Talk

Advanced search

to be angry that someone has keyed our new car?

(13 Posts)
dingledangle Tue 02-Jun-09 15:21:25

I parked in the local supermarket car park this morning with 2 DC only to return to find someone had put a long scratch across the bonnet right down to the undercoat!

Why, oh why, oh why do people do this?

The car is a new plate but hubbie and I both work hard and it is not a 'flash' car (not that that should make a difference!). I was so angry but then appreciate it is only a car (in the scheme of things- this is me trying to rationalise the importance).

Just wonder how we will pay for it to be resprayed.....

mumOfTheYearNOT Tue 02-Jun-09 15:22:56

YANBU

Heathcliffscathy Tue 02-Jun-09 15:24:20

oh i'm so sorry. this happened to us. it is still there. sort of slightly dents my faith in humankind a bit when i see it. except that i too remember being young and angry and NOT CARING (not that i keyed cars you understand).

Bonneville Tue 02-Jun-09 15:25:23

Its jealousy. A similar thing happened to us - some scumbag(s) tried but failed to steal our car - so scratched it all over for revenge. So sorry for you sad.

dingledangle Tue 02-Jun-09 15:28:35

I cannot understand the mentality of it. We were parked in mum and baby bay.

do people assume because you have a new car you are loaded or something because that is certainly not the case.....

Does make you lose faith in humankind.....

VinegarTits Tue 02-Jun-09 15:31:40

Hopefully they will have built up enough bad karma to trip over a rock and fall in some dog shit while breaking both wrists

Where there any security cameras about?

lynniep Tue 02-Jun-09 15:36:16

I'd be more than just angry. I'd be hopping mad. STeaming even.

Our car has been keyed at least once (one obvious - one 'could have been')

Its not so new, but it is big and shiny (well not so shiny at the mo with all the bird cr*p on it) and whilst as you say, its not the be all and end all - we own this car. We paid for it with our hard earned money. We got it specially to ferry around our DS because we felt we needed something bigger and safer than our little runaround, and some aRs**ole effing wan*er just thought they'd trash it for a laugh.

I really really feel for you. Its so blimmin' unfair when stuff like this happens. Mindless idiots. angry

newpup Tue 02-Jun-09 16:13:14

I had a new car for Christmas from DH and the first time I took it to sainsburys, I came out to find a woman ramming her trolley down the side of it!! angry. When I stated that she was damaging my car she said 'shouldn't drive around in a posh car then'
shock

dingledangle Wed 03-Jun-09 11:02:59

Oh lordy newpup that is a shocker!!!

I have just had a phonecall from police to ask how I think it happened and when I said it looks to me like a person has come up and run a set of keys or something sharp across the whole bonnet he suggested that there are always other explanantions!!!!!

It was parked under CCTV but supermarket are waiting for an engineer as have been having problems with it! (but they think it is recording) Hopefully the camera will have captured the large seagull flying by my car with sharp talons as clearly someone could not be THAT malicious and key a car.........

SomeGuy Wed 03-Jun-09 11:09:27

what sort of car is it?

gagamama Wed 03-Jun-09 12:05:13

YANBU. People are sickening. It was my grandma's funeral last Thursday, and my dad and brother (along with some kind neighbours) parked their cars up the other end of the road so the hearse could stand outside our house. Later on, when they went to collect the cars, my dad's car (new this year) had a huge scratch down the entire length of it, and my brothers (fairly old but only purchased a few weeks ago) was scratched along both doors. It made me absolutely sick to the core. Luckily the neighbours who moved their cars didn't get keyed else we would've felt terrible.

Luckily the local PCSO was very sympathetic and went knocking on people's doors, but how disgusting. It was obvious there was a funeral, and all the cars were parked legally, safely and considerately - albeit outside the house of someone who doesn't like to use their drive.

Anyway, YABU. Get an incident number from the police and might be able claim on insurance, but obviously you'll have to pay excess and your premiums will go up.

gagamama Wed 03-Jun-09 12:05:46

Shit shit, I meant YANBU!

Ripeberry Wed 03-Jun-09 12:16:49

I've got an old car and get loads of scratches and bumps. Parked in a carpark once and there was a X scratched into the back panel by the filer cap.
I just carry a little pot of touch up paint with me and sort it out as i go along as if i claimed by car would be written off as too expensive to repair sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now