Talk

Advanced search

to take light hearted annoyance at this colleague?

(13 Posts)
EyeballsintheSky Tue 02-Jun-09 15:23:19

I stress the light hearted because, as someone is bound to say, I do have better things to worry about!

My name is Eyeballs and since returning from mat leave I do a job share. My 'job share' is also called Eyeballs (yeah I know, what are the chances! )

Anyway, this colleague, who we do a fair amount of work for but is not in our office, sends us demands through our line manager which read along the lines of;

Please could you send this to the Eyeballs' and ask that an Eyeballs gets in touch with him to confirm and then an Eyeballs raise an invoice. Then could an Eyeballs book a car... blah blah, you get the gist. The an really pisses me off.

Now I know it's confusing having both with the same name but does it have to be written like that? Couldn't it be;

'Please could you forward this to both Eyeballs and ask that, between them, they contact him to confirm, then raise and invoice and book a car?'

Am I being totally picky and unreasonable?

Unicornvomit Tue 02-Jun-09 15:25:30

YANBU

you have a name that happens to be the smae as a colleague, you are still two seperate people who deserve to be treated with courtesy and respect, you are not interchangeable people.

EyeballsintheSky Tue 02-Jun-09 15:30:17

I'm getting a slight insight into what being a twin must be like, and am ashamed at the memories of playing netball with twins and shouting 'twin' at the one who had the ball. In my defence, everyone did it, but not nice

Unicornvomit Tue 02-Jun-09 15:34:46

i am a twin

the one thing that used to really irritate was if people referred to my sister as my other half.. when i got older and had a bit more attitide, i used to reply i was a whole person thank you very much !!

HTH wink

EyeballsintheSky Tue 02-Jun-09 15:40:20

Eek, I aimed that reponse well then blush Actually we used to call them the triplets because they had a very similar younger sister blush

Other half should be banned from the language, whether it refers to twins, quads, usbands or wives. It's an awful expression.

EyeballsintheSky Tue 02-Jun-09 15:40:54

husbands. I'm not really Eliza Doolittle

Unicornvomit Tue 02-Jun-09 15:41:15

grin anyhoo, YANBU. definitely.

MummyDragon Tue 02-Jun-09 16:46:28

I think it's really funny actually - well, the way you wrote your original post was funny anyway Eyeballs

But I can see how it would grate after a while smile

lizziemun Tue 02-Jun-09 17:12:02

YANBU.

When i worked i had the same name as my boss and i was known as 'the other one' grin. I used to get post addressed as that as well.

Even now 5yrs later when i phone or go and see my freind i'm still called the other one.

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 02-Jun-09 17:13:17

It sounds as though it would be written very tongue in cheek.

I guess you know the person sending the email and so would know if they are being serious or trying to be funny. If they are indeed trying to be funny, go with the flow and don't make a big deal out of it.

Or you could reply that as they are having difficulty distinguishing between both of you, they can call you Mrs X and Mrs Y from now on grin

EyeballsintheSky Tue 02-Jun-09 17:22:06

That's awful Lizzie. That would definitely piss me off.

To add insult to injury, there is another Eyeballs in our office (currently on mat leave) but we don't do the same job. That was easy. We were Eyeballs M and Eyeballs B (initials). As Eyeballs is a very common name I've gone through my whole life having something pinned to the end of it so that doesn't worry me. It's the group Eyeballs thing.

And FWIW the colleague in question is an arse so I don't get the impression he's doing it to be funny ha ha hmm. And he's a bald shortarse

Turniphead1 Tue 02-Jun-09 17:41:11

Sounds to me like he has a bit of an issue with the job-sharing aspect of your roles. As in, it could be either of you that pick up a task and he is using the fact that you also share a name to be a bit of a t*at. YANBU.

Is there any way you could turn it round on him, as in is he one of many say "surveyors" so you could write something like "Could A Surveyor please submit their expenses asap" or something?

NancysGarden Tue 02-Jun-09 17:45:32

sounds rude and disrespectful tbh, even if not intended

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now