Talk

Advanced search

To not want to lose weight for someone else's wedding?

(59 Posts)
shootfromthehip Wed 03-Jun-09 10:04:21

My brother is getting married next month and he is very shallow about appearances. He is a gym freak and is unarguably in very good physical same. Added to this he has put his bride-to-be on a crazy fitness/ diet regime which is fine if she is daft enough to do it (she is a beautiful girl but is carrying a little bit of extra weight).

2 weeks ago he told me that I still had 6 weeks 'til his wedding, plenty of time to go on a diet shock.

Now I am 5ft 10, 11 stone 4lbs (the weight I was the day I got married 9 yrs ago) and a size 12 on the bottom 14/16 on top (I have big boobs). I AM NOT fat. I put on 5 1/2 stone (in total) during my first pregnancy anf then 3 1/2 stone in my second pregnancy and although it has taken 5 yrs, I have lost all the weight. I repeat, I am not fat but a little saggy and I do have a little tummy (which no one will see under my very flattering dress).

So, AIBU in not wanting to lose any weight or should I be trying to get in to better shape (which no amount of sit-ups seem to manage wink) for his wedding?

Sorry but this has bugged me since he said it and the more I think about it, the more I waver in my outraged conviction that I don't need to lose weight.

AIBU?

DrunkenDaisy Wed 03-Jun-09 10:07:10

No, your brother's a cock.

bigchris Wed 03-Jun-09 10:08:04

bloody hell, he sounds a charmer hmm
I'd ignore him completely and delibraretly wear a hideously bright orange huge hat to ruin all his photos grin

TheProfiteroleThief Wed 03-Jun-09 10:08:41

How rude.
I think your weight (and anyone else's) is nothing to do with your brother.

And you sound pretty skinny to me at that height

flamingobingo Wed 03-Jun-09 10:09:15

YANBU, your brother is a rude arse. Tell him to feck off. In fact, I suggest wearing a fat suit so you look even bigger just to piss him off grin

echt Wed 03-Jun-09 10:09:58

How fecking rude. Have a pie. He may not have meant it seriously; you know, the way people say you're looking shite when not invited to do so. Ignore the twunt. If he follows up, then bite his perfectly contoured buttocks.

Stayingsunnygirl Wed 03-Jun-09 10:10:38

Flamingobingo - you took the words right out of my mouth!!

CurryMaid Wed 03-Jun-09 10:12:05

That is so rude.

My Mum tried to make my Dad lose weight for my wedding which I thought was hmm hmm

Actually, I was surprised by the number of people who told me they were going to lose weight for my wedding - seemed like a really odd thing to do, it's not like I went on a diet first!

LaurieFairyCake Wed 03-Jun-09 10:12:13

He's a twat.

You sound foxy and attractive.

CurryMaid Wed 03-Jun-09 10:12:39

Lol at 'have a pie'.

WoTmania Wed 03-Jun-09 10:13:17

YANBU

In fact you now have around 4 weeks to eat nothing but cream cakes and doughnuts to put on a few stone and then see what he says grin

gagamama Wed 03-Jun-09 10:31:55

YANBU at all. Have you considered looking here for your wedding outfit? I'm quite liking the Lulu and Pat styles.

DesperateHousewifeToo Wed 03-Jun-09 10:32:17

He sounds obsessed! Can he go without exercising?

I'd be a bit worried for his future wife really.

I'd also hate him to be my personal trainer in the gym.

Stay as you are. You sound lovely and very 'happy in your skin'.

Gve him a waffle maker as a wedding present.

jumpingbeans Wed 03-Jun-09 10:36:19

You should ask, while were being personal, are you going to get all that nasal hair removed for the wedding pictures

NoTart Wed 03-Jun-09 10:39:39

OP, your weight seems pretty ideal for your height, give your bro a piece if your mind next time he brings it up. I´m afraid he has quite serious issues about body image..

TrillianAstra Wed 03-Jun-09 10:41:00

Since he's your brother you're allowed to punch him right?

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Wed 03-Jun-09 10:43:24

Well, I'm 5' 8" and 11 stone and in no way anywhere near fat. If any of my brothers even hinted at such a thing I'd show them a few of my favourite karate moves.... grin

He's a pillock, obviously. You should feel sorry for him. In fact, rather than trying to lose weight, you should be practising your pitying looks.

MaryBS Wed 03-Jun-09 10:45:19

I would tell your SIL to be that there is still time for her to change her mind!

saggyhairyarse Wed 03-Jun-09 10:55:36

I think you should swap your flattering dress for a 'fat suit'.

you Wed 03-Jun-09 11:01:06

Gah, I'm, 5ft 1o and my target post baby weight is half a stone above you shock

you Wed 03-Jun-09 11:01:39

That's 5ft10, obviously grin

nickytwotimes Wed 03-Jun-09 11:04:22

Your brother is a tit.
It is nobody's business what your weight is.

(though fwiw, you sound lovely and slim)

EyeballshasBackBoobs Wed 03-Jun-09 11:06:07

Be thankful it's not you marrying him and every time you see him, make sure you have a box of a dozen Krispy Kremes sticking out of your handbag. I know he's your brother but he's a tit in a trance. Sorry

Trikken Wed 03-Jun-09 11:06:26

I wouldnt go a diet for someone else's wedding. I didnt diet for mine, I thought "meh, this is me. This is what I look like so either like it or lump it. " plus i dont think I have the will power to diet and prefer to enjoy myself.

TrillianAstra Wed 03-Jun-09 11:10:44

FFS, your BMI is 22.7!

I'm kind of against dieting for your own wedding actually. Unless you are actually going to stay at that size. Otherwise (as some pictures I have seen) the wedding pictures don't really look like you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now