Talk

Advanced search

to think that men and women are not equal

(43 Posts)
rasputin Wed 03-Jun-09 10:00:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

echt Wed 03-Jun-09 10:03:31

I agree. If men had wombs, abortion would be a sacrament.

Muscle is always a possibility which can cow women.

mylifemykids Wed 03-Jun-09 10:03:48

I don't think my DH could shout/shove/push/hit/bully or be violent or aggressive even if he tried!

And I'd say most women could do all of the above 'if they want to'

JoPie Wed 03-Jun-09 10:05:43

Agression is often a lot more about anger than physical strength. And let me tell you if I put my mind to it and was suitably angry, I could do a lot more damage than my OH ever could, not that I ever would, obviously.

Deemented Wed 03-Jun-09 10:07:23

Men and women will never be equal until men give birth.

Then they will bow down at our feet and worship us for the goddesses we are.

islandlassie Wed 03-Jun-09 10:10:20

I don't think we are equal exactly!

In the sense of being thought of equally, yeah fair enough.

But for example men are USUALLY better designed for heavy work. Women are designed for childcare -- yes we are, i dont see these hips for carrying or boobs for feeding on any men --

NOT that some women can't do heavy work and that men can't look after the children because they can. All i am saying is that we are designed differently and i like to embrace that. Men and women COMPLEMENT each other because they are differently built.

rasputin Wed 03-Jun-09 10:14:27

DaddyJ Wed 03-Jun-09 10:18:46

we are unlikely to ever be biologically the same
but being equal say before the law is certainly achievable

I sense you are not particularly happy with a chap's behaviour, sorry to hear that.

CherryChoc Wed 03-Jun-09 10:19:17

I think "equal" is the wrong word in that sentence - men and women will never ever be exactly equal at everything (and good! Why should we be?) but we are of equal value to society/the world/each other. It's just our male-dominated society puts a higher value on the male traits such as physical strength than the female traits such as empathy.

DaddyJ Wed 03-Jun-09 10:22:26

not sure about that, CherryChoc, female traits are very useful in business, politics and corporate life

I also keep hearing that boys struggle in academia as the setup is often not suited to their 'biology'

AMumInScotland Wed 03-Jun-09 10:31:00

On average, men are larger and stronger, and therefore if it comes to a physical fight, the man is more likely to win. But if you are with a man who is putting you into that situation, or the fear of it, then the answer is to use your other abilities (which are at least the equal) to get yourself out of that situation. Most men could do what you describe, but most men have enough sense to realise that it is not in their best interests to behave like that. That's maybe not the same aas a conscience, but it does put the brakes on how most people behave.

If you're in a relationship with a man who uses his size and strtength to intimidate you, then you need to make a change.

VinegarTits Wed 03-Jun-09 10:35:03

of course we are not equal physically, thats quite obvious, like comparing a cat with a dog, doesnt mean we dont deserve to be treated as equals though

Overmydeadbody Wed 03-Jun-09 10:39:11

We are not the same, no. Most men are generally stronger than most women.

But we have equal rights in life.

Just like children are equal to adults, the elderly are equal to younger people, people with physical or mental disabilities are equal to those without them etc. regardless of our physical abilities.

So, YANBU if what you mean is that hysically we are not all the same.

Men are the weaker species though, they may be stronger pohysically but women can take a lot more pain, so in that regards we are stronger.

junglist1 Wed 03-Jun-09 10:41:06

I always tell my P that he's physically stronger, but emotionally inferior. I am a strong woman though (was happy slapped recently by a man and fought like Tyson!!)but in relationships it's different, because fear and intimidation is involved across the board.

Overmydeadbody Wed 03-Jun-09 10:41:33

And I am stronger than men who don't do much physical excersize or sport, can beat a lot of men at push ups and sit ups grin

(but they could still floor me easily in an actual fight)

junglist1 Wed 03-Jun-09 10:47:30

Overmydeadbody, go for the bollocks first, then elbow in the nose (self defense, of course!)

rasputin Wed 03-Jun-09 10:47:33

edam Wed 03-Jun-09 10:47:50

Men may on average may be 'stronger' in terms of being bigger/heavier/more physically powerful (although there are plenty of strong women and puny men).

But they are weaker in terms of life-long stamina (that's why they die earlier) and I seriously doubt many could cope with the physical and emotional stress of pregnancy and childbirth. Sadly male babies are more vulnerable than female, on average. More male children are born, but more die, so eventually you get equal numbers of boys and girls in the population.

It's just that society being unequal, we have been taught to focus on the areas where men are 'stronger' as the important ones and don't count the areas where women are 'stronger'.

BonsoirAnna Wed 03-Jun-09 10:51:37

Men are on average physically stronger than women, and can, if they wish, get the upper hand over women in physical arguments

Women are on average verbally stronger than men, and can, if they wish, get the upper hand over women in verbal arguments.

IMVHO.

BonsoirAnna Wed 03-Jun-09 10:51:52

over men

OrmIrian Wed 03-Jun-09 10:56:48

Equal is the wrong word. We are not the same, obviously, but not unequal.

We live in a society that does not generally accept that might is right. Otherwise we wouldn't care for the poor and the sick, and other peoples' children. At any moment my DH could use his superior strenght to hurt me. But I could also use my superior temper hmm to shove a knife in his ribs. Generally people don't.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 03-Jun-09 10:57:37

No, women are better

snarf

OrmIrian Wed 03-Jun-09 10:59:11

And a woman could decide to abort a man's baby, or secretly use contraception so as not to conceive, or conceive a child with another man and pass it off as her partners. Women have many physical ways to 'get one over' on men. But most people behave well.

cestlavie Wed 03-Jun-09 11:04:50

OrmIrian hits the nail on the head. Equal does not mean the same, but is rather a concept.

Men and women are (or rather should be) equal in the sense that the Declaration of Independence declares "all men are created equal". That men and women should have exactly the same rights and obligations as each other.

In the same way that clearly all men are different, mean and women are different - some men are strong, some weak, some clever, some stupid, some live until 100, some die young. That does not mean that they cannot or should not be equal however.

PremenstrualChickens Wed 03-Jun-09 11:04:52

No, we're not physically equal. Men are generally bigger and stronger. Comes in handy when you need someone to carry the shopping/get up in the loft/dig a hole or any other unpleasant task you'd rather not do grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now