men!

PuppyMonkey Wed 03-Jun-09 15:26:14

I would just like to add as an aside that I think people who don't drink tea or coffee are a bit weeeeeeeird! grin You don't know the joys you're missing out on.

jumpingbeans Wed 03-Jun-09 15:29:49

You are right, a non hot drinker should not allowed near a kettle, anything they make just tastes like rats piss, except hot chocolate -strange but true

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 03-Jun-09 15:41:13

You can tell A LOT about a person wrt their attitude towards getting/making drinks.

We had drinks machines at work so getting drinks was dead easy and I would go for about 10 people a couple of times a day. However there are always people who accept the offer of a drink when someone else is going, but they never reciprocate. VERY telling of a person's personality imo grin

Jux Wed 03-Jun-09 15:44:51

I shared an office with a non-hot-drinker years and years ago. She did once offer to make tea and of course we all jumped at the offer. The tea was the colour of tomato soup - absolutely undrinkable grin

Ripeberry Wed 03-Jun-09 16:03:13

I used to be the one in the office who never went to the tea/coffee machine as i did not like hot drinks as i was in a call center and it always got cold before i could drink it!
One afternoon, all the managers went to a meeting and the office witches decided to verbally abuse me about it! angry
Hate office politics.

Morloth Wed 03-Jun-09 16:07:42

I was this person!

I do drink tea and coffee, but have never ever worked in an office before where you make anyone else cuppas. It is a very strange English custom, people must have thought I was dreadfully rude.

PuppyMonkey Wed 03-Jun-09 16:19:36

Morloth, I bet you were slagged off til the cows came home behind your back! grin

It is VERY important for office politics this sort of thing. Like I said, I work in a big open plan office now and we have to get our teas from canteen. Now I have to deal with the "tea cliques" that form. Certain people buying tea for certain staff, but not others. After four years of getting all my own cuppas, I am finally in a tea clique of my own. Four of us take it in turns to go. I am so proud. grin

And you thought only MN was a minefield!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now