Talk

Advanced search

To lie to DH about what his dinner actually is?

(29 Posts)
TreeTrunkThighs Mon 01-Jun-09 19:47:23

DH is bit of a supermarket snob and hates that I shop in Lidl a lot sometimes.

Tea tonight is marinated turkey breasts from Lidl.

If he asks, AIBU to tell him it's from Asda?

FabulousBakerGirl Mon 01-Jun-09 19:48:00

yabu

you are a grown up, tell him the truth

LionstarBigPants Mon 01-Jun-09 19:48:51

Tell him they are from Fortnum & Mason if it shuts him up. If he's not cooking then he shouldn't be anything other than grateful.

nowwearefour Mon 01-Jun-09 19:48:58

why does it matter where they are from? just tell him marinated turkey breasts! dont lie but dont offer the truth if it will upset him. test him- did you like it, where do you think it is from etc etc

differentID Mon 01-Jun-09 19:49:03

if he asks just skirt around the issue. just tell him it's marinated turkey breasts you picked up doing the shopping.

BCNS Mon 01-Jun-09 19:49:03

I thought you were going to say you were serving up dog food ..

does he need to know where it comes from.. ??

good friend of mine works from the M+S cook book lol.. she hides the packets well

JonAndHate Mon 01-Jun-09 19:50:01

YANBU if you tell him after he cleared of his plate and congratulated you on another great meal wink

nickytwotimes Mon 01-Jun-09 19:50:34

Why the hell would he ask?
Why the hell would anyone care if someone else gave them their dinner.

DOn't lie.
Tell him to manage the shopping if he doesn't like the way you do things.

MmeLindt Mon 01-Jun-09 19:51:26

Tell him they are from Harrods and cost £25

Each

NeedaNewName Mon 01-Jun-09 19:52:51

Because Asda is so much better than Lidl!!!!!!

pavlovthecat Mon 01-Jun-09 19:53:14

I like 'Asda' and 'food snob' being used together!!! Is Asda higher in the snob stakes than Lidl then? grin.

poguemahone Mon 01-Jun-09 19:54:36

YANBU if you tell him the truth after he's eaten it all grin

I'd rather Lidl than Asda anyway, so I'd lie the other way around.

Gingeme Mon 01-Jun-09 19:54:57

I second nicky tell him to do his own bloody shopping if he's that bothered hmm

nevergonnapost Mon 01-Jun-09 19:58:33

here here

Grattage Mon 01-Jun-09 19:59:25

lol at asda being posher than lidl

TwoScrambled Tue 02-Jun-09 16:06:15

Tell him its Waitrose

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Tue 02-Jun-09 16:09:56

Message withdrawn

Dior Tue 02-Jun-09 16:11:46

Tell him you made them yourself...

undercovercarrot Tue 02-Jun-09 16:15:23

Just lie! I brought some chicken breasts from Iceland yesterday (Oh the shame! I actually went to the whole foods market to buy nice free range chicken breasts but they had run out, then the butchers which was closed so ended up in iceland)

I peeled the label off and told DP they were from the butchers.

A little white lie never hurt anyone - I understand - my dp is also a supermarket snob.

JessJess3908 Tue 02-Jun-09 16:25:20

I sometimes lie about what we're having when I've substituted the real versions of things for low fat versions (e.g. used turkey mince instead of beef or half fat cheese). I love it when DP can't taste the difference - I usually cave and tell him after a glass of wine tho, as I'm so smug that he didn't notice.

So YANBU - I'd do it.

Flynnie Tue 02-Jun-09 16:34:54

I have feeding dh food with tomato in it for years now(he hates tomatos and says that he can't stand the taste) I don't tell him, he seems to except that all the red sauces on pasta etc are red pepper based and we are all happywink.

As long as you are giving him proper food then I can't see the harm.

stoppinattwo Tue 02-Jun-09 17:11:19

Tell him its from a turkey.....you hope hmm

QuintessentialShadow Tue 02-Jun-09 17:14:35

oh.

I was hoping it was going to be a little more exciting than supermarket brands, more in the vein of:

"Should I tell my dh he is eating turkey while in fact I have cooked his turtle", or "Should I tell dh I have made hamster caserolle quite coincidentally".

Personally, I never told dh I gave him tinned chicken frankfurters..... I just called them hot dogs.... wink

Lucia39 Tue 02-Jun-09 18:00:26

If they're from commercially produced turkeys [i.e. factory farmed] chances are they will taste exactly the same anyway!

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Tue 02-Jun-09 18:05:27

I think the difference between Lidl turkey breasts and Asda turkey breasts should be negligable so lie if you need to but if he is happy you shopping at asda but not lidl he is hardly a food snob.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now